• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another piece of the past lost

53 posts in this topic

I used to love tom and jerry..

You still do. No shame in it! makepoint.gif

I hated Jerry, and was ecstatic when Tom beat him in a few cartoons. Felt the same way about Sylvester and that pain in the behind Tweety Bird. tongue.gif

Same with the Roadrunner and Coyote. There was one toon where Wiley got him (if only briefly) and I loved it! cloud9.gif

BTW: So stupid to edit these classic art forms! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Absolutely, the most frustrating cartoon for me was Wacky Races. That damn Muttley cost Dastardly practically every single race. It's not that I wanted evil to succeed all the time, but the good characters were just so boring and uninteresting. For instance, all road runner did was "beep beep", and run around.

its maddening! Stop censoring this stuff! What do people think, if we cut it out of art, the ills leave society too! ARRRGGGHH!H!!!!

Tom & Jerry was my favorite cartoon growing up. I do not smoke, I do not hit people with frying pans and I am not racist.

I do have a 6 volume DVD set of unedited tom & Jerry cartoons that came from Thailand about 5 years ago, so my "Verboten Contraband" collection is strong...

Agree, Ellens favorite comic book right now is actually Tom And Jerry. And she too loves the "old style" cartoon, but doenst want to watch the newer stuff. Laughs her butt off as Tom "gets his" from that mouse.

Although I dont let her watch the newest version called "Itchy And Scratchy"...yet.

Whats next?

Mr. Jinx gonna say " I have a minor dislike for meeces to pieces!!"

pod.jpg

Ze-

ya know it is kind of weird but I believe that this is one the reasons why

The Chappelle Show had such success...

His no holds barred syle of humor was a breath of fresh raunch air that

had more pokes toward every political taboo known since classic Archie Bunker episodes.

To me been an Ultra Conservative that fights for the cancelation and erasure

of material is just as bad and ignorant as the Anti- ____________ (you fill in the blank)

marchers on our streets today.

(man I sure miss the Chappelle Show.)

cloud9.gif

I'm confused here, are they just editing for TV (which is done every minute of every day), or deleting these scenes from DVD collections and other more adult-based media, basically trying to change history?

If it's the former, what's the big deal?

If it's the latter, I'll go find my pitch fork.

its maddening! Stop censoring this stuff! What do people think, if we cut it out of art, the ills leave society too! ARRRGGGHH!H!!!!

Tom & Jerry was my favorite cartoon growing up. I do not smoke, I do not hit people with frying pans and I am not racist.

I do have a 6 volume DVD set of unedited tom & Jerry cartoons that came from Thailand about 5 years ago, so my "Verboten Contraband" collection is strong...

Agree, Ellens favorite comic book right now is actually Tom And Jerry. And she too loves the "old style" cartoon, but doenst want to watch the newer stuff. Laughs her butt off as Tom "gets his" from that mouse.

Although I dont let her watch the newest version called "Itchy And Scratchy"...yet.

Whats next?

Mr. Jinx gonna say " I have a minor dislike for meeces to pieces!!"

pod.jpg

Ze-

No, all 3 will be sent to counseling for anger management! poke2.gif

Well, if stuff like Bad Santa keeps getting released I don't think we have to worry about the movies...

You're totally missing the point. Childish raunch and infantile bathroom gag movies are on the rise (see 40-year old Virgin and Wedding Crashers), but actual non-PC humor is virtually forbidden.

There is no way that Blazing Saddles would EVER be released now.

Over 10 years ago the chopped up Bugs Bunny cartoons and took out the major violence. Which sucked because you would remember the cartoon as a kid and now all you get are the censored versions. Except at the Drive-In, the still have the original cartoon films!

I'm confused here, are they just editing for TV (which is done every minute of every day), or deleting these scenes from DVD collections and other more adult-based media, basically trying to change history?

If it's the former, what's the big deal?

If it's the latter, I'll go find my pitch fork.

Latter. They will be editing all of the going forward releases. Same reason you can't find anywhere, for example, "Coal Black" or any of the really over the top World War II Bugs Bunny episodes ("Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips", for example).

This sort of censorship has gone on for years - especially on some of the very early cartoons. The earliest Tom and Jerry cartoons, where Tom was called "Jasper" used to show a heavy black woman, obviously the maid. Images of her have been excised from the cartoons that are shown now. My kids, who watch the subversive DVDs at my house, noticed it when they started watching T&J on Cartoon Network.

Latter. They will be editing all of the going forward releases. Same reason you can't find anywhere, for example, "Coal Black" or any of the really over the top World War II Bugs Bunny episodes ("Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips", for example).

But that's not editing, but a decision by Disney to never release those cartoons again. I have all the Disney Treasures, and those are unedited.. to the point where I was surprised at some of the stuff in them. 893whatthe.gif

I have yet to read anywhere that all future Tom & Jerry DVD releases will have the smoking parts deleted, only that Turner's TV stations will edit them.

Does anyone here own any of the Looney Toons DVDs? I was wondering if all the episodes unedited including those that don't get shown on TV anymore are on there. There is that one where Gossamer? (the big orange fuzzy guy) and some scientist are trying to get Bugs and they take ether or some such and started to move lethargically. I remember even as a kid missing that one because they stopped showing it maybe around 80 or 81. Bummer

But that's not editing, but a decision by Disney to never release those cartoons again. I have all the Disney Treasures, and those are unedited.. to the point where I was surprised at some of the stuff in them. 893whatthe.gif

I have yet to read anywhere that all future Tom & Jerry DVD releases will have the smoking parts deleted, only that Turner's TV stations will edit them.

Subsequent releases will have the "offensive" portions deleted. I guess I wasn't clear.

Does anyone here own any of the Looney Toons DVDs? I was wondering if all the episodes unedited including those that don't get shown on TV anymore are on there. There is that one where Gossamer? (the big orange fuzzy guy) and some scientist are trying to get Bugs and they take ether or some such and started to move lethargically. I remember even as a kid missing that one because they stopped showing it maybe around 80 or 81. Bummer

Nighty - Night...ZZZzzzzzzz*

1362363-Mad_Scientist.gif

1362363-Mad_Scientist.gif.48411697b1f4fa7065a9eb719afcbc12.gif

One thing we have to be careful of as a society is to shield our kids from everything that's remotely perceived as negative. You can't have a grown person go out into the real world unless they're at least made aware that these things do exist. Watching some violent cartoons and certain horror movies as a 10, 11 year old at least toughened me up a bit to outside forces. If I had been watching shows like Barney and Tela Tubbies all my life, I'd probably be scared to death when approached by a school bully, or yelled at by someone.

Another thing that I hated as a kid was all the arguments (nothing violent) that went on within our household. But you know what, I learned a lot from those arguments. I learned how to act as a mediator between my brother and dad, and have broken up a lot of disputes over the years between friends, co-workers, etc. On the other hand, if everything was lovey-dovey all the time, how the heck would I react if a boss, co-worker, etc. started shouting at me. I'd probably cower from the confrontation because I've never had any exposure to it. If the world out there was fair and loving I wouldn't be making this statement right now. However, since it's a jungle out there, you do need to be exposed to some of these issues (under parental guidance of course). Just my opinion.

Nighty - Night...ZZZzzzzzzz*

1362363-Mad_Scientist.gif

I love that guy! My memory is so faded that I actually pictured I guy that looks like the doctor from Futurama instead. Thanks.