• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New 3,000 Golden Age Collection/Pedigree Revealed in CBG

226 posts in this topic

If it LOOKS like a DUCK, it probably IS a DUCK. Decide for yourself.

Thanks again for all the great comments. You made my day. There will be a real nice Captain Marvel #32 listed later tonight for any Captain Marvel fans out there.

Jack Juka

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230019136943

I would bid on some of your books, but your shipping is way too high, $7.00..!!!

screwy.gif At leasst it's not $50! insane.gif

I'm taking everything in this thread with a grain of salt.

Even this post. yeahok.gif

I agree with you. How many of us saw the collection firsthand? 27_laughing.gif (Apologies to Flying Donut and Esquire and anyone else who saw it)

Why can't people just let it go? Equire and multi obviously already did.

comics_tight.jpgvault_of_horror_40__2.jpgvault_of_horror_39.jpgvault_of_horror_37.jpgvault_of_horror_36.jpgvault_of_horror_35.jpgvault_of_horror_33.jpgvault_of_horror_121.jpgCaptain_America_78__1.jpg

I have posted the above images so that the collectors out there have an idea of what the books looked like from the collection. There are literally hundreds of books that are in this grade. If I can dig up some more images that I took when I saw the books, I will post them for collectors to view.

From what I have seen and read, this is basically a mole hill heading up to

mountain stature.

Nice books,

Closed auctions mrs.g02

Current offerings ok,

Current offerings mrs.g02

Prices relatively in line with what is offered.

Jack ! Ask the wife to ditch the ebay pics. Folks like me want to see

a big honkin' scan, of both the front and the back. After I've been burned

a couple of hundred times on buying comics with a small pic, I've all but

given up bidding on one with an Epic. On the webshops or when I was

doing ebay regularly, BIG pics sell more, FOR more.

And don't take the "scab picking" going on here as a reason to hate

the whole group, after all, we're all just little boys and little girls who are

absolutely convinced that my comic book collection is better than yours.

Phil flowerred.gif

As FD revealed, this was not a "new" find in the sense that it just became known. I saw the collection 14 months ago and Jack purchased it not long after and at least one year ago as he and I became acquainted at the end of August 2005. So Jack has held it already for one year and he is simply selling those books he didn't much care for and/or to simply recoup some of the cost. Whatever the reason it doesn't matter, the books are Jacks and he can do whatever he wants with them. His reason is none of our concern unless he wishes to share it with us. More power to him.

I can't say enough that the collection is a great one, whether Jack paid retail, under retail or over retail. Jack and I share a passion for history and to have purchased an OO collection is a great feeling. The money is irrelevant unless you are purchasing it for immediate resale, which is what FD and I were going to do if a price could have been negotiated that we were comfortable with.

Again, as far as grading goes, frankly I consider myself a very conservative grader. One reason why I primarily sell CGC books. Very often do I find myself not agreeing with the grades CGC assigns, especially for GA books. Are they right? Am I right? Who knows, and who cares. I don't need to tell these boards that grading is subjective so it might well be that there are more HG books than I "saw". Of course, it also depends on what each person believes constitutes HG for GA books. The books that would have sold quickly I thought were more low to mid grade, with definitely some higher grade books in the later years. There were numerous books that I think many people would consider higher grade (or perhaps HG, but not CGC chart toppers) but these were titles like Captain Marvel Jr, Captain Marvel Adventures, EC's, etc, books that will definitely sell but over a period of time that FD and I didn't want to wait.

I know what Jack basically paid, but that is for him to reveal if he chooses and in any event is not really anyone's concern or business. I've said what FD and I thought the collection was worth from a retail standpoint, and I know what the collection contains. My recollection, without checking, was that the 3,000 would be the GA books and then add another 1,500 - 2,000 of 1980s-90s books.

Jack did more than fine in purchasing the collection because he did so primarily out of a love for the books, not the bottom $ line. And I applaud him for that. I wish I could have done that, but again it just wasn't an option.

And - HEY GERMANY GUY - why don't you reveal yourself and say why you spun my comments as so negative! Shame on you. makepoint.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

After reading all the posts, I'm with Dawg. He's nailed it. I've been on the wrong side of this scenario many times in the past. You do your due diligence and make the best offer you can and wait - hoping the seller sees the value you bring to the deal. Then you hear the collection sold to someone else for a price that's hard to believe.

One thing for sure is true - all those glossy VF's and NM's just don't look as nice once you get them home...

It's a very nice collection and the buyer should be proud to own it, but bottom line is anyone can pay too much for old comics.

Hi all,

I just sent the J`s an E-mail stating "they are talking about you" and provided the link. Is this understood in english as "talking negative about you"? If so I did not intend it. When I read the thread I didn`t even realize the talking was negative, altough I wondered about the collection beeing described as mainly low and/or midgrade. I am not an expert but I can hardly imagine that too many of original owner collections of this size and quality are to be discovered in the future. At least I helped creating a spirited discussion...

mea culpa

Thomas

Either way, the comments could easily be viewed as arrogant, condescending and insulting, even if they were not intended to be.

No, not really. It looked pretty honest to me which may be the problem.

There should be a probationary period before a noobie is allowed to post.

It's really not fair that anyone with a keyboard and some comic books has equal opportunity to blurt their opinions right or wrong and then duck out with "put me on ignore".

Why the hell not? There have been reputations sullied and relationships damanged on these boards by little more then opinions.

I've met and dealt with mcmiles a number of times in person. Very decent guy and someone who could be a real asset to these boards. But its the typical response like that above and of other posters in this thread that tends to limit the number of new posters who bother to stick around for the long haul.

He voiced his opinion, which seemed neither biased nor particularly harsh, then gets run through the ringer for his troubles. Nice.

Jack ! Ask the wife to ditch the ebay pics. Folks like me want to see

a big honkin' scan, of both the front and the back. After I've been burned

a couple of hundred times on buying comics with a small pic,

At 75 cents to "SUPERSIZE" and auction, it makes more sense to email a scan to whoever wants one. That 75 cents adds up FAST. She always states that if you need a better look, please ask for a scan.

And in the future, I will not mention CGC in the Title in honor of all of you who have been nice. Thanks.

Jack

I'd post more scans but don't know how. Anyone willing to post a few I can email several when I have a chance. There's some really neat stuff like a double cover Impact # 1 plus a double cover of the Batman comic which has the 1st appearance of Bathound.Vault of Horror12 may have a double cover if I recall. I don't have many scanned, but would be happy to share as long as it doesn't spark further controversy. The German fellow meant nothing with his comments to me. He was just pointing out that it was an active topic. The best thing about these books is the paper quality. I can count the ones which have even a "HINT" of interior paper tanning on one hand (although a few ECs have some light tanning inside the front covers at the edge), and still have three fingers left. Nice even paper quality. Being involved with pulps for many years, I can appreciate paper with no tanning. Again, this was all very interesting.

There should be a probationary period before a noobie is allowed to post.

It's really not fair that anyone with a keyboard and some comic books has equal opportunity to blurt their opinions right or wrong and then duck out with "put me on ignore".

Why the hell not? There have been reputations sullied and relationships damanged on these boards by little more then opinions.

makepoint.gif

Are you saying that it is fair for somebody to blurt an obviously wrong opinion and then duck out? If you are then you do not have a clue either.

Esquire was right all along on this collection.

Most of the noobies on these boards cannott handle the truth. yeahok.gif

At 75 cents to "SUPERSIZE" and auction, it makes more sense to email a scan to whoever wants one. That 75 cents adds up FAST. She always states that if you need a better look, please ask for a scan.

And in the future, I will not mention CGC in the Title in honor of all of you who have been nice. Thanks.

Jack

Goto photobucket.com now and set up an account. The basic one is free and you should probably get the next plan which costs a whopping $20 a year or close to. Once images are uploaded to photobucket you can insert them directly into the ebay auctions (or this board) Its very simple and takes about 2-3 hours of trial and error before you have it all mastered. You'll wonder why you didn't do it before. And ebay doesn't charge for these pics. They truly make money off of folks who simply don't know better.

Are you saying that it is fair for somebody to blurt an obviously wrong opinion and then duck out? If you are then you do not have a clue either.

Um..."obviously wrong opinion".....sit and dwell on that for a minute.

As for having a clue, I think its clear who's missing it here.

Hi all,

I just sent the J`s an E-mail stating "they are talking about you" and provided the link. Is this understood in english as "talking negative about you"? If so I did not intend it. When I read the thread I didn`t even realize the talking was negative, altough I wondered about the collection beeing described as mainly low and/or midgrade. I am not an expert but I can hardly imagine that too many of original owner collections of this size and quality are to be discovered in the future. At least I helped creating a spirited discussion...

mea culpa

Thomas

No Thomas, that certainly would not, by itself, be considered negative. Just a misunderstanding and definitely not anything that needs to be taken any further.

These boards need more non-US participants since the love of comics extends far beyond our borders so please do participate more. thumbsup2.gif

I think that the question of grade or price is separate from the idea that this is obviously a great collection and I think it's a tremendous that thuis story has been brought to the public. I hope we will see more books and get a sense of the great history in this collection. I honestly think that on the whole, nobody wanted to disparage this collection at all.

Jack

Goto photobucket.com now and set up an account. The basic one is free and you should probably get the next plan which costs a whopping $20 a year or close to. Once images are uploaded to photobucket you can insert them directly into the ebay auctions (or this board) Its very simple and takes about 2-3 hours of trial and error before you have it all mastered. You'll wonder why you didn't do it before. And ebay doesn't charge for these pics. They truly make money off of folks who simply don't know better.

Agreed! thumbsup2.gif

Um..."obviously wrong opinion".....sit and dwell on that for a minute.

As for having a clue, I think its clear who's missing it here.

No need to dwell at all. obviously wrong as in "he overpaid for the books". This is the only reason that he got the books. He was willing to pay more. foreheadslap.gif

as in too much. foreheadslap.gif

As for having a clue, yes its clear who's missing it here. frown.gif

he overpaid for the books from a dealer's perspective, I think that's what he's saying. of course, every dealer has a different idea of what they need in terms of profit for something to make sense. from a collector's perspective, if they can break even and in the process keep some of the ones they really like, then it's all good, no?

he overpaid for the books from a dealer's perspective, I think that's what he's saying. of course, every dealer has a different idea of what they need in terms of profit for something to make sense. from a collector's perspective, if they can break even and in the process keep some of the ones they really like, then it's all good, no?

Works for me! thumbsup2.gif

Works for me! thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif