• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speaking of ASM 11...Grade this.

29 posts in this topic

if that illustration shows what I think you meant it to, just showing teh distance from the boxes to the trim isnt sufficient, It doesnt take into account the spine position relative to the artwork elements. The spines could be wrapped unevenly for each of these copies and they would then ALL be the exact same width.

Im still finding it hard to believe that the comics could have been trimmed up to 1/4" different from each other at manufacture though.....I know this was a sloppy cheap business,,,but thats too much tolerance for error.

if that illustration shows what I think you meant it to, just showing teh distance from the boxes to the trim isnt sufficient, It doesnt take into account the spine position relative to the artwork elements. The spines could be wrapped unevenly for each of these copies and they would then ALL be the exact same width.

Im still finding it hard to believe that the comics could have been trimmed up to 1/4" different from each other at manufacture though.....I know this was a sloppy cheap business,,,but thats too much tolerance for error.

HUH?

Not sure what you mean by this?

Are you referring to Rob's pic or mine?

The ASM 21 clearly has at least 1/4" difference at the comic code label compared to several other copies I have of the same issue. This was a factory "trim".

HUH?

Not sure what you mean by this?

Are you referring to Rob's pic or mine?

The ASM 21 clearly has at least 1/4" difference at the comic code label compared to several other copies I have of the same issue. This was a factory "trim".

I was replying to Robs image with the different comics scans mixed together. Maybe ny description wasnt too clear either...

As for your scan, I see that the top of the book is about a 1/4" less wide than the bottom as it is cut at an angle. Thats another common comic shape that I just cant understand. No one would trim it that way of course, but its so far off square!!

There was a thread on this message board, with a printer whose co-workers worked at Sparta, where he talked about how these books were put together. If you read that thread, you might have less misgivings about the low levels of QC on 60s Marvels.

Anyway, here's a quick and dirty example from my own boxes. The spines are lined up against the edge of the scanner bay. The smaller book is not, in my semi-professional opinion, a victim of an after-market haircut. The page edges match interior page color EXACTLY, the cut edges of the two books match up pretty well under magnification (implying that they were cut with the same type of tool) and the trademark =======> shape of the right edge is preserved. All of that matches up, but yet...

http://comics.drunkenfist.com/linked/shield4.jpg'>shield4Thumb.jpg" width="200" height="295" border="2

If I remember it when I get home, I'll try to post a scan of my Spidey 20 that is a full 7" wide with a ruler included in the scan showing that it is indeed 7". Even without the ruler, you can compare it to other Spidey 20s and see that there is a little more room on the right side next to the comics code symbol as well as a little bit of the back wrapping around than you see on the majority of copies of that issue.

Here's a full version of the Daredevil comparison. All the books were squared as well as I could. Then spine edges were then matched and I matched the highest point on the top edge to a line at a right angle to the spine edge. Sometimes that highest point was simply the top edge. Other times it was to the left or to the right, depending upon which angle the book was cut.

dd1sThumb.jpg" width="200" height="295" border="2