• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Grade My Detective #73

37 posts in this topic

I asked Metropolis about a Tec 73 that they had listed several weeks ago, it was the only one they had listed. This looks like the book, it looks great, I almost bought it. It was listed as VF 8.0, with moderate restoration. They said they had bought the book restored, weren't sure what was done to it, but they thought it was cleaned, tear seals and staple reinforecment.

i bought it from metropolis a couple of days ago. it was listed as VF. I was using their treasure hunt feature and it popped up as 50% off. It wasn't labeled as restored. The problem being that the 1/8 inch off the top left corner and the 1/16 inch off of batman's cape came off onto the mylar and i didn't notice it until I left their building.

I don't even collect DC or Golden Age (first book I bought) but it was too good of a deal to pass up...at least I thought.

They had it listed with mr, which means moderate restoration. If its the same book you were asking about in another thread, you got it for a fair price, but I think its restored. One of my favorite covers, the only Golden Age Scarecrow Detective cover.

oh man. it is restored. i just noticed the label as mr. i didn't pick it up as restored from the listing online and the fact that they advertised it as 50% the list price threw me. it is the same book I asked about. heh. oh well. live and learn. next time I won't stray far from my collecting interests.

damn. you're right though, it's a nice book.

anyways, with that out of the way, what's the grade?

Wow, this has taken quite a turn...

Just to be clear...when you took the book out of the Mylar, those color touch areas stayed adhered to the Mylar? I'd say that's worth a phone call to Metro in the morning... blush.gif

yep. i've already contacted them about it. I'm still seeing if they'll take it back in a return or not. Like I said in the other thread, those pieces out of a cover really annoy me :P

I looked at the book because I was considering picking it up. Metropolis did have it listed online as VF with moderate restoration.

My advise, don't return the book. The only copies I see of this book are low grade or restored. If it bothers you that much, maybe you can use it for trade for a better copy when one come along.

As for the grade. I'd give it a VERY FINE- (7.5).

They had it listed with mr, which means moderate restoration.

Ahem, this is how they bring it to your attention as a buyer that the book is "moderately resored"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"mr"? How about MODERATE RESTORATION INCLUDING . . . foreheadslap.gif

In Metropolis grading section, there is a key to what the abbriations mean. They do this to save space.

Also, several dealers use "mr" for moderate restoration. It is not a new thing.

It comes down to this, people have to do their homework before making a purchase. Especially when from a website or eBay.

Is your 7.5 grade a reflection of how GA books get a pass because they are older?

I've seen many SA books in this section get far worse grades with the amount of creasing and color loss on the cover. I was thinking 6.0/6.5 area but I've seen some very strict folks hand out grades less than fine for comparible damage as I recall.

This isn't meant as criticism, I'm just trying to get an understanding of the GA grading process.

Thanks

This was my mistake more than anything else. I thought it was labeled as unrestored but I'm probably wrong. I don't usually buy Golden Age (was looking to start though) and I should have done my homework better.

I don't mind restoration at all. And my grading was in line with BuckeyeChaos due to the damage that the book had. I usually only buy Late Silver/Bronze Age, so any missing pieces off the cover throw me. Since the book is already restored, I probably could just add the pieces that came off the cover to the book and it would look as appealing as it originally did.

thanks guys; i appreciate the help!