• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LSH #300 in 10.0!

22 posts in this topic

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2179108919&category=35764

This is a pretty common issue (I have two copies) but it's a 10.0! Hey Bonds25, how high do you think this will go? Do you think this guy will get the BIN on it?

The Holy Grail!! Actually, I have about 30 or 40 copies of this book all unread & uncirculated & all beautiful... I'm not saying they're 10.0s, but damn, it's an extremely common book. I bet there's heaps of 10s out there!

Unless some fools who don't know anything about common 80's DCs get in on the action, I don't see it jumping much beyond $125.

In all honesty, it shouldn't jump past 15 to 20 bucks. This is another case of people buying the slab, not the book, and that is what might kill the high grade market sooner than later. Some fool who knows nothing about comics will see how high 9.8's go and figure that a 10.0 of anything is incredible, especially a 20 year old book. This is a 5 dollar book that can be bought all day in dollar boxes. The cgc slab gives it the 15 to 20 dollars that I stated above because that is what it costs to slab it. The fact the the seller is giving away 10 more ungraded copies that he gaurantees are 9.8 or better should say something about this issue. This book should not sell for 50-60 times it's true value (about a buck) just because a couple of guys looked at it and call it a 10. If they look at it tomorrow it may be a 9.9, or even a 9.8. We have all seen 9.4s that look perfect, and 9.8s that we all agree should never have passed 9.4. These are opinions. Professional opinions from reliable sources, but opinions none-the-less. I can go to a show and find 20 copies of this book I consider to be in the 9.8 range for 20 bucks. I have been in the hobby for a long time. Not as long as some of the graders, longer than some of the graders at CGC. If I find one I call a 10, and a couple of my friends agree (also strict graders with over a decade of experience) would you give me a couple hundred dollars for the book I just bought in bulk at a buck apiece? This book will go for over a hundred, leading more greedy sellers to send in their overstock mint books. Can't blame em...I have considered it myself. There are tons of books I have that I can't dump for more than cover price (if that) that would grade at least 9.8. If I hit a couple of tens, I can sell em for 3 digits. BUt at some point, the bubble will burst, and high grade CGC books will fall faster than you can say Valiant.

Here's the census on this one:

Mint 10.0 1 0 0 0 1

Mint 9.9 1 0 0 0 1

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 26 0 0 0 26

Near Mint + 9.6 5 0 0 0 5

Near Mint 9.4 1 0 0 0 1

With nothing lower. Apparently those 9.8s are a dime a dozen. I don't think I would go over $75 on this one, and that's ONLY because it's a 10.0. I'd give someone $40 for the 9.9 and $30 for one of the 9.8s.

In all honesty, it shouldn't jump past 15 to 20 bucks...This is a 5 dollar book that can be bought all day in dollar boxes. The cgc slab gives it the 15 to 20 dollars that I stated above because that is what it costs to slab it.

I guess there are two possibilities for determining the "value of the CGC 10.0 slab".

1) The slab is only worth $15 to $20 because that's all you have to pay for it.

2) How many times do you have to slab copies of the book to get one that's 10.0?

From the census, we can see that there have been 34

Near Mint (or better) copies of the book that have been CGC graded.

So, $510 to $780 has been "invested" in CGC slabbing fees alone, for this book.

If you could "automatically" get a CGC 10.0 for the cost of the slabbing fee,

then it's definitely only worth $15 to $20 extra for the CGC 10.0.

But, there have been 34 tries and they've only netted 1 copy in CGC 10.0.

34 slabs for $510+ nets one CGC 10.0 for the market.

Why wouldn't that one copy sell for more than $20?

So are you saying that the total it would take to get a 10 based on number of submitted copies is a good barometer of it's value? That's absurd!

Really?

There are 34 copies of a $5 comic on a table...all of them have a $15 CGC slab.

Only one of them is a CGC 10.0.

How much would YOU pay for that 10.0?

What if it was 300 copies, but only one was a CGC 10.0? Would YOU pay more?

Why?

Do I think anyone should anyone pay 34 times $15 for the 10.0 book? Nope...

but collectively, people have already invested $510+ trying to get one...

and that's all they got...one.

Most of this book's value lies in having a CGC 10.0 as a conversation piece. This book's attraction is the number on the slab. Best to find your own raw 9.8 and use the $75-$100 on a nice silver-age book, IMHO.

That's completely irrational thinking posing as an excuse to justify throwing silly money at a book that relatively common in extreme high grade. Hell even I have a flawless copy and I don't even actively collect modern DC.

Thanks...You trying to justifying this comic at that price illustrates exactly what's going wrong in our hobby.

Jim

Most of this book's value lies in having a CGC 10.0 as a conversation piece. This book's attraction is the number on the slab. Best to find your own raw 9.8 and use the $75-$100 on a nice silver-age book, IMHO.

The scary thing is bids in the $75-100 range- which includes my own thrill/joy bid, aren't going to take this book home. Having watched some of barginbox's auctions before, I'd guess he's set a very aggressive reserve. I would be very surprised if this book sold.

You trying to justifying this comic at that price illustrates exactly what's going wrong in our hobby.

I think what's wrong in our hobby has less to do with the price of this one CGC 10.0,

and more to do with the people who paid $15 each to slab 34 copies of a $1 book.

What makes one person pay $100+ for the CGC 10.0 is fun to argue...

but what makes multiple people pay $15 for a plastic slab,

when they could own a dozen copies of the book for that same $15?

Questionable individuals ($19k for CGC 9.8 Hulk 181) aren't "the hobby".

The hobby is the collective mass of "normal collectors"...

Why are they (or WE), en masse, paying $15 each to slab $1 books?

You trying to justifying this comic at that price illustrates exactly what's going wrong in our hobby.

I think what's wrong in our hobby has less to do with the price of this one CGC 10.0,

and more to do with the people who paid $15 each to slab 34 copies of a $1 book.

Boys, boys, can't we all just agree that it is the most undervalued comic book of all time and the apex of DCs creative and spiritual dominance over the Marvelites?

I mean, virtually EVERY artist at DC at the time contributed to the cover. Ah, the history. The mind wobbles.

I am usually with you Valiantman, but your logic on this one doesn't work. Using your logic, there have been 1292 attempts at getting a perfect Spawn #1, and only 6 have gotten the ten. That means you only get 1 ten for ever 215 copies submitted. At 15 bucks per submission that means a Spawn #1 in 10.0 is worth a little over 3200 dollars. I understand how hard it is to get a 10.0, but how much better is a 10.0 than a 9.8? None of us can agree on it. We all argue CGC grading from time to time. This is not a computer with some superscanner using thousands of points of reference and an established standard setting the grade.... it is a handful of guys in a warehouse. They do a good job... a great job even.... but they are far from perfect.

It is getting to where people are saying "Oh that is just a 9.6, I only collect 9.8's or better" But some of those 9.6's get resubmitted and get the 9.8. I have a 9.4 book with the modern label that I am sure would get a 9.8 blue label if I resubmitted it. It is a nicer copy than my 9.8 of the same exact book. At some point, people are going to realize that there is almost no difference from a 9.6 to a 9.8 to a 10.0. It is all about when it was graded. If you sent a grader a longbox full of super high grade Spawn #1's and that is all he saw all day, then you give him a nice Hulk 181, he might give the Hulk a 9.4. If you sent the same Hulk after he spent all day grading Bronze age books in the 7.0 range, it might get a 9.6.. even a 9.8. These are individual opinions on grades made by human beings. If the book in high grade is worth 5 bucks, then it might be worth 10 bucks in super high grade.. but not 100 bucks just because a group of guys call it a 10 instead of a 9.8.

I am usually with you Valiantman, but your logic on this one doesn't work. Using your logic, there have been 1292 attempts at getting a perfect Spawn #1, and only 6 have gotten the ten. That means you only get 1 ten for ever 215 copies submitted. At 15 bucks per submission that means a Spawn #1 in 10.0 is worth a little over 3200 dollars.

No, that's not what I'm saying here.

I'm saying that we've seen $3200 in total slabbing fees

for each existing CGC 10.0 copy of Spawn #1.

That fact alone pushes CGC 10.0 Spawn #1 beyond a market where

"I'll pay $1 for the book plus $15 for the slab" should work.

How far it pushes the value is always up to the market itself...

and actually, it's up to the second-highest bidder. smile.gif

I bought a NM copy for .50 at a show a few weeks ago. I already have one but it was an impulse buy "hm, that's nice and for 50 cents why not...".

I haven't compared it to the one I already had, but one of them goes onto the doubles pile. It does have a real pretty cover!

dave h

This is definitely a continuation of a problem that surfaced alot in the 80s and 90s. Remember when people would buy 20+ copies speculating on new books. Now these same people are cherry picking these and sending them in to CGC. I got caught up in this, I was young and stupid, sure every once in a while you hit what turned out to be a nice book, but even those are now worth only $15-$20. I slowly started to learn that the $40 I spent speculating on one new book was better off spent on older stuff. Looking at the book in question and the current price I'd much rather throw that on a nice CGC Werewolf by Night #1 or a Green Lantern #59. I mean for the BIN you could have this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2178815359&category=32733 cool.gif

to my mind there is no comparison. Whether its good for the hobby or not is debateable, but its a dumb purchase all day long at the price that it looks to sell for.makepoint.gif

This is definitely a continuation of a problem that surfaced alot in the 80s and 90s. Remember when people would buy 20+ copies speculating on new books. Now these same people are cherry picking these and sending them in to CGC. I got caught up in this, I was young and stupid, sure every once in a while you hit what turned out to be a nice book, but even those are now worth only $15-$20. I slowly started to learn that the $40 I spent speculating on one new book was better off spent on older stuff. Looking at the book in question and the current price I'd much rather throw that on a nice CGC Werewolf by Night #1 or a Green Lantern #59. I mean for the BIN you could have this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2178815359&category=32733 cool.gif

to my mind there is no comparison. Whether its good for the hobby or not is debateable, but its a dumb purchase all day long at the price that it looks to sell for.makepoint.gif

Oooo! Directly related to my OTHER favorite book... Green Lantern 195! You guys are hitting all the bases! wink.gif