• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,521 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2022 at 3:35 PM, Peter Loves Gwen said:

I like those, and I hope I helped a little in filling the holes. Hi guys, I've been busy with many things for a lot of years, I began to sell some of my collection ages ago. I haven't made time to do much else with it. I try not to look at pricing these days, many that I sold are going for 5-10 times what I sold them for. The ASM 101 9.6 rings a bell, I hunted for that one for ages, and after three nice copies, that's when I began selling. I'm only going to keep three, my current plan, the AF15, ASM 50, and Annual 1. It's a shame to see an AF15 5.5 go for ten times what I paid for my restored copy. That's the business now, some collect and others buy to sell.

Here's that last book I bought a few years ago, I couldn't resist it. ASM 50 is one of my favorites, this one was perfectly centered, and I had sold three other 9.4's because the cut and fold didn't thrill me. But this SS one had both Stan Lee and John Romita on it.

ASM 50 9.4 White.jpg

Hey Don...long time.  Wonder what's been going on with you...hope all is well.  Not on here much anymore as well as my comic collecting has largely come to a halt.  Sweet book...KEEPER for sure!  Will probably spring for an AF15 one of these days but otherwise my collecting DNA has gone to different interests.  Last I remember you ended up with my play forward Marvel Masterworks HULK 1-6 book lol...

Hi Tom, yes my path has been different too. My father died three years back and he left an interesting mess. I've learned a lot too, not really things you want to but, it happens.

I do have your Marvel Masterworks HULK 1-6 book somewhere in my office/PC room. I read most of it and it was very good, I've many times planned to put it in my to do stuff and pass it along.

I thought you had been very close to getting a restored AF15, when I sold you my 9.0 #3 etc, or #4 was it? I've planned to keep mine for a lot longer, even though I see it still gets the stink eye for being trimmed.

AF 15 raw inside cover 9.0 CT&trimmed.JPG

On 5/16/2022 at 6:09 PM, Peter Loves Gwen said:

Hi Tom, yes my path has been different too. My father died three years back and he left an interesting mess. I've learned a lot too, not really things you want to but, it happens.

I do have your Marvel Masterworks HULK 1-6 book somewhere in my office/PC room. I read most of it and it was very good, I've many times planned to put it in my to do stuff and pass it along.

I thought you had been very close to getting a restored AF15, when I sold you my 9.0 #3 etc, or #4 was it? I've planned to keep mine for a lot longer, even though I see it still gets the stink eye for being trimmed.

AF 15 raw inside cover 9.0 CT&trimmed.JPG

Was close a time or two on the AF15 and didn't pull the trigger...such is life.  On a related note my ASM 1 9.0 is a trim job and I'm sure looked upon with disdain by many...which is fine and to each her/his own.  But they are real copies and most importantly, they are ours.  The ASM cover colors are so bright to me it negates a lot of that but it is what it is.  My friend Brian (foommember here) has a 9.0 AF15 beauty he picked up from Gator years ago.  Envy is not an emotion that sits well with me and doesn't really motivate me.  So if it ends up in the box so be it but if not will not lose any sleep all the while contemplating should I just sell 'em all soon and give the money to the kids' trust.  But I do enjoy going through the box from time to time.  I'll PM you when I get a few more minutes to catch up.  As I said...and condolences on your dad's passing...otherwise hope all is well with you and family. :headbang:

On 5/17/2022 at 4:31 PM, trmoore54 said:

Was close a time or two on the AF15 and didn't pull the trigger...such is life.  On a related note my ASM 1 9.0 is a trim job and I'm sure looked upon with disdain by many...which is fine and to each her/his own.  But they are real copies and most importantly, they are ours.  The ASM cover colors are so bright to me it negates a lot of that but it is what it is.  My friend Brian (foommember here) has a 9.0 AF15 beauty he picked up from Gator years ago.  Envy is not an emotion that sits well with me and doesn't really motivate me.  So if it ends up in the box so be it but if not will not lose any sleep all the while contemplating should I just sell 'em all soon and give the money to the kids' trust.  But I do enjoy going through the box from time to time.  I'll PM you when I get a few more minutes to catch up.  As I said...and condolences on your dad's passing...otherwise hope all is well with you and family. :headbang:

And it was the #4 WP

On 5/17/2022 at 7:31 PM, trmoore54 said:

And it was the #4 WP

That's right, I had someone else wanting the #3 a lot when I began letting some go.

I did buy a couple of lower grade books in one auction, the prices seemed low in that one auction. I got an 8.0 #4, 7.0 #11, and a #21 I think, an 8.0 #36, and an odd Dr. Strange, 9.0 of the earlier run.

I ran across a box that I had put some books in that I wanted to start grading, many were my original raw issues, 2,4,5, two 6's, mostly grades in the 4-6 range. My original #8, 13, and 15 I recall were my best raw copies, they fit my collection. I loved reading all of the old issues, that was real collecting, for the fun of the stories.

This might be my raw #2, I had another picture that I don't think was of mine.

ASM 002 front 6.0.jpg