• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four #1

37 posts in this topic

Actually, I had about $3000.00 to spend and told a few dealers that I was looking for a copy in that price range.

My thinking was that I did not want to haggle over price for an FF1. I just wanted a copy in a condition that would make me happy for $3000.00.

..........then I saw this ebay auction(item #250007191630) for an FF1 that had 2 two things that I noticed.

The first thing was it had the "purple label", but, after reading the item description, it was apparent to me that the color touch was minute, at best, and the book had no marvel chipping or creases to it!! I knew this book could be mine because, even though it was an FF1, the "bidding pool" would be decreased because of the purple label.

The second thing I noticed was the fact that the auction ended on the last day of the San Diego ComicCon(Sunday night). That told me that the most of the serious buyers and bidders that would want this book would be busy in San Diego, when the book would end its auction.

Well, come Sunday, I notice no movement in price on the auction, except from MarvelSeller and JimKiick21. Now I have bought from MarvelSeller a few times, and I know he bids on these books, but he has a set "high price" he will bid that I noticed from other auctions and, JimKiick21, I thought, was just hoping to get a low price, around $1500 to $1600, on the book.

So I decided to put in a high bid of $1700 and figured, if I won the auction, I would either get the book at $1650 or lose it over my high bid of $1700. To my surprise, I won at $1625, even though I got trigger happy and placed my bid 3 minutes before the auctions end!! I was sure MarvelSeller was going to bid higher, but he didn't, and I won the book.

It took over 30 years, but I finally have a copy. Now I need copies of 4 and 5(in VG+) and I will have my 1-200 complete........ grin.gif

nice book and very nice run.............. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks......now sell my an FF4 and 5 please...!!!!

His FF 5 is(was?) for sale at Bob Storms High Grade Comics site.

poke2.gif

Raw....????

Actually, I had about $3000.00 to spend and told a few dealers that I was looking for a copy in that price range.

My thinking was that I did not want to haggle over price for an FF1. I just wanted a copy in a condition that would make me happy for $3000.00.

..........then I saw this ebay auction(item #250007191630) for an FF1 that had 2 two things that I noticed.

The first thing was it had the "purple label", but, after reading the item description, it was apparent to me that the color touch was minute, at best, and the book had no marvel chipping or creases to it!! I knew this book could be mine because, even though it was an FF1, the "bidding pool" would be decreased because of the purple label.

The second thing I noticed was the fact that the auction ended on the last day of the San Diego ComicCon(Sunday night). That told me that the most of the serious buyers and bidders that would want this book would be busy in San Diego, when the book would end its auction.

Well, come Sunday, I notice no movement in price on the auction, except from MarvelSeller and JimKiick21. Now I have bought from MarvelSeller a few times, and I know he bids on these books, but he has a set "high price" he will bid that I noticed from other auctions and, JimKiick21, I thought, was just hoping to get a low price, around $1500 to $1600, on the book.

So I decided to put in a high bid of $1700 and figured, if I won the auction, I would either get the book at $1650 or lose it over my high bid of $1700. To my surprise, I won at $1625, even though I got trigger happy and placed my bid 3 minutes before the auctions end!! I was sure MarvelSeller was going to bid higher, but he didn't, and I won the book.

It took over 30 years, but I finally have a copy. Now I need copies of 4 and 5(in VG+) and I will have my 1-200 complete........ grin.gif

poke2.gif

Raw....????

CGC 7.5 thumbsup2.gif

poke2.gif

Raw....????

CGC 7.5 thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, I saw that book..real nice, but I would rather buy one free of the CGC prison!!!

SOMEONE SELL ME A COPY OF FF4 AND FF5.........PLEASE!!!

And I would take this copy with slight restro over a ratty 2.5 for the same price.

You gonna tell everyone what you paid for it?

I'll die if it was well under $1500.00. shy.gif

I picked up my FF 1 on ebay 3 years ago. About the same condition with the same type of resto... a few black marker hits with slight bleedthrough.

FF1.jpg

$807 won it. grin.gif

The resto was undisclosed, but I decided to keep it anyway. For a price like that, I can live with a handful of pinhead-sized color hits. It's still 99.5% original parts. tongue.gif

Congrats on your book and welcome to the FF 1 club! flowerred.gif

Wow, nice book at a great price! By the way, how many members are there in the "FF1 Club"...????

And I would take this copy with slight restro over a ratty 2.5 for the same price.

You gonna tell everyone what you paid for it?

I'll die if it was well under $1500.00. shy.gif

I picked up my FF 1 on ebay 3 years ago. About the same condition with the same type of resto... a few black marker hits with slight bleedthrough.

FF1.jpg

$807 won it. grin.gif

The resto was undisclosed, but I decided to keep it anyway. For a price like that, I can live with a handful of pinhead-sized color hits. It's still 99.5% original parts. tongue.gif

Congrats on your book and welcome to the FF 1 club! flowerred.gif

Wow, nice book at a great price! By the way, how many members are there in the "FF1 Club"...????

thumbsup2.gif I've got mine cloud9.gif I sold my CGC 3.5 copy a few years ago, now I have a raw copy.

This may sound silly to a lot of you, but I would rather have an extensively restored book than one with just a color touch. Now, I am a Golden Age collector, but I prefer to look at restored books as saved books. With early Golden Age, some of the books are incredibily hard to find. So, putting a large amount of work or even making it a "frankenbook" is fine with me.

Minor color touches sound obsessive/compulsive to me. These are books that are nice to begin with. The owner just coudn't leave well enough alone.

Just my two cents.

I agree it is interesting. Its not for me but it makes sense sort of. I know when I was looking for some original WWII posters I couldn't get over the restoration done on them. Color touch pieces added etc. At least I was able to get over the idea of them being linen backed. Still, there's something about original state (the closer the better) that I like. If I just want the image I can simply get a copy or reprint.

Color Touch, even if done as fraud just doesn't bother me as much as pieces added, or chemically cleaned or trimmed.

Still TDK makes a great point and one I hadn't considered.

Minor color touch, or spots of glue seem so innocuous in comparison to pieces replace and all types of tear seals etc.

I'm thinking that Slight (P) is the area for highest potential increase in value for GA books. Think about it........

That's assuming that one doesn't have the money for HG unrestored.

Minor color touch, or spots of glue seem so innocuous in comparison to pieces replace and all types of tear seals etc.

What do you mean when you say that spots of glue seem so innocuous in comparison to tear seals? What do you think the spots of glue are doing there?

I'm thinking that Slight (P) is the area for highest potential increase in value for GA books. Think about it........

Possibly, but before that happens, you'll need to see widespread education of collectors on restoration issues, and the abandonment of the purple label. And I don't think that's going to happen.

What do you mean when you say that spots of glue seem so innocuous in comparison to tear seals? What do you think the spots of glue are doing there?

Possibly, but before that happens, you'll need to see widespread education of collectors on restoration issues, and the abandonment of the purple label. And I don't think that's going to happen.

Sometimes the minor spots of glue are there to keep fraying from continuing, sometimes to keep down a mid separation of paper such as is common on on the spines of Fox books with their low paper quality.

I say innocuous in terms of the types of books that I own with this type of restoration. I'm not saying they should achieve higher values at this time, or that they are worth near what a true unrestored book is worth, I'm saying that they are "at times" hit as hard as many frankenbooks and I'm ok buying them at a fraction of the apparent grade. I only own a few restored books, so I'm definately not cornering the market. I'm just pleased with the few I own.

Maybe by the time I'm selling, the general collecting populations opinion on slight restoration will have changed....I have time. In the meantime, if I see a book that I really want that's slight (P) at what appears to be a great price to me, I'm buying.

thumbsup2.gif