• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,468 posts in this topic

I am down to only needing  25, 29, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 46, 47, 75 and 132 to have from 25-400. This is a stretch I would like to lock down over the next year or so. I have a smattering of issues pre #25 but recognize that goal gets forever harder as time passes. 

Edited by comicginger1789

On 4/18/2022 at 3:58 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I am down to only needing  25, 29, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 46, 47, 75 and 132 to have from 25-400. This is a stretch I would like to lock down over the next year or so. I have a smattering of issues pre #25 but recognize that goal gets forever harder as time passes. 

What grades?  Raw or slabbed?

On 4/18/2022 at 5:59 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

What grades?  Raw or slabbed?

For what I’m missing? Im looking for raw and lower grade 2.0-4.0. Except for 75 and 132, I’d like to get a little higher for those.

As for the books I own haha they range from low to high. Some graded, some not, all loved 🥰 

On 4/19/2022 at 2:11 AM, comicginger1789 said:

For what I’m missing? Im looking for raw and lower grade 2.0-4.0. Except for 75 and 132, I’d like to get a little higher for those.

As for the books I own haha they range from low to high. Some graded, some not, all loved 🥰 

You’ve done the hard part and own the most expensive books in your mission so best of luck in completing. The end is in sight ! 

On 4/18/2022 at 2:30 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Ok, another that I bought right after the #2. This book is dated the same month as it's Marvel counterpart. Perhaps even a month or two prior, La Prensa was publishing along side Marvel and keeping pace. In fact, either with or after issue #8, La Prensa went bi-weekly, which facilitated them needing to print stories from other Marvel titles (mostly Ant-Man from TTA or Avengers stories) to fill in the gaps. Spider-Man was THAT popular in Mexico! There are a pair of other copies of this on the census, an 8.0 and a 3.5. The bright yellow masthead adds a unique contrast to the Marvel version of the Lizard's first appearance. 

Amazing Spider-Man 6 6.5 ow-w front Mexican Edition.jpg

Real nice man! Interesting they didn't use "La lagartija" in place of "lagarto"? My family is primarily Spanish speaking and lagarto is never used. It actually could mean alligator.

Edited by MGsimba77

On 4/19/2022 at 4:45 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Real nice man! Interesting they didn't use "La lagartija" in place of "lagarto"? My family is primarily Spanish speaking and lagarto is never used. It actually could mean alligator.

Thanks so much! I was hoping someone else would dig these too! Interesting! I'm as rusty as 50 year old playground equipment when it comes to Spanish, so I didn't know that. I have a question for you, if you don't mind: As a primarily Spanish speaking person, do these Mexican publications appeal to you in any way as a collectible? 

On 4/19/2022 at 6:53 PM, Frisco Larson said:

As a primarily Spanish speaking person, do these Mexican publications appeal to you in any way as a collectible? 

Well English is my primary since I'm raised in the US, though the older family members are mainly Spanish speaking. I find them interesting but probably not enough to seek them out for collecting. I do have a friend who's from Argentina and fluent in Spanish. He's reeely reeely into La Prensa copies of anything Spidey! Infact I didn't even know Gwen married Peter Parker in the Mexican version until he told me. I suppose if I'd been raised in that area like he was/had more exposure to them I'd be collecting them.

On 4/19/2022 at 6:31 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Well English is my primary since I'm raised in the US, though the older family members are mainly Spanish speaking. I find them interesting but probably not enough to seek them out for collecting. I do have a friend who's from Argentina and fluent in Spanish. He's reeely reeely into La Prensa copies of anything Spidey! Infact I didn't even know Gwen married Peter Parker in the Mexican version until he told me. I suppose if I'd been raised in that area like he was/had more exposure to them I'd be collecting them.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. Well I'm glad you like them enough to give some props, so thank you for that! (thumbsu I just dig them SO much! It's just another dimension to collecting Silver Age Spider-Man comics for me! It was really easy to put the Marvel Amazing Spider-Man run together, but the La Prensa copies are MUCH tougher to find, especially in nice shape. Thanks again for the props!

On 4/20/2022 at 7:28 AM, chrisco37 said:

I dig them too.  I actually think I like the colors on the 6 better than the "regular" copy.    

Thanks Chris! One of the things I really like are the differences between the Marvel and La Prensa copies! There are some great house in the Mexican publications that aren't in the Marvel books.

On 4/22/2022 at 12:56 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I've been tasked to sell some more Spider-Man books for a friend, and this books caught my eye.

Does anyone else have a book signed by Spider-Man himself? That's right, this is even better than a Stan Lee sig (especially since he also drew a spider...original spider-man-spider-spider art sketch!)

20220421_220027.thumb.jpg.f7b5f0a3f060b9dd82fdba4cf6de255e.jpg

That signature makes the book - literally - priceless.

On 5/8/2022 at 5:35 PM, Peter Loves Gwen said:

I like those, and I hope I helped a little in filling the holes. Hi guys, I've been busy with many things for a lot of years, I began to sell some of my collection ages ago. I haven't made time to do much else with it. I try not to look at pricing these days, many that I sold are going for 5-10 times what I sold them for. The ASM 101 9.6 rings a bell, I hunted for that one for ages, and after three nice copies, that's when I began selling. I'm only going to keep three, my current plan, the AF15, ASM 50, and Annual 1. It's a shame to see an AF15 5.5 go for ten times what I paid for my restored copy. That's the business now, some collect and others buy to sell.

Here's that last book I bought a few years ago, I couldn't resist it. ASM 50 is one of my favorites, this one was perfectly centered, and I had sold three other 9.4's because the cut and fold didn't thrill me. But this SS one had both Stan Lee and John Romita on it.

ASM 50 9.4 White.jpg

ASM 50 is my favourite comic book so it would also be one of the very last I would ever let go. 

I’m sure that my GRR looked familiar to you.:)