• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hickory NC ComicCon

57 posts in this topic

Well, seems the NC East crowd didn't show, and chrisco thought the show was Sunday, which is understandable. The show looked good for box divers, as 2-3 guys had off-grade SA/BA fairly cheap. I bought a handful of low grade GA off of Chris Foss and Ron Walker. Ron is a nice guy. Ex-bricklayer who had to change careers (now a collectibles huckster) because of a bad back. He has a lot of mid to low grade books of all genres, plus old games and some toys, models, etc.

Nothing HG I could find at the show, but then again I wasn't really looking at the SA and newer, plus I can't see anything with my diminishing eyesight and crappy lighting.

Lot of gamers sitting down at tables playing something, several others dressed in full Stars Wars garments.

Foss sold a coverless complete Supes #6 with some foxing to some guy for something between $40-60, I might have bought it had the guy passed. Foss also had several Batman in VG-Fine+ from #4-12 he had recently picked up. He claims he can sell these books and similar books just as easily slabbed as unslabbed, but I don't see how. Maybe they have already reached their "full potential" (?)

Foss also had couple of key GA Horror books like Manhunt #14 that were just too FUBAR to pay a G to VG price for.

Dave Shankle (?) had a Power #4 CGC 7.0 Nic Cage I was somewhat interested in, but the sticker price was too high to even start to haggle. Overall he has some decent books but not a lot HG, and the mid grade stuff is (initially) priced full graded book which I can understand. What I can't understand is most of the other dealers with large amounts G -VG GA non keys priced VG-F or higher, who keep on lugging them back every show. I guess they'll be happy if they're buried with these books.

Overall looked like a good show for dealers and buyers. most looked happy.

Well, any reports from the Hickory show?

I get to coach in a football game where we get our doors blown off and a bunch of the kids lie down on us.

popcorn.gif

The show was SLOW. The crowd seemed down from the previous two and most of the people there seemed to be gamers. Lots of BA,SA and GA collectors I usually see at that show or Ray Mozingo's shows in Hickory - I didn't see. It's been a strange year. I'm on track to have a record year sales wise, but the shows have tended to be hit or miss. This one was a miss. My biggest sale was a couple of Fawcett's to a GA collector. First time I had ever seen this guy?? Maybe he will be back at future shows. Fortunately it was a good buying show. I bought Steve Martin's (Funny Pages in Mt Airy) inventory that Ronny Brady had brought down to sell. Lots of DCs, Charltons, and Gold Keys. Some in really nice grade. Plus I picked up some SA and TV books from Ronny. Got two nice copies of My Favorite Martian #1 plus a low grade TOS #49.

Three people that set up for the first time did have a good show. Mark Bowers and Paul Zaremba looked to be selling a lot of stuff. And Ron Walker was doing very well. Both will be set up at my show - the Charlotte Comicon on November 12th. Ron had a lot of great SA runs. He did have lots of high grade books, but you had to search. It's possible he had already been cherry picked by the time some people got to him. I know Chris Foss had stuck back a big pile of books back behind his table. Probably a small comic box worth of stuff. He also sold a nice 1950's Superman Speed Game to Chris before the show started.

I also found out that Time Tunnel (the promoter of the show) was having a half-price sale at the store the day of the show. Eddie said they had also done this at the previous two shows?!? Just doesn't seem right to me to half a sale at your store while you're selling tables to dealers at a show.

Oh well - enought ranting - hope the board members that came had a good time and found some nice books. Hope to see you guys at our show on November 12th.

Hey Rick,

What's the scoop on this greenville show on 10/28? Is that yours or a different promoter?

It's Rob Youngs show - he was running shows there in the 90's. He had big crowds. Hope he will this time. Dave Cockrum is going to be a guest. Should be really good.

Here is a link

http://greenvillecomiccon.com/

Hey Rick,

What's the scoop on this greenville show on 10/28? Is that yours or a different promoter?

It's Rob Youngs show - he was running shows there in the 90's. He had big crowds. Hope he will this time. Dave Cockrum is going to be a guest. Should be really good.

Here is a link

Could you email me a phone # for Rob? I'm not getting a response back via email.

Rick where were you located at ? I was at the show wanted to say hi, but got to looking around, do you know about the show this Sat. in Charlotte?

I was on the right wall - second dealer from the entrance - between David Shankle (right to the right of the entrance) and David Burns

Yes - the show this weekend is the Metrolina Toy/Card/Comic/Nascar and hobby/collectible show - you will find a little of everything

I also sell sports cards and toys

I'll be there

Hey Rick,

Here is a link

Could you email me a phone # for Rob? I'm not getting a response back via email.

Hey Jeff

email sent

Hey Rick,

Here is a link

Hey Jeff

email sent

Thanks thumbsup2.gif Will you guys keep doing shows in Greenville too?

Hey Rick,

Here is a link

Hey Jeff

email sent

Thanks thumbsup2.gif Will you guys keep doing shows in Greenville too?

Yes - we're planning on it

maybe not as many