• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,437 posts in this topic

Hey all, just looking for a little advice today. I have the opportunity to buy two books, but only have money for one of them. They are both around the same price. One is ASM #17 5.5 ow/w the second appearance of Green Goblin, and the other is ASM #101 7.0 ow/w the first appearance of Morbius. I'm wanting opinions on which one you would buy if you had the chance. I know this is an SA forum so there might be some bias present. But I'm really needing some advice on this one to help me along in making my decision. I'm torn. Any suggestions, pros and cons etc. would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

On 7/10/2022 at 2:21 PM, AwesomeSauce said:

Hey all, just looking for a little advice today. I have the opportunity to buy two books, but only have money for one of them. They are both around the same price. One is ASM #17 5.5 ow/w the second appearance of Green Goblin, and the other is ASM #101 7.0 ow/w the first appearance of Morbius. I'm wanting opinions on which one you would buy if you had the chance. I know this is an SA forum so there might be some bias present. But I'm really needing some advice on this one to help me along in making my decision. I'm torn. Any suggestions, pros and cons etc. would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

without question most of us will tell you to go for the 17. its a classic, its the first really great goblin cover, and he's the all-time best nemesis spidey ever had. and ditko spideys are always in demand, so from an investment point of view, it's an easy call. 

On 7/10/2022 at 10:17 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

My early Spidey's may not be high grade, but they were all $15 or less when i bought them...:ohnoez: #14 was a lot more than that, so I never bought it...:sorry:

I wish my early books looked even half as good as yours, and I paid an awful lot more than $15 dollars per. lol

On 7/10/2022 at 4:21 PM, AwesomeSauce said:

Another vote for 17 here.

Here is a tragedy for you. These along with a half a dozen early FF 4s were given to me for free by an antique dealer friend. He was going to throw them away then thought of me. I basically consider them coverless. They are complete and readable with nice paper. I was stoked to get them.

Kids were evil in those days…:devil:

D9CF66EF-06EC-489F-BCBA-024592E8628C.jpeg

4F2AE3E0-BB91-4112-A11A-EF4636572409.jpeg

FCCE8E59-BCA4-4BD6-A42A-3C6CE709CE7C.jpeg

B15F1F14-D02B-432A-909A-6C2F10501E03.jpeg

On 7/10/2022 at 2:21 PM, AwesomeSauce said:

Also throwing in my vote for ASM #17...

On 7/10/2022 at 5:21 PM, AwesomeSauce said:

I've had both.  I still have my 17.  

Only thing that would lean me the other way would be if the 17 was faded a bit.   

Any time you have a chance to get a Ditko issue, you get it.  

On 7/11/2022 at 9:39 AM, Webhead2018 said:

What happened to those. Might as well get them professional restored to fix covers.

Why? Did I say they were FREE? Since I no longer have nice copies, I would have been happy to pay 0.5 poor coverless prices to just have them to read and refer to. 

Sometimes, in our grade/investment driven thoughts we forget that these were just 12 cent comics just ment to be enjoyed…