• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
33 33

14,127 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I have a lot of FFs that I picked up somewhere.  Not sure what any of them are worth today.  Is this a good one? hm

24162367801_6c7a4d2924_c.jpg

Not particularly.  Give you $10 for it just to keep it from cluttering up your real collection.

1 minute ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Although I really like your offer, what I normally do is take the square root of the 9.2 guide price and multiply it by 1000, then I subtract $26.47...if that is agreeable to you, then just say...:takeit:

I was told there would be no math.

chaseford.jpg

13 hours ago, Venomous72 said:

Random question: what determined when a store or newsstand would receive a shipment of the books in the 60s-70s (say FF books for the sake of this thread)?

For example, on the FF5 I grabbed it has a date stamp of July 1962, but I have seen several copies with April stamps.

Was this kind of thing based on geographical location as to when they get books?

this is an intensely nerdy question I realize….

I have no idea. We’ll try this just for hope’s sake: @rodan57

22 hours ago, Venomous72 said:

Random question: what determined when a store or newsstand would receive a shipment of the books in the 60s-70s (say FF books for the sake of this thread)?

For example, on the FF5 I grabbed it has a date stamp of July 1962, but I have seen several copies with April stamps.

Was this kind of thing based on geographical location as to when they get books?

this is an intensely nerdy question I realize….

Probably geographical... or maybe applied by the owner at the time of purchase. The lion's share of FF 5's I've seen are April.... I used to want an April 12, as that was the date I stopped drinking. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

Probably geographical... or maybe applied by the owner at the time of purchase. The lion's share of FF 5's I've seen are April.... I used to want an April 12, as that was the date I stopped drinking. GOD BLESS...

Definitely seems reasonable. Another board member mentioned it is probably a ‘return date’ stamp that was sent back to the distributor as an unsold copy. Which makes sense since only the month and year are on there 

3 minutes ago, Venomous72 said:

Definitely seems reasonable. Another board member mentioned it is probably a ‘return date’ stamp that was sent back to the distributor as an unsold copy. Which makes sense since only the month and year are on there 

That could easily be it... they had a 3 month shelf life. GOD BLESS...

2 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Your 9.4's always look "hand picked" for eye appeal... is that true ? Do you wait for the "right" copy ? GOD BLESS...

Thanks. Believe it or not, eye appeal has always been last on my list of considerations (I really don't care if a book is off-center). Although, its possible that I sub-consciously pulled high eye-appeal books to look at first when choosing books to buy.

I also think its possible that people were sending in their best stuff to be graded between 2000-2004, and that's when I was buying most of these.