• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,460 posts in this topic

I'm about 70-75% finished with my goal.

No you're not. lol

It'll never end. You'll eventually finish the core run, then you'll set your sights on an AF 15. Once you get that, you'd think it would be over with, but you're DEAD WRONG. You're either going to start hoarding, or you're going to start upgrading. You're probably thinking "oh no, not me.. that won't happen.. I just want a complete run", but just WAIT. You may take breaks and get into different titles for a little while, but ASM will always lure you back. It's a disease, and once it's in your bloodstream, it's for LIFE.

I should say congrats, though. Assembling an ASM run is not that easy in any grade, at least not for us non-BSD's. It has got to be the priciest run of books post-1962 and there's always competition at every grade level. I've been collecting ASM's since 2000(though I've only picked up a couple of pieces in the last 2 years) and the demand for these books always blows my mind. It's nearly impossible to get a bargain, whether it's VG, VF, or NM.

lol I'm sure I won't be hoarding- I'm a little focused on what I collect. I can see doing SOME upgrading down the road on a few of my ultra low-grades though. Of course, I do have a few other titles I want to get taken care of prior to "polishing" my collection.

I'll agree with you that ASM is a lot like a Subaru- very good resale value. :) However, if you're looking into the low-to-mid grades, you can still find some good deals out there... depending on what issues you're hunting for ;)

I didn't realize you were working on an ASM run as well. Very nice!

And TR- you know what PLOD REALLY stands for don't you? Purple Label Of Discount! Those are some great looking books, and I'm sure you were able to snatch them up at a fraction of the guide value on those grades. Good looking stuff there!

Edited by Mac Man

I'm about 70-75% finished with my goal.

No you're not. lol

It'll never end. You'll eventually finish the core run, then you'll set your sights on an AF 15. Once you get that, you'd think it would be over with, but you're DEAD WRONG. You're either going to start hoarding, or you're going to start upgrading. You're probably thinking "oh no, not me.. that won't happen.. I just want a complete run", but just WAIT. You may take breaks and get into different titles for a little while, but ASM will always lure you back. It's a disease, and once it's in your bloodstream, it's for LIFE.

I should say congrats, though. Assembling an ASM run is not that easy in any grade, at least not for us non-BSD's. It has got to be the priciest run of books post-1962 and there's always competition at every grade level. I've been collecting ASM's since 2000(though I've only picked up a couple of pieces in the last 2 years) and the demand for these books always blows my mind. It's nearly impossible to get a bargain, whether it's VG, VF, or NM.

doh! I wish I'd known all this before I started. Anyone got any of the following for sale in VGish 2-4, 7?

I completed a run of 1-350 in 2000(VG-VF), but I was 20 and needed cash to start up my business, so I sold them off about 2 months after I had assembled them. Came back in 2001 to find the CGC phenomenon rampant, and since I had already owned and read a complete run, I decided to start with higher grades and I focused on my favorite part of the run(39-136). I went nuts around 2003 and started getting some of the keys in uber grades(9.6), as well as getting really nice 9.0's and 9.2's. By late 2004 / early 2005 all those crazy 9.6's, and most of the 9.4's were gone. I've kept pretty much all of the 9.0/9.2 books but my collecting is mostly on hiatus now because I'm back in school, though I may still pick up 1 or 2 books a year. If the US dollar wasn't so weak right now, I wouldn't even consider buying anything at all until I finished school.

I've been all over the map with this title, and I probably won't ever stop. I'm hoping to eventually complete a set in 9.0+, but it won't happen for a long time. I don't want to make the same mistakes I did before, spending a ton of money, only to turn around and sell a few months later to free up the money for new purchases. I'm now looking at collecting as consumption, and whatever dollars I throw at my books will be considered gone.

"I'm now looking at collecting as consumption, and whatever dollars I throw at my books will be considered gone. "

Probably the BEST way to go about it. ;)

(thumbs u

Now someone please post some more scans.

lol I'm sure I won't be hoarding- I'm a little focused on what I collect. I can see doing SOME upgrading down the road on a few of my ultra low-grades though. Of course, I do have a few other titles I want to get taken care of prior to "polishing" my collection.

I'll agree with you that ASM is a lot like a Subaru- very good resale value. :) However, if you're looking into the low-to-mid grades, you can still find some good deals out there... depending on what issues you're hunting for ;)

And TR- you know what PLOD REALLY stands for don't you? Purple Label Of Discount! Those are some great looking books, and I'm sure you were able to snatch them up at a fraction of the guide value on those grades. Good looking stuff there!

That's exactly right...love that PLO Discount! Perfect! Yeah...I picked these up recently, the #11 on ebay for about $400 and the #28 on Heritage for about $300 (which included their exhorbitant fees...hadn't bought a book on Heritage for a long time but when I saw this one I said "THAT IS MINE!)...so, about $700 instead of $4K...

I've asked this question before in other threads and don't know that I've ever got an answer (although sometimes due to work I'm off the boards for several days...I kind of go in spurts...)...but how does CGC, or anyone for that matter, differentiate a color touch (especially when it's a singular dot type) from a dot that might just be a stain? Again, if someone were CT-ing, say a transverse tick on a spine and it were obvious...that's one thing, but I've always wondered about the dot vs stain (?)

Tom

but I've always wondered about the dot vs stain

This is just a guess, butI would think that the odds that a book would get a tiny stain(singular dot) from a substance that is the exact same color as the background of the area that it falls onto are pretty much slim to none. On top of that, different substances will absorb into the paper differently and chances are that some random substance hitting the surface of the comic will interact with the paper in ways that ink won't.

but I've always wondered about the dot vs stain

This is just a guess, butI would think that the odds that a book would get a tiny stain(singular dot) from a substance that is the exact same color as the background of the area that it falls onto are pretty much slim to none. On top of that, different substances will absorb into the paper differently and chances are that some random substance hitting the surface of the comic will interact with the paper in ways that ink won't.

That makes sense...that's probably it...I don't have the equipment so I've never spent any time checking out the characteristics other than the most obvious (and amateurish) CT...

Nice book, especially considering what a pain it is to find a copy with decent centering.

BTW, I thought you sold your run? Are you rebuilding?

Nice book, especially considering what a pain it is to find a copy with decent centering.

This is one of two books that still hasn't sold, both Annuals. BTW, sold the Silver, kept the Bronze - don't plan to part with the books I bought off the rack.

This is one of two books that still hasn't sold, both Annuals. BTW, sold the Silver, kept the Bronze - don't plan to part with the books I bought off the rack.

Do you have an Ann 1 for sale?