• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One for the road... Please grade this Crime Suspenstories #27!

18 posts in this topic

Thanks for the help so far...here's the last of these for now. Bought this from Harley Yee ages ago. Last issue of the run, and an awesome black cover by Jack Kamen!

Front has minor wear, glossy with great eye appeal. Some minor flaws on the back cover...slight thumb smudges on the left edge, plus a light NCB vertical crease towards the bottom, 1.5" to left of spine. That's about it. Thanks!

css27.jpg

css27back.jpg

7.0 - maybe nicer - I'm guessing Harley called it a F/VF?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif You know, I'm pretty sure he called it VF. A bit optimistic, but in fairness this was around eight years ago, so standards were a bit looser. Doesn't much matter anyhow, as I'm real happy with the book whatever the technical grade.

7.0 - maybe nicer - I'm guessing Harley called it a F/VF?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif You know, I'm pretty sure he called it VF. A bit optimistic, but in fairness this was around eight years ago, so standards were a bit looser. Doesn't much matter anyhow, as I'm real happy with the book whatever the technical grade.

The only reason I didn't go higher than 7.0 was the NCB crease you mention - which I can't see in the scan. I don't know why anyone would call it only a 6.0? For reference here is a book I bought off Harley as a 7.0 in the mid 1990s. I remember thinking it was close enough at the time - especially since it

was priced close to guide (back in the days before Harley figured out what classic cover pre-code crime and horror books could sell for)

wt25.jpg

And for an EC comparison - I believe Harley called this a 6.5 around the same time.

css22.jpg

$60 yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

I used to be able to order at least 1 book from just about every Harley catalog back then - then one day he wised up and the sweet deals were no longer to be found frown.gif

Here's a partial list of books that Harley sold to me for at most 120% of guide;

CSS #22

Witches Tales #25

Horrific #3

Racket Squad #12 (high grade)

Crime Does Not Pay #24

Fight Against Crime #20

I was much more into pre-code crime than horror in those days - so I'm sure I missed out on some great books - and of

course not everything in his catalog was available by the time it arrived.