• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: CGC Forum Philanthropy

71 posts in this topic

"2 - Obtain donations from CGC that could be auctioned to raise money for the fund. Perhaps CGC would be kind enough to donate ten free economy submissions, ten free modern submissions, a free grading guide, etc. These could then be auctioned off directly via CGC, the said charity, or via a Forum member"

David,

CGC will do something for this, call me at the office on Monday and we can work something out. I love the fact that you people are doing this!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

David,

CGC will do something for this, call me at the office on Monday and we can work something out. I love the fact that you people are doing this!

[best O Brother, Where Art Thou voice]We're bonified now![/best O Brother, Where Art Thou voice]

insane.gif

"2 - Obtain donations from CGC that could be auctioned to raise money for the fund. Perhaps CGC would be kind enough to donate ten free economy submissions, ten free modern submissions, a free grading guide, etc. These could then be auctioned off directly via CGC, the said charity, or via a Forum member"

David,

Very cool Steve!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Very cool Steve!

I got to meet Steve in Philly and he's a cool dude! I knew CGC would help out on this one. You know I'm in DAM.

On a side note (semi-related), next Friday I am going to be a guest speaker for my sister's class (she teaches 4th grade). I'm going to talk to them about comics and my collection. I'm taking in some of my books and artwork to show the kids and answer questions for them. My hope is that they will get interested in comics and that will translate into them reading this summer even while school is out. I'm also taking in each kid (2) comics. Superman 10cent Adventures (yeah, I'm cheap tongue.gif) and Batman Adventures from Free Comic Day (donated today by my LCS). I'm looking forward to it.

Back to the thread.........(Sorry DAM)

Chris

Why don't we all donate "raw" books, and ask CGC if they will donate the "slabs".

We can send the children tons of comics to READ, and "slab" a bunch of HG books to sell on Ebay.

This is a great idea you guys are doing! The idea of CGC donating the slabs has been done before over at PCGS. Back a few months after 9/11 a few members got PCGS to slab a bunch of NY state quarters with a special insert. They then held auctions on EBAY and all prcoceds went to the 9/11 fund. Both COIN WORLD and NUSMATIC NEWS did a write up on this to help spread the word.

I am going to put up a post on the coin side to see if anyone can remember more or to refer the people that were involved in this to this post. CHRIS

I posted a question on the coin side to see if anyone could remember who was involved and here is the responce I got

Chris:

I wrote a story about this that was published in the March or April issue of Numismatist. I am having an email problem right now, but if you want, on the PCGS board pm me your email address (becuase I am unsure how to receive pm's on this board) and I'll see if I can scan a copy of the article and eventually send it to you.

As far as the main people involved in the 9-11 quarters, it was Wondercoin (Mitch) and RegistryCoin (Steve) with a bunch of added help from CosmicDebris and others.

Mark

I will contact Wondercoin, RegiistryCoin and CosmicDebris to see what input they have and when I get that piece from Mark I will post it. CHRIS

Very cool Steve!

I got to meet Steve in Philly and he's a cool dude! I knew CGC would help out on this one. You know I'm in DAM.

On a side note (semi-related), next Friday I am going to be a guest speaker for my sister's class (she teaches 4th grade). I'm going to talk to them about comics and my collection. I'm taking in some of my books and artwork to show the kids and answer questions for them. My hope is that they will get interested in comics and that will translate into them reading this summer even while school is out. I'm also taking in each kid (2) comics. Superman 10cent Adventures (yeah, I'm cheap tongue.gif) and Batman Adventures from Free Comic Day (donated today by my LCS). I'm looking forward to it.

Back to the thread.........(Sorry DAM)

Chris

Chris, that sounds awesome!!! what books and art are you going to show? I think you'll have a great time and you know I support giving out such fine DC titles as the Batman Adventures FCBD and the Superman 10 cent! grin.gif

Keep me posted,

Chirs F - thanks very much for digging a bit. I would love to hear what you are able to find out. I plan to post a new poll on Monday regarding if we should go for Actor or CBLDF but want to wait till then to let people that otherwise wouldn't have seen this post have the chance to contribute.

DAM

what books and art are you going to show?

I figure that Wolverine and Spidey are the most popular w/ kids, so I'll be bringing in Hulk #181, Wolverine #1, ASM #100 & 238, Secret Wars #8 to pass around (they're all CGC'd). I'll probably bring in some Hulks to show and some Fantastic Fours (but won't pass those around).

As for art, I'm going to bring in some sketches - Doom, The Mask (I'm sure they'll like that one), Punisher and a Super Villain Team Up page. I have some Bullets pages, but 1 is def. not appropriate, and I'll have to check the others for language. Also, will bring those Andy Lee water-color paintings I got in Philly. (The Doom one has been a hit w/ everyone I know!).

I had also bought the current Xmen issue to give out as well. I didn't check it out in the store. I got home and opened it. D'OH! 893whatthe.gif The very first page had images of crucifixtion! I can't give those out!!! I'd have some heated parents!

Chris

Here is a link to what we did with some NY Quarters to help raise money for the families of Fire Fighters that lost their lives on 9/11/01:

PCGS Page

We donated the coins and PCGS donated the slabbing. Only 100 Coins were graded, slabbed and labeled NY FireFighter 9-11 PCGS Limited Edition. The coins were as numbered 1 of 100 etc. We then auctioned them off right on the CU US coin forum.

We raised over $40,000

Okay, I shouldn't have deleted that last post.

Deadline is Friday June 20th at 12 noon

I have already contacted Comics 4 Kids regarding a book donation and will keep you posted regaring their response (although I am sure it will be very positive).

Thanks guys,

DAM

I have already contacted Comics 4 Kids regarding a book donation and will keep you posted regaring their response (although I am sure it will be very positive).

I donated about 300 books last year to Comics 4 Kids. So far this year I've donated close to 200 books. Dale Moore does a great job with this charity and I'd love to get them some press (and more books). grin.gif

Update

I spoke with Steve today and this is really going to be shaping up into something big!! Steve volunteered the following:

1 - Free grading for Forum Member Donations

CGC volunteered to offer to grade a limited amount of selected books donated by forum members (The submitter must pay postage to and from CGC) with the CGC certified comic book then being sold on ebay under the id "CGCForums". This ebay id will be run by myself and will have all the proceeds going to the charity that we as a forum decide upon as per the above poll. Any interested forum members, please PM me

2 - Vouchers for Grading for the Said Charity

CGC also volunteered to offer to the charities that we select a voucher for 10 free modern submissions and 10 free economy submissions that the charity could then raffle off. The winner will still have to pay shipping to and from CGC.

This is an incredibly generous offer that could help us easily meet the preliminary goal of $1,000.

After the poll is concluded, I'll start a new thread with some action items. In the meantime, I highly encourage people to pm me with any books that they would like to have slabbed.

I have a great feeling about this!

DAM

CGC volunteered to offer to grade a limited amount of selected books donated by forum members (The submitter must pay postage to and from CGC) with the CGC certified comic book then being sold on ebay under the id "CGCForums". This ebay id will be run by myself and will have all the proceeds going to the charity that we as a forum decide upon as per the above poll. Any interested forum members, please PM me

Can we send the donated book in with a batch of books we are grading for ourselves so we don't have to pay an extra shipping fee?

Jonny D.?

Can we send the donated book in with a batch of books we are grading for ourselves so we don't have to pay an extra shipping fee?

Jonny D.?

Update

Provided that the book has been cleared for submission, YES you may send in the books with other paid submissions to save on shipping fees.

The guidelines for submissions are:

$25 for a modern

$45 for an economy

You still must PM me for approval before sending books.

Thanks very much for all the interest,

DAM

Provided that the book has been cleared for submission, YES you may send in the books with other paid submissions to save on shipping fees.

$25 for a modern

$45 for an economy

DAM

What do the guidelines you listed above refer to? Submission fees? How much the books is worth?

$25 for a modern

$45 for an economy

DAM

What do the guidelines you listed above refer to? Submission fees? How much the books is worth?

Yeah ,..sorry I don't get those figures either??? Are those the limits on the worth of the book?? 893whatthe.gif