• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New 3,000 Golden Age Collection/Pedigree Revealed in CBG

226 posts in this topic

First post. Anyway, this has been a great discussion and got me wondering: what is everyone's opinions of what % of overstreet guide, on average, you'd be willing to pay for mid - grade (6.0 - 8.5) unslabbed, average demand books (similar to the type of run we're discussing here)? For example, a dealer like Harley Yee advertises that he usually pays at least 60% of guide for books of this nature. I'm interested in hearing the dealer and collector perspectives. I know this varies widely depending on the type of book, so I understand it's hard to quantify.

So, basically some books were cherrypicked and sold before you bought this whole thing?

Does anyone have any idea of what other big keys were there before the individual selling started? Mark, Jack? Was it an option for you just to buy certain books but not all?

So, basically some books were cherrypicked and sold before you bought this whole thing?

Does anyone have any idea of what other big keys were there before the individual selling started? Mark, Jack? Was it an option for you just to buy certain books but not all?

From my discussions with Jack and my specific knowledge of what was in the original collection before any sales, I don't believe any "big keys" were sold before Jack purchased it. From a dollar standpoint I think the Showcase #4 was likely the "biggest" and I recall Jack and I both agreed it graded about a fine. Now in no way does this downplay the significance of books like Reform School Girls, which is a great find and is one of the books on my short list to own, but it wasn't a high dollar book (to me at least, this is subjective of course).

It was not an option for me to purchase individual or groups of books. It was discussed, but I saw the collection perhaps a month or two before Jack did and the family preferred to sell it in its entirety. In fact, I recommended to the family that they continue to keep the collection whole because they would be stuck with many books after the key books were cherry picked. I believe I identified about roughly 200-300 or so books that really made the collection from a dollar standpoint.

Apparently the family was unable to identify someone who would pay their price for the entire collection (some dealers gave really low numbers and while I think our offer was more than fair from a dealer standpoint, it was still clearly less than they wanted, which was retail), so the local dealer who ultimately took over the transaction (the family member I was dealing with moved to the West Coast) brought the books to a show to sell individually and thats when Jack came into the picture (Jack, correct me if I got something wrong of course). They needed a collector to buy the collection, not a "dealer".

So, Jack was great for the family. And the collection was great for Jack! Everyone was happy! The way it should be with comics. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Impact1DblCvr.jpg

Dbl. Cover

I will own a high grade copy of this book someday. It contains the best illustrated story I have ever read. Krigstein was a master and "Master Race" was his masterpiece. Simply incredible. I would love to have the opportunity to talk to you about this book. PM me if you are willing to.

Scott

Showcase 4 was sold the day before I picked them up and about a dozen or so 50s Science fiction had been sold on Ebay a few days before I bought all of them. The brokers had planned on selling them individually FOR the people and then I talked them into a transaction that was adaquately UNDER guide which suited me fine. (despite suggestions that it was sold at a retail price). The Reform School girl and the Ebay ones were about it as far as books being sold. I have the owners original notes which were in the Gerber Photo Guide and there are NO indications that there were any other titles or "key" books which were removed. There were several dozen issues of Detective and Action. Ditto for Adventure. No copies of More Fun. A few All Stars (Last couple of issues), as well as Sensation. I hope that answers your question. Mark was the only dealer who physically looked at the books besides the Comic guy who owned the shop in Williamsport and his friend who has a shop in Scranton.

Best Wishes,

Jack Juka

I hope you will appreciate seeing more although I can't take them out of the bags. I have recieved a lot of positive encouragement and will share whenever I get the chance.The colors are slightly subdued through the mylar though.

Jack Juka Batman88fc.jpg