• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Filing Cabinets and Floor Joists

23 posts in this topic

Well, I have 2 filing cabinets now. This winter, I will cull out issues I don't want and list them on E-Bay.

Question, I am moving them from the basement to my, I can't believe I am saying this, MY OWN COMIC/COMPUTER ROOM!!!!. Yes, I am 38 with 2 kids, but we have managed to free up an entire room to me.

Okay, now the question, should I worry about floor sag or problems with the joists? There is basement below, it is a hardwood floor. Any ideas? And, inside wall as opposed to outside wall? Closet? headbang.gif

Well, I have 2 filing cabinets now. This winter, I will cull out issues I don't want and list them on E-Bay.

Question, I am moving them from the basement to my, I can't believe I am saying this, MY OWN COMIC/COMPUTER ROOM!!!!. Yes, I am 38 with 2 kids, but we have managed to free up an entire room to me.

Okay, now the question, should I worry about floor sag or problems with the joists? There is basement below, it is a hardwood floor. Any ideas? And, inside wall as opposed to outside wall? Closet? headbang.gif

Im lucky that I get to use my basement closet as my comic storage place. I do have a de-humidifier that I keep at 45-55% relative humidity.

I would think that an inside wall or the closet might be the best for storage.

Arex

Yes, I will most likely use a closet to save on floor space. I am so happy to get them out of the basement. I worry too much about them picking up smells as they are near the sump pump. Overall, a good move.

Inside wall vs. outside is insignificant compared to the perils they face now. Inside or closet I will choose.

Now, what about the joists?

How many boxes we talking about here. Most joists can handle a large amount of weight without sagging ( for example I had a 125 gallon fish tank on my second floor for years with no problems. Thats well over 1,000 pounds in a concentrated area. Each long box is around 40 pounds maybe so figure I could put around 30 boxes in the same area.

How big are the joists? how far apart are they?

I live in an 80 year old house. As a result large joists were used close together. I have a similar Computer/Comic Room. There are 2 1000lb safes, an arcade machine, filing cabinets, etc. Most of the heavy stuff is towards a wall but there is no joist sag to show for 15 years of heavy furniture.

It all depends on your joists I would guess.

How many boxes we talking about here. Most joists can handle a large amount of weight without sagging ( for example I had a 125 gallon fish tank on my second floor for years with no problems. Thats well over 1,000 pounds in a concentrated area. Each long box is around 40 pounds maybe so figure I could put around 30 boxes in the same area.

Residential Floors are typically designed for 40 psf (pounds per square foot) (Live Load) plus the dead load (Self Weight conservatively 15 pounds per square foot.

Joists are typically spaced at 16 inches on center with the maximum usually found at 24 inches on center in residential construction.

The key questions are:

What are the joist sizes, span, spacing and direction of span. You can load portions of the floor joists over the 40 psf and it will still work by code. You are better off distributing the load over numerous joists rather than loading one joist line.

With all this said, I've loaded up residential floors my wood racks in the past with no bad results from the point loads. See the racks on the left side of the photo.

If you send me a sketch of the floor, and the joist size and layout, I'll calculate out the capacities for you.....and really engineer up this puppy. flowerred.gif

The old adage....when in doubt, build it stout. yay.gif1359491-Picture096.jpg

1359491-Picture096.jpg.09dab34422b46dbb1739b68880af3831.jpg

You could just place a sheet of Plywood(The thick stuff) on the floor and I believe that should take care of most weight issues. Unless your joists are spaced 48 inches apart. Which I doubt.(Who the heck would built a floor that way?).

Joists are typically spaced at 16 inches on center with the maximum usually found at 24 inches on center in residential construction.

If you send me a sketch of the floor, and the joist size and layout, I'll calculate out the capacities for you.....and really engineer up this puppy.

Damn structural engineers. sumo.gif

I have 2 filing cabinets. 2000 books each approx. That is 14 longs or so. 50# max. a long, that makes 700 pounds. The joists are 16" on center, I have a 60 yo house.

I think most everyone's floors and joists are much stronger than we think . . . and can easily hold filing cabinets. Huge fishtanks and waterbeds are much heavier.

For your question about 700 pounds distributed over approx. 6 sq. ft., visualize the following: 3 grown men (weighing 230+ lbs each) huddled in the same space. No problem, right? Now picture them jumping up and down in unison. Still no problem, right? It would likely take much more than these 3 guys jumping around the room to buckle your floor.

I don't think you have anything to worry about cool.gif

how about a 100 year old house?

you guys are scaring me about my potential dream comic room!

honestly, i doubt it would be a problem unless the floor is already sagging.

scattered about north america there are comic bomb shelters like this. you should be able to live in one of those with a 10 year supply of water and corned beef hash in the event of nuclear war.

scattered about north america there are comic bomb shelters like this. you should be able to live in one of those with a 10 year supply of water and corned beef hash in the event of nuclear war.

I gave up the comic room to my daughter when she was born, so as a dedicated structural engineer, I took it upon myself to make more space. Now all I need to do is intall the dumbwaiter. insane.gif

If you send me a sketch of the floor, and the joist size and layout, I'll calculate out the capacities for you.....and really engineer up this puppy.

Damn structural engineers. sumo.gif

Not that there's anything wrong with that..... confused-smiley-013.gif