• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thanks Alot, Chuck! <sarcasm>

48 posts in this topic

and NO ONE would let something like that out the door if it pertained to him/herself.

That's exactly what I thought, and why I brought it up in the first place. Maybe Chuck thought it would garner sympathy for the guy (came from nothing, but was able to amass this sweet collection of books). All it does is make it sound like the guy grew up in a culturally-void vacuum. It's a total put-down on his parents and his home.

Chris

OG's on point again. And that was my point as well. Deal is done. C'mon FF, I know you're not that naive. Do you really think anyone would provide information like THAT for a bio on themself? Would you?

Yes, I would. Check out my "location" to the left of all my posts. I don't really live in the boonies--I live in a suburban area about a quarter-mile behind a Barnes and Noble and within walking distance of a movie theater--but a lot of people think the entire Southeastern US is the "boonies," and I'm playing upon that misconception. It doesn't help Virginia's image that a guy about a county away from me was arrested last year for having sexual relations with his neighbor's cows over a period of several years. 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

I did live in the boonies for a few years as a kid, though...and I definitely read more comics during that time than at any other. I don't mind depicting myself as a country bumpkin because I'm confident in myself and know it's not really true.

How do you know Dallas can't yank the books from Chuck if he wanted to? That's usually an option for people using a dealer for consignment. Even if the provisions of a contract stipulate Chuck gets a certain period of time to sell them, since the customer pool is rather small for high-end, big-ticket books, if Dallas got pissed at Rozanski, he could probably bad-mouth him into submission if he wanted to. I haven't seen any indication that Rozanski is the thorough snake and dimwit he'd have to be to intentionally demean somebody he was in a business deal with.

I still don't get why he used Rozanski for consignment, unless a big chunk of the collection is [!@#%^&^]. If it's mostly hard-to-find vintage high-dollar stuff, Rozanski is one of the worst national dealers I can think of to sell it; the overgrading of his staff is legendary. There must be an angle I'm not seeing, or maybe Mile High's overgrading isn't as legendary as it may seem on these boards.

I still don't get why he used Rozanski for consignment, unless a big chunk of the collection is [!@#%^&^]. If it's mostly hard-to-find vintage high-dollar stuff, Rozanski is one of the worst national dealers I can think of to sell it; the overgrading of his staff is legendary. There must be an angle I'm not seeing, or maybe Mile High's overgrading isn't as legendary as it may seem on these boards.

Two things... the average comic collector has never even seen a CGC book in person. And for those collectors, Chuck's grading is fairly tight. It's certainly better than what you will get bidding on random books on eBay. And unlike eBay, you can be confident in your ability to return books you don't like.

Second, Bob said earlier in this thread that the collection was composed of great stuff, good stuff, and line the boxes with it stuff. If you weren't in a hurry to sell, and didn't need money right away, wouldn't you want the "line the boxes with it stuff" to go first? Wouldn't you want your worst stuff to be the first things sold? Two years into the sale, wouldn't you prefer your best stuff was still there and your worst stuff was long gone?

Everybody here is in agreement that Chuck gets more money for crappy books that anybody in the business. Isn't that the perfect guy to sell your books on consignment? If Chuck bought this collection outright, he would pay 2c a book on that stuff. But, because it's a consignment deal, Mr Stephens sees real value for his junk. And any great stuff that DOES sell at Chuck's exorbitant prices will fetch Mr Stephens a pretty penny. It's a win-win for him.

And if Dallas Stephens decides three years into the deal that he wants his books back, guess what? All the garbage is long gone, and he still has his Rockfords and Salidas...

The more I think about this deal, the smarter I think Dallas Stephens was... if he truly doesn't need the money from the sale...

What 'house said.

Remember the pic of Chuck standing on the mountain of long-boxes filled with X-Factors and Richie Rich ? (unless ya really believe that was a ruse to throw the Apaches off during the midnight run through the desert).

but a lot of people think the entire Southeastern US is the "boonies," and I'm playing upon that misconception.

Like you said, you're PLAYING on that. Anybody that reads your posts knows that you aren't a bumpkin. You write too well, and make very intelligent, thought-out posts.

The newsletter, at least to me, did not read as "playing on a misconception".

You and House both have some valid points. You both may be correct (as I said earlier, I've been wrong about things before, and I'll be wrong again).

I'm just basing it on how I'm reading it.

Chris

Just because those boxes say X-Factor doesn't necessarily mean that they contain X-Factors.

I've purchased bulk collections before and as I've integrated them into my collection, I've often run out of pristine new boxes and had to re-use old ones. I have my own labeling system so I just ignore the writing on the boxes.

It also seems like a waste to toss out old comic boxes... I don't usually put my best stuff in there though. (I tend not to buy long boxes any more since they're extremely heavy when weighted down with books in bags and boards... so I reuse the couple of dozen I have as temporary holders.)

Mr. Stephens had 400,000+ books. He must have assimilated quite a few collections to get that amount.