• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,461 posts in this topic

It's funny because I was attending a local show recently and collecting niches came up in the conversation. I'm proud to own my run of ASM but never really thought it was TERRIBLY impressive when compared to so many of the other collections on the board. I love my comics, but I see them as my little rag-tag band of funny books--my "Charlie Brown Christmas Tree" pedigree if you will. The average grade runs about G/VG with the overall quality improving as you move up in age and down as they get older. ANYHOW, I mentioned this to the other collectors/dealers there and you should have seen their jaws drop. One dealer even mentioned that if I ever wanted to sell, he'd be there right away. lol I think I could feel my books blushing from the many miles away. Anyhow, I guess sometimes it can be easy to lose track of how one's collection stacks up in the real world when compared to some of the absolutely mind-blowing ones on these boards that get showcased now and then.

It's true, with so many ridiculous collections being shown on these boards, it's easy to get a bit jaded sometimes. Great story, great perspective. :applause:

:hi:

Let me just say... I love Spider-Man. Yes, yes, yes... I KNOW some of you found out recently I've been getting into GA--and Jon ISN'T (or is ;) ) helping any--but my loyalties will always be to my favorite webslinger.

:cloud9:

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. :grin:

But yup! I have a complete run that includes Amazing Fantasy 15, Amazing Spider-Man 1-328, along with all other 'keys' that follow (1st Carnage, WTC cover, Spider-Man unmasking, & the Obama issue--though I only have the Romita newsstand cover). I have... most of the ASM annuals as well--though this part still needs some work. I do have the Ditko-tastic ASM Annual 1 though--a MUST buy if you haven't done so already.

It's funny because I was attending a local show recently and collecting niches came up in the conversation. I'm proud to own my run of ASM but never really thought it was TERRIBLY impressive when compared to so many of the other collections on the board. I love my comics, but I see them as my little rag-tag band of funny books--my "Charlie Brown Christmas Tree" pedigree if you will. The average grade runs about G/VG with the overall quality improving as you move up in age and down as they get older. ANYHOW, I mentioned this to the other collectors/dealers there and you should have seen their jaws drop. One dealer even mentioned that if I ever wanted to sell, he'd be there right away. lol I think I could feel my books blushing from the many miles away. Anyhow, I guess sometimes it can be easy to lose track of how one's collection stacks up in the real world when compared to some of the absolutely mind-blowing ones on these boards that get showcased now and then.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again--there is really nothing like owning Silver Age ASMs. Ditko and Romita are just tops! :sumo:

(worship)

I second that emotion! :headbang:

:hi: I've got ASM #1-64.

I like (& have) scattered issues after #64, but haven't pursued the run any further.

:thumbsup: And I appreciate the #50 I recently got from you. :banana:

What grade is your #1?

Oh, and kudos to you for starting this very thread over 3 1/2 years ago. :hail:

Thanks very much, Scott!

My ASM #1 is raw and clocks in around Good+ or so...

...and I can never resist mentioning ;) that I purchased it with the proceeds from selling & slabbing my OO ASM #300 9.8. :banana:

#1-129 is indeed a pretty sweet run...but you sold your AF #15 to save up for something better?! :sumo: The nerve.

:baiting:

yup, I also sold my X-men #1 8.5 at the same time...now I can go after what I really wanted and not have to worry about not having the cash to pay for it ;)

I had a complete run from 1 to current until recently. I now have 1 to 100 plus 121, 122, 129, 300. I sold the others to buy an AF15.

and yes...I've been keeping up with the post brand new day styorylines.

One of the faithful thrice-monthly readers, eh? :hail:

Maybe I should mimic what you did and sell off some of my set to get that dang elusive AF #15. :think:

I have to tell you, I don't miss the extra long boxes.

:hi: I've got ASM #1-64.

I like (& have) scattered issues after #64, but haven't pursued the run any further.

:thumbsup: And I appreciate the #50 I recently got from you. :banana:

What grade is your #1?

Oh, and kudos to you for starting this very thread over 3 1/2 years ago. :hail:

Thanks very much, Scott!

My ASM #1 is raw and clocks in around Good+ or so...

...and I can never resist mentioning ;) that I purchased it with the proceeds from selling & slabbing my OO ASM #300 9.8. :banana:

(worship)

It's true, with so many ridiculous collections being shown on these boards, it's easy to get a bit jaded sometimes. Great story, great perspective. :applause:

+1

Hye Piper,

Can you post a scan or link to the ASM #13 in your sig line?

Trying to check it out ,but photobucket wont let me :(

I'll try and do it later today.

:hi:

Let me just say... I love Spider-Man. Yes, yes, yes... I KNOW some of you found out recently I've been getting into GA--and Jon ISN'T (or is ;) ) helping any--but my loyalties will always be to my favorite webslinger.

:cloud9:

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. :grin:

But yup! I have a complete run that includes Amazing Fantasy 15, Amazing Spider-Man 1-328, along with all other 'keys' that follow (1st Carnage, WTC cover, Spider-Man unmasking, & the Obama issue--though I only have the Romita newsstand cover). I have... most of the ASM annuals as well--though this part still needs some work. I do have the Ditko-tastic ASM Annual 1 though--a MUST buy if you haven't done so already.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again--there is really nothing like owning Silver Age ASMs. Ditko and Romita are just tops! :sumo:

Mac Man! :hi:

One of my initial memories of joining these boards was realizing you were diligently working on your ASM run...and that you weren't exactly going after the NM copies. :lol:

I'm glad that you went on the record to declare your abiding love for our beloved wallcrawler (despite your recent affinity for the Golden Age).

As for those Spideys of yours post #328, what issue is the unmasking one? I honestly don't know (:blush:).

Who has a complete run of ASM on some level?

I've got #1 up to the latest newsstand issue all in VF or better. Amazing Fantasy 15 is the only one I'm missing.

:whatthe:

:hail:

I saw that #92 you picked up the other day. Unbelievable copy.

Got the #92 in from loboagain yesterday, packed securely and shipped fast, and an absolutely stunning copy with perfect QP and PQ of one of my favorite early Spidey covers! :cloud9:

Spidey92.jpg

Hye Piper,

(thumbs u

asm13-1.jpg[/img]

Hye Piper,

(thumbs u

asm13-1.jpg[/img]

Man, that's a nice white cover. And great signature placement too. :hail:

Hye Piper,

(thumbs u

asm13-1.jpg[/img]

Nice book :applause: One of my favorite Ditko covers

SOT is back, and will be selling my entire ASM BA books that I have to start over collecting.

Only SA now.

:applause: