• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for advice on restoration issue

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a book that has minor professional restoration on it. According to what I was told when I purchased it, and have been able to verify myself, the staple was replaced, and a few small tears on the cover were repaired, which required some color touch-up. As it is now, the comic is an apparant solid VF/NM -- a really nice book. I'm not a huge fan of restoration work, but this book is rare enough that I didn't mind. I assume it would receive a "minor professional" grade from CGC if I were to slab it now.

It seems like from what I've read, the prevailing thought is that restoration has a large negative impact on the value, even if it was a professional job. I am really debating on whether or not I should have the restoration work removed....

If I had the restoration successfully removed, what sort of label would CGC give it -- Universal? Restored? Qualified? I've read that a replaced staple automatically receives a qualified label? Does a qualified label have a big impact on the books value?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

Don't know how you're going to deal with "staple replacement" in terms of restoration removal.

Enjoy the book you have, leave it alone, and all will be right in the universe.

I'm not a huge fan of restoration work, but this book is rare enough that I didn't mind. I assume it would receive a "minor professional" grade from CGC if I were to slab it now.

If you don't mind the resto, why do it?

If the book is rare and only has slight resto work, when it comes time to sell there will still be good demand for the book and price shouldn't take a huge hit.

Plus, the replaced staple would still get a green label, so chances are the book will never be blue label anyway.

I'd let it be.

hi.gif