• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seeking Advice

10 posts in this topic

What is the absolute lowest cost to get a comic graded by CGC? (Comics from the 80’s to the present).

Here is why I ask:

For my own enjoyment, I would like to get all of the ASM’s with Hobgoblin on the cover slabbed. I am only looking for grades between 9.0 and 9.4, since these tend to be fairly cheap as opposed to 9.6+. Also, I am planning on displaying these slabs in my home so I don’t really need uber high grades.

Here is the dilemma: I have multiple issues of these comics raw that would probably achieve the grades I am looking for. Should I submit the best raw copies for grading or should I try to find them already slabbed in the grades I desire? Which would be cheaper?

For example I was able to buy a slabbed ASM Hobgoblin issue for less than $15, which I believe would be much cheaper if I had my own copy graded.

Any thoughts or advice?

I'd say buying the 9.0 copies slabbed off ebay or others that you're happy with for display will be cheaper than sending them in.

If you have 9.8 copies, send them in, sell them and then buy the 9.0's for a fraction of the cost to slab.

Modern cost - 20% + shipping is going to run you more than $15 each.

Board members routinely sell their lower grade slabbed books that didn't make the grade for blow out prices. Post a want list and see what you get. Maybe you'll get lucky.

by the time you factor in shipping.... I would think the break even point would be closer to $25 each.

does this include a 20% Heritage - and others - discount, or is it straight retail?

by the time you factor in shipping.... I would think the break even point would be closer to $25 each.

does this include a 20% Heritage - and others - discount, or is it straight retail?

The 3 times I've sent stuff in shipping has always been $18 (even for just 1 reholder). So it depends on the # of books you send in at one time.

Yeppers, got hit with it the last batch, and lost money on the deal because I had already charged the customer, and didn't feel right about charging him again.

blame fed ex, (reason given), so 10 books = $32, and if my caculations are correct that would make 20 books $42, 30 books $52.

confused-smiley-013.gif

moderns just got more expensive, about $18 a book now,

or sellers are losing more money on moderns now 27_laughing.gif