• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,460 posts in this topic

Yeah, I've actually been looking for a nice 9.2 for a long while now, but when I came across this one I couldn't pass on it. :cloud9:

That's so coincidental...just traded my 9.2 OWW old label blue...perfect registration to PeterLovesGwen tonite...

It's funny how things go...last nite this book wasn't for sale, but I have been thinking for awhile to unload my 40s issues to fund or trade for the few issues below issue 20 I need...woke up early about 4am this morning (we're having a heat-wave here)...and decided to offer it to PLG...funny... :insane:

And I agree 9.4s are very tough to come by in this issue...CONGRATS again on your book! :headbang:

SPIDERMAN46CGC92OWW-1.jpg

Edited by trmoore54

Yeah, I've actually been looking for a nice 9.2 for a long while now, but when I came across this one I couldn't pass on it. :cloud9:

That's so coincidental...just traded my 9.2 OWW old label blue...perfect registration to PeterLovesGwen tonite...

It's funny how things go...last nite this book wasn't for sale, but I have been thinking for awhile to unload my 40s issues to fund or trade for the few issues below issue 20 I need...woke up early about 4am this morning (we're having a heat-wave here)...and decided to offer it to PLG...funny... :insane:

And I agree 9.4s are very tough to come by in this issue...CONGRATS again on your book! :headbang:

SPIDERMAN46CGC92OWW-1.jpg

Love that copy too. :cloud9:

Miss my old 9.0. Now I'm in the mood to buy another copy for myself.

I finally realized over the past year why I stopped collecting towards my Amazing Spider-man # 1-100 Registry set, and comics in general.

Basically every time I looked at most comic books in CGC 9.4-9.8 all I see is the comic being a COMMODITY, and all I saw is the cash that I could be using towards something else rather than the money being stuck in a CGC case in my closet, feel me. (shrug)

Hence why I sold all my HG ASM's like my 89, 121, 122, 102, 100 in 9.6.

I have come to look at books in VF to NM- as books I can be happy with for the rest of my collecting life. I can look at those grades and not feel the money staring back at me as to me having these conflicting notions of having the money instead of the book.

As the years keep going by you can see especially in this title (ASM) the gap of the HG prices for most of the common (post 65) issues are coming back down to earth to realistic pricing. I have noticed that 8.0 to 9.2 has relatively held their value with that range usually more affordable to the average collector hence being easily movable.

I make no bones that I do love buying a book and getting it graded to have it come back in 9-4-9.8, and resell it to make some extra cash flow, but again I am true comic book dork at heart. I want to actually have my ASM collection (1-100) together finally, and stop messing around with it. I don't need these books in uber HG to have a nice eye-appealing run that I am proud of.

Below is my outline of the issues and grades I want them in. It took honestly hours for me to say this okay, and not to deviate from it what so ever. I think my below outline even though it won't make the top 100 of best ASM Collections possible I can look at them as a fan/collector and NOT as a commodity where I am constantly conflicted about the money.

Good Eye Appeal, and nice Page Quality is more important to me now.

AF 15 CGC 3.0

ASM 1 CGC 4.0

ASM 2, 3 CGC 5.0

ASM 4-9 CGC 6.0

ASM 10-19 CGC 7.0

ASM 20-29 CGC 8.0

ASM 30-39 CGC 8.5

ASM 40-50 CGC 9.0

ASM 51-100 CGC 9.2

I am just got this book in the mail today which is one of my favorite covers from the run, and fits exactly into what I am looking for.

This book kicks off my ASM Registry. :whee:

001-1.jpg

Basically I looked the each next of level of a lot of these books to realistically determine does it make sense to spend the extra money to get the higher grade.

For example take my ASM 52 CGC 9.2 from above.

GPA on the book in 9.2 is about $400 ish, and then it jumps in CGC 9.4 to $1300 ish.

So my point if I had that book in 9.4 all I would see is the money I could have in my pocket from that big difference in pricing, hence why at 9.2 I see the issue as book I am content with staying in my collection rather than see it as comic book CGC commodity.

That is how SOT came up with a list that makes sense to me. :takeit:

In no way am I saying collecting uber HG books is dumb or a waste of time or whatever. If I had infinite funds of course I would only buy 9.6/9.8's, but I don't so this way of collecting makes sense to me without feeling the need to have the money rather than the book.

thanks for reading my opinion,

John (SOT)

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

I hear that, and I also look at the GPA price changes for each grade. I generally go for the step just below the big jump, which is a 9.2 for that ASM 52. I'd like the grades to be smooth along the way, but that isn't really important. I mix in the odd lower or higher grade based on the prices and rarity.

John, what do you plan to do with odd books with those odd prices? Take the #33, there are so many that anything below 9.4 is very reasonable. The #19 is similar(one grade higher is reasonable), the #45, 62, 64, etc, it's tough to settle for the same grade as others around them. Regards,

Nice post, John.

I just re-invented my collecting goals as well, as you know. My outline is a little different than yours, but the reasons are the same.

There are two things that I want my collection to have; grade uniformity and affordability. In other words, I want my entire collection (ASM run and beyond) to be within the same grade range, and I need to be able to afford the books I have. When I say "afford", I don't just mean that I can buy them, but also, as you say, to be able to keep the books without having that nagging feeling that my collection is tying up too much of my cash.

For me, that means I want the whole run in CGC 6.0-8.5, and set up like this:

ASM 1-20 CGC 7.5-8.5

21-100 in CGC 6.0-8.5

I feel as though the earlier books will hold value best, and it therefore makes sense to put more money into that portion of the run. That's why I'm going as low as 6.0 for the common issues; there's a limit to how much I want to put into this collection when it's finally finished, and I'd rather relocate the extra funds to the bigger books.

Yes, 6.0s and 6.5s are very low for mid/late silver, but those books are common in every grade up until 9.6, so I'm cheaping out and tying up as little cash as possible in them.

If I buy slowly, I'll eventually be able to finish the run without worrying about my "investment" in the books (with the exception of the first few issues, maybe).

I hear that, and I also look at the GPA price changes for each grade. I generally go for the step just below the big jump, which is a 9.2 for that ASM 52. I'd like the grades to be smooth along the way, but that isn't really important. I mix in the odd lower or higher grade based on the prices and rarity.

John, what do you plan to do with odd books with those odd prices? Take the #33, there are so many that anything below 9.4 is very reasonable. The #19 is similar(one grade higher is reasonable), the #45, 62, 64, etc, it's tough to settle for the same grade as others around them. Regards,

I tend to follow this thinking as well with my small collection of Spidey's. The main goal of my collection is not to eventually complete a whole or a consecutive issue run, but I am trying to limit my books to only early (or as early as I can afford) high grade cover appearances of my favorite Spidey villains. I have always been mesmerized by finding these old books in nice condition, as if they were recently on the rack. Many years ago, I decided the 9.2 range was a happy medium between that fresh new look I liked, and as you said, a grade below where typically the money gets crazy.

I recently found a couple key appearances that I have always wanted to have, and that are hard to find, and consider it spoiling myself to pay a bit of a premium for the 9.4 vs 9.2. Ultimately, trying to stay in that range, another facet of my collection is even in almost exclusively looking for 9.2s, I also try to get them with as near perfect centering and with clean, mark-free/stamp-free covers (just my personal twist). The money side doesn't really come into it for me, other than my budget/limit for what I want to spend at that time for that book.

The example of the #33 as a 9.4 would likely not be a big deal as you mentioned (there are plenty 9.2+), but I would rather get the 9.2 in that on the cheap, as long as its eye appeal fit in with my other books. In that case I just don't want to spend any extra money on a higher grade. If I look long/hard enough I know I will find a real nice, clean, sharp 9.2. And once I start getting a few extra books beyond my main theme, I'll be more than happy with my cheapy 9.2 #33. :)

Edited by SilvrSpidey

Funny thing. . . after writing that above, I happened to click on my Spidey collection just to take a peek again and noticed I don't actually have that many 9.2s anymore . . .more 9.4s and 9.6s. doh! I actually have been reshuffling my books lately and "just happen" to have liquidated some of my 9.2s to get other more expensive 9.2s or 9.4s. One exception I'll admit to though is with more modern books in my collection, like #200+, as cheap as they are . . for a bit more money, that super cheap 9.2 can be a cheap 9.4 or a fairly cheap 9.6 so I figured why not. I can see how I can sure get myself into trouble thinkin' like that though. :whistle:

That's what I was getting at. The price change between a 9.0-9.6 in many modern books is so close, get the one that has a good price for the grade, and looks right for the collection.

I would have been after a 9.4 of the #33, but a member(Jay) here came along with a 9.6 at as good price. My 9.6 #59 was the same way, Steve wanted a quick sale and I needed one. It's all part of the hunt.

I'm really happy about this book. IMO it presents much better than a 6.0 .

No chips, no writing, shiny clean staples, very bright, just a small stain mostly noticable on the BC.

This is the 3rd copy of this book I have owned in my lifetime.

- My first copy cost me 12 cents off the rack, yes I am old. I distinctly remember being excited when it came in. I folded it and put it in my back pocket and went immediately home to read it. When I was 17, I gave it to my nephew and my sister eventually threw it out.

- I got my 2nd copy about 2001 in CGC 7.0 off of E-Bay. I sold it a couple years ago and have been without until today.

Thanks for listening.

005.jpg

006.jpg