• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speaking of ASM 11...Grade this.

29 posts in this topic

After a lengthy discussion on this particular issue, this is one of many books heading to CGC pre San Diego .

Grading Feedback.....

Scans posted, OR are we linking them now? confused.gif

Let me know and I will edit it.

ASM11.jpg

ASM11B.jpg

Bigger?

Geesh murph they are at 100 percent ,700x1000+ pixels. I think alot of guys use a dialup on this board. smile.gif

Defects that I see :

TLC color flake, BLC "fuzz" , due to a very light impact perhaps.

Bottom back cover edge is not perfectly square towards the right hand edge , although it would press out very easily prior to submission.

That's really about it, spine is stress free. Color and gloss are like new. Really been debating slabbing this copy, primarily due to the damage I saw done to a recently sold graded 9.4 that was loose in the holder.

Has CGC streamlined their wedge system yet?

If you can press out that little mark you spoke of (I'm assuming it's the stress mark that shows up down near the bottom bindary corner), I'd say it's a solid 9.0. If the scan is blowing up that bindary corner to more significant than it actually is, it's probably a 9.2

If you decide not to slab it and still want to sell, I would like to purchase it.

I don't know how consistantly they're putting wedges in. I should have a shipment back Mon, Tues, or hell maybe even Wed. If you'd like I can let you know if they "wedged" them or not.

Brian

Scan and the very white BC are definitely magnifying that "defect" . I would be very surprised if it came back a 9.0. CGC is spine crazy to say the least, this copy is very clean in that department. Any other feedback....calling all graders!

Pages are a solid OW-W leaning towards White , no CREAM here smile.gif

I am really not looking to sell it raw unfortunately. I have pretty much gotten out of that side of selling and into the "plastic" market.

Prices realized are uncomparable...Ever since Comic Keys wisely picked up my killer 26 NM+ or better for under $2k, and I sold a graded copy soon after for $6k I have gone plastic and won't go back for selling.

I will however let you and the other forum members know what it does come back as...Let's see who the master pre-grader is!

Yeh, I wanted to buy some of your books but unfortunately I made the mistake of listening to some of the ppl on the forum on that one. But can't blame them they were 1 for 2.

Brian

I'd say it was a 9.2.

A very nice looking copy, but its that impact damage on the bottom left corner that keeps it from being a 9.4. Also looks like some wear to the bottom staple, or is the scan exaggerating that?

I'd say it was a 9.2.

A very nice looking copy, but its that impact damage on the bottom left corner that keeps it from being a 9.4. Also looks like some wear to the bottom staple, or is the scan exaggerating that?

Maybe that is why it might be kept out of the 9.6 grade? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

9.4/9.6, going mostly based upon your defect descriptions. Too easy for defects to be hidden on a scan. I lean towards 9.6.

Are you confident the top and right edges aren't trimmed? I don't see specific reason to think they are from the scan, but they're awfully straight for such an early Marvel.

9.4/9.6, going mostly based upon your defect descriptions. Too easy for defects to be hidden on a scan. I lean towards 9.6.

Are you confident the top and right edges aren't trimmed? I don't see specific reason to think they are from the scan, but they're awfully straight for such an early Marvel.

Don't appear to be , book in hand. Certainly looked over very hard by myself for any possible resto, especially CT and trimming. But I will leave that up to CGC , another reason why I am selling only plastic these days. smile.gif

I pregraded this copy a NM 9.4 ,almost hate the idea of getting it graded as I will sell it immediately upon it's return. Lot of cash paid for high grade 11's and I have one major purchase I need to partially fund this year.

Thanks for the feedback all, I will bump this up with a graded pic in the future.

I'm going with 9.4 without seeing page quality although I would want a measurement to verify that is has not been trimmed, the comic code is a bit close to the edge. I have seen that many times but I would have to check measurements.

I definitely would be interested in purchasing this book - send me PM offer.

Tom

I'm going with 9.4 without seeing page quality although I would want a measurement to verify that is has not been trimmed, the comic code is a bit close to the edge. I have seen that many times but I would have to check measurements.

Tom

How would a measurement tell you if the book has been trimmed or not? What would you be measuring? You can't verify a trim by measuring width and height; the widths and heights on these books varied by at least as much as 1/4" back in the early 60s.

Tomega,

I have to side with FF here, you can not determine if a book has been trimmed solely by "measuring".

And using the Comic code logo as an indicator of a trim job simply does not work .

Here is a good example....

21.bmp

When the 11 is graded I will be looking to sell, I will be more than happy to PM you then.

Thanks for your feedback!

Tom

How would a measurement tell you if the book has been trimmed or not? What would you be measuring? You can't verify a trim by measuring width and height; the widths and heights on these books varied by at least as much as 1/4" back in the early 60s.

Here's a handy little illustration of the perils of the ruler. All examples are from Blue Top CGC graded copies. This is actually mild variance for Daredevil #1:

dd1.box.jpg