• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how much do you think this is worth

17 posts in this topic

hey fellow comic collectors, there is no assigned grade, front cover is a laserprint exact copy of a g- , back cover is a june 1938 backcover of crackajack comics same back cover just different coloring, and inside pages or the superman story from action comics , once again it is only the superman pages. 948906-act%231.jpg

589a91214e9f9_1355169-948906-act231.jpg.bc1e5d9d8c97c119a302659321d25a0f.jpg

I personally find this sort of thing next to worthless - but there is probably someone out there willing to pay $1000 just to own the Superman pages from Action #1 (assuming that's where they are really from).

hey fellow comic collectors, there is no assigned grade, front cover is a laserprint exact copy of a g- , back cover is a june 1938 backcover of crackajack comics same back cover just different coloring, and inside pages or the superman story from action comics , once again it is only the superman pages. 1355169-948906-act%25231.jpg

Its kind of stupid, but here's a formula for this:

Overstreet Good price X. 0.25 = coverless price

Each page = 1/64 of the coverless price.

Add them all up.

Best way I could give a value.

Wonder if someone broke the individual wraps out of their Cgc slabs to create this illusion of an Action #1? cLink used to have the Superman wraps listed asking $1k each, I believe. Later listed at Heritage, but not sure if they ever sold.

Also, those 5? wraps would probably equate to 1/2 the value of a coverless copy?

I personally find this sort of thing next to worthless - but there is probably someone out there willing to pay $1000 just to own the Superman pages from Action #1 (assuming that's where they are really from).

Maybe a decent amount more. I was stunned to see that the Subby pages cut from a copy of Marvel Comics #1 sold for $1200 on ebay a couple weeks ago. Somebody here posted this in another thread recently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...W%3AIT&rd=1

Maybe a decent amount more. I was stunned to see that the Subby pages cut from a copy of Marvel Comics #1 sold for $1200 on ebay a couple weeks ago. Somebody here posted this in another thread recently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...W%3AIT&rd=1

I actually had that auction sniped, and just missed out by a few dollars. I wish I had set my snipe higher, but I thought I'd set it high enough to win considering how low it was sitting right up until the end of the auction frown.gif

In my opinion, the main reason that auction went so high, is that the subby story contains the centerfold to the book. So if whoever won that auction had a Marvel 1 missing a centerfold, they probably just made themselves a good amount of $$.

I can't really go with Donut's formula - the center wrap would usually be the most valuable part of a coverless incomplete key. Complete wraps would be worth more than cut pages and the first wrap would probably have more value than most others - especially if it has the splash featuring the main character.

And in this particular case the complete Superman pages would have more value than any other complete story.

That kind of money for the Marvel Comics subby pages only makes sense if they include the centerfold as Filter states. I'm guessing there is at least one copy of every key missing a centerfold with an owner that wouldn't mind having a married copy.

Just out of curiosity, were the pages on this really trimmed to fit the xerox cover like it says on the label? To me that would hurt the value more than it would help. (Now the pages are trimmed if someone needs one to complete an incomplete Action 1.)

Still cool though. PM me if you ever want to sell it. I buy stuff like this all the time.

but the pages are trimmed too, which is a problem. let's say there's an action 1 out there with the superman pages ripped out, and now you can "complete" it with these, well, the pages are trimmed and are now the wrong size. yes, sure, sticking the superman pages back in an reattaching would be an act of restoration, true, but chopped up re-inserted pages....

they're worth something, sure. of course, worth less in my mind having been trimmed and we can't even see them in that dumb slab because of the crappy laser printed cover. what a dumb idea. nobody cares about a repro cover, they want to see the real stuff underneath.

this "book" can't be woth more than $500, even to a hardcore Superman collector. The whole thing is smoke and mirrors. You have a reproduction front cover, the rear cover of the wrong book, and the whole thing is presented as a comic book missing most of its pages....pathetic FRAUD. Assuming the interior pages are from an Action 1, this scam would have to be cracked out of its case, fake book taken apart, and the trimmed interior pages framed indivually as artwork for a finished basement or office...this is $500 of wall art.

I don't understand the appeal of owning pieces of a key - even if the complete book is unaffordable, but there is a market out there. Covers only and coverless copies I can see buying, if for no other reason than the evetual hope of a married copy, or an incomplete book with a cool cover if the price is right. Ever since the ebay auction a year or two ago where someone paid over $500 for a ratty copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 with a huge chunk missing from the ENTIRE book - rendering it not only unreadable, but unusable for parts as well, I am no longer surprised at what people will pay for parts of a key or copies that are beyond salvage.

I can't really go with Donut's formula - the center wrap would usually be the most valuable part of a coverless incomplete key. Complete wraps would be worth more than cut pages and the first wrap would probably have more value than most others - especially if it has the splash featuring the main character.

And in this particular case the complete Superman pages would have more value than any other complete story.

That kind of money for the Marvel Comics subby pages only makes sense if they include the centerfold as Filter states. I'm guessing there is at least one copy of every key missing a centerfold with an owner that wouldn't mind having a married copy.

Of course, you could go up or down - I just wanted to give a baseline of value. I had the first wrap to All-American 16 once, and it sold on eBay for about $600. Seeing as the first two pages had the origin of Green Lantern on them, I could understand it.