• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any good comic shops in Chicago?

24 posts in this topic

I was going to be in the Chicago area with my wife for a wedding and was wondering if there are comic shops worth visiting? gossip.gif

chicago comics is a very cool store with a super friendly staff and a lot of unusual merchandise...it's the best run, cleanest, brightest comic shop I've ever seen...located one block north of the intersection of clark and belmont...I used to live around the corner from there....the rest of them are kind of lame....

Jonny D.

They are OK...they have a couple of different locations and the one in the city isn't so hot....I think they keep the bulk of there better books in the stores out in the suburbs.

Jonny D.

The Cracker I'm thinking of is on the northside on clark I think...kind of sucky..lots of new stuff and recent back issues.......never been to the one out in bolingbrook , but I hear they keep the better stuff out there...I've seen cracker at a lot of shows and they always have all this silver/gold stock and when I go tothe north chicago store they have nothing???....................................Still think Chicago Comics is great place...they have a large staff and they each have their own expertise....and very well merchansised too...not just junk thrown everywhere.

J.D

I was going to be in the Chicago area with my wife for a wedding and was wondering if there are comic shops worth visiting? gossip.gif

Don't know if you're into this sort of thing, but the Chicago Field Museum is awesome.

They are the museum that bought "Sue" the T-Rex fossil for over 8 million dollars and have it on permanent display. It's the most complete T-Rex fossil ever discovered and has been fully prepped and mounted in their main hall. The actual skull was too heavy, so a replica skull was mounted on the actual skeleton. The authentic skull can be viewed up close in a plexi-glass case upstairs. Plus, the museum is absolutely MASSIVE. Tons of stuff to see. They usually have stuff for the kids to do too if you have any.

Shedd Aquarium is great as well and is right next door to the museum. Both are right along the shore of Lake Michigan.

Chicago Field Museum Website

Sue the T-Rex at the Field Museum

Shedd Aquarium Website

If you like this sort of thing and decide to go, buy advance tickets on-line or over the phone ahead of time. The lines can become long at these places waiting to buy tickets. Advance ticket holders can usually just walk right in to both places. Just click on the "Planning your Visit" on the websites to do that. I think they even offer cheaper combo tickets if you visit both places.

Don't know if you're into this sort of thing, but the Chicago Field Museum is awesome.

They are the museum that bought "Sue" the T-Rex fossil for over 8 million dollars and have it on permanent display. It's the most complete T-Rex fossil ever discovered and has been fully prepped and mounted in their main hall. The actual skull was too heavy, so a replica skull was mounted on the actual skeleton. The authentic skull can be viewed up close in a plexi-glass case upstairs. Plus, the museum is absolutely MASSIVE. Tons of stuff to see. They usually have stuff for the kids to do too if you have any.

Shedd Aquarium is great as well and is right next door to the museum. Both are right along the shore of Lake Michigan.

Chicago Field Museum Website

Sue the T-Rex at the Field Museum

Shedd Aquarium Website

If you like this sort of thing and decide to go, buy advance tickets on-line or over the phone ahead of time. The lines can become long at these places waiting to buy tickets. Just click on the "Planning your Visit" on the websites to do that. I think they even offer cheaper combo tickets if you visit both places.

WTF??????????????????

And actual helpful and informative reply from Bug????

That even included links for more information????

Where's a fainting smiley when you need one????

We don't have any specific plans. Just kind of winging it. Open any suggestions. Thanks.

Can't beat Wrigley Field if you like baseball....one of the oldest stadiums left in the country....and its right smack in the middle of a residential neighborhood...(wrigleyville) day games are a blast...also has some of the best irish pubs all around it...sometimes it would take me 8 hours just to walk home 3 blocks after a game cause I had to stop at every one..

Jonny D. tongue.gif

skip graham crackers... the stores are mediocre, their inventory is over priced, and their grading is spotty at best... I was to a store of theirs when a friend of mine was in chicago and I was less than impressed. And I've seen them at the shows often and their stuff is some of the most over priced there is.

skip graham crackers... the stores are mediocre, their inventory is over priced, and their grading is spotty at best... I was to a store of theirs when a friend of mine was in chicago and I was less than impressed. And I've seen them at the shows often and their stuff is some of the most over priced there is.

I agree Graham Crackers never had anything to offer me when I lived there either.

J.D.

Flying in? Or driving? August 8th to 10th has WIZARD WORLD. If your flying in to O'Hara around that time, its something to check out.

If your flying in to MIDWAY there's TENTH PLANET at 95th and Cicero Ave. Its a pretty cool comic shop with lots of comics and stuff.

And if you go to the SHEDD ad FIELD Museum you should also check out the PLANETAIRUM. Its right there too. Make sure to see one of the star shows.

If your into old TV and radio, check out the MUSEUM OF BROADCASTNG on Michigan and Washington. Its one of my favorite museums. Has all the old kid shows I grew up with. Old sets and such. Pretty cool.

From what I've found.. Graham Crackers is overpriced and you have to find the right store to get what you're looking for. Only other comic shops I've been to have been in Palatine.

Brian

What's the point? The graded comics market is going up in flames and comics in general are the stupid mans investment. Sink your money into pork rinds and baby oil. You'll get just as good a return on them and you'll stand out from the rest of the sheep in here.

What's the point? The graded comics market is going up in flames and comics in general are the stupid mans investment. Sink your money into pork rinds and baby oil. You'll get just as good a return on them and you'll stand out from the rest of the sheep in here.

haheheeeeee nice fiddle-smashin graemlin 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

"skip graham crackers... the stores are mediocre, their inventory is over priced, and their grading is spotty at best... I was to a store of theirs when a friend of mine was in chicago and I was less than impressed. And I've seen them at the shows often and their stuff is some of the most over priced there is. "

Sounds like almost every other comic shop.

How soon are you travelling?

Coincidentally, I got a flyer in the mail today from Graham Crackers. They're having a 50% off back issue sale at their stores June 20, 21, 22. So if you're going this weekend, it might be worth checking out. I got on their mailing list because I won something from them on eBay-- not a bad deal, but as others have said it was overgraded and I low-ball bid accordingly. 50% discount sounds just about right!

Apparently they have 9 locations, so PM me if you'd like details (or try their site at grahamcrackers.com).

Cheers,

Z.