• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how do you guys collect?

38 posts in this topic

Just wondering how all of you collect your runs. Do you start from the begining and work forward, from the end and work backwards or basically grab whatever is available at the time? When i started my J.L.o.A. run about 10 yrs ago i decided to start from 261 and work my way back (mainly because i was your average broke 16 yr. old). Had i known then how much the issues would rise sharply in price, i definetely would have slowly but surely started from the begining. cool.gif

Just wondering how all of you collect your runs. Do you start from the begining and work forward, from the end and work backwards or basically grab whatever is available at the time? When i started my J.L.o.A. run about 10 yrs ago i decided to start from 261 and work my way back (mainly because i was your average broke 16 yr. old). Had i known then how much the issues would rise sharply in price, i definetely would have slowly but surely started from the begining. cool.gif

For me it's pure random. I compiled this Neal Adams checklist and I'm jumping all over the place on it. I'd like to be able to start on one title and stick it out until I complete, but that ain't happening.

I used to collect the same way when I was kid, getting hyped up about a particular set of characters and bouncing all the place. I got back into collecting because of the Spidey movie hype and just couldn't see myself sticking to one title what with all the great stuff I missed out on in 60s and 70s.

i begin with the key books and fill in then from there with whatever comes up available to me in grade... if i see the book I grab it. It doesn't matter what order. If you pass on a book it may not be available again at the same price or in the same grade. The keys or anniversary issues (JLA 200 for some reason took forever for me to find in NM... it was out of every collection, and the book isn't that rare) seem to always go... I was in D.C. and found the 200 in NM for like $5 (guide I think) and I was thrilled... and I didn't even really collect JLAs

(JLA 200 for some reason took forever for me to find in NM... it was out of every collection, and the book isn't that rare)

Were you just looking for NM? DC seemed to have lost the formula for printing the square-bound books sometime between their 100 Page Super Spectaculars and the time of JLA 200, Detective 500 and maybe 1 or 2 others I've forgotten. Many of those early 80s square-bound books had a bad waviness to their covers. Also: JLA 200 had some great art-- rare Brian Bolland interiors on Batman (pre-Killing Joke)& Green Arrow & Black Canary. Joe Kubert on Hawkman & Superman. Infantino on Flash. Gil Kane on GL & the Atom. Giordano on Wonder Woman & Zatanna. Jim Aparo on Aquaman & Phantom Stranger. And 1 pinup page for each chapter/subteam. Cool book, the latest (most recent) JLA from the original run that I've bothered to keep in my collection.

And how do I collect? Put me down for starting with the keys and then working outward. For some titles (Green Lantern, JLA, Doom Patrol) I'll strive to be a completist within a run. For other titles like Batman or Detective, I'll happily pick and choose which issues to keep based on the quality of the art, story or covers (my own personal list of "micro-keys!") And for a title like the Silver Age (Infantino) Flash, I'll collect all issues that haven't been reprinted, but not bother to collect original issues that feature stories already reprinted in 80 Page Giants, 100 Page Super Spectaculars, Archives, etc.

zonker:

yeah, it was a book that I wasn't going to settle for less than a 9.4 in because it shouldn't be that hard to get... until I started to look... when I finally found it... it really was one of the most beautiful copies I've seen when I've come across them since.

You brought up another interesting point concerning the reprint of material... I wasn't buying stuff that I had in the Masterworks or archives, but certain books, man I've just gotta own the original of let's say, Avengers #4... that book in its original form is just great. I buy a number of DC archives though, just to read... Plus, for some reason the reprint technology DC uses seems to be better than what they use for the Masterworks, so I don't mind those being my only source to own them in.

Your absolutely right foolkiller. That issue 200 is extremely difficult to find in high grade. My copy is only in gd/vg condition. Every convention ive attended in the past few years has no sign of this issue in sight. Could we just of stumbled on to another elusive in high grade bronze? CGC census does show all of its submissions in high grade, but are there very many more out there. cool.gif

Just wondering how all of you collect your runs. Do you start from the begining and work forward, from the end and work backwards or basically grab whatever is available at the time?

It all depends what the title is. Generally I like to pick up the early issues first, but on tough titles like Silver Age JIM & STT it has ended up being a much more random affair, as the availability factor comes in to play.

I buy whatever I can find, due to the fact that I'm extremely picky in the way the book looks. If I find a book that fits my criteria and it's #80, I'll go after it. Same goes for if it's any other #, I usually have to pass due to books being off-centered. It'll start getting tough when I get down to only needing 10 or so.

Brian

For my reading collection:

I concentrate on two or three titles and work my way backwards in time. Currently, I'm working on Thor (almost done), Batman, and Detective Comics. Once I complete my Thor reading set (which is my main focus at this time), I'll get to work on my Daredevil reading set. Also, whenever I'm lucky enough to find Quarter or 50 cent bins, I rummage through them and buy anything that I don't already have but want (I'm not very picky, either).

For my high-grade collection:

I'm concentrating on specific, such as Simonson's Thor run, Miller's first Daredevil run, or John Byrne's Alpha Flight run and buy stuff whenever it becomes available. The last couple of months, I've not bought any books for this collection as I'm concentrating on completing my reading runs.

Generally I like to pick up the early issues first, but on tough titles like Silver Age JIM & STT it has ended up being a much more random affair, as the availability factor comes in to play.

Gotta buy when they're available. Have the same problem. Trying to get complete runs of everything I read as a kid. Considering I was reading in the early 60's that's a lot of Silver Age stuff. It helps when your not a hi-grade collector. But I do have my minimums. Anything better than a Fine as far as the 60's go is ok by me. When I do get a VF though, that's something very special for me. 70's and up stuff is VF or better.

I collect high grade (cgc slabbed 9.6 or higher) - Amazing Spider-man, Spectacular Spider-man, Web of Spider-man, Marvel Team-up, Marvel Tales, Ultimate Spider-man, Spider-man, Peter Parker: Spider-man, and the mini series (not cgc graded). I also collect high grade Fantastic Fours, Wonder Woman, Witchblade, Tomb Raider and Fathom.

With the Amazing Spider-man - from 1 - 20 (cgc 9.2 and higher), 21 - 99 (cgc 9.6 and higher), 100 and above (cgc 9.8 and higher). It will probably take a long time to get them all, but hey, that's the fun of collecting for me. I also have reading copies, trade paper backs and Marvel Masterworks which I use whenever I want to read some of the stories. 893frustrated.gif

I collect high grade (cgc slabbed 9.6 or higher) - Amazing Spider-man, Spectacular Spider-man, Web of Spider-man, Marvel Team-up, Marvel Tales, Ultimate Spider-man, Spider-man, Peter Parker: Spider-man, and the mini series (not cgc graded). I also collect high grade Fantastic Fours, Wonder Woman, Witchblade, Tomb Raider and Fathom.

With the Amazing Spider-man - from 1 - 20 (cgc 9.2 and higher), 21 - 99 (cgc 9.6 and higher), 100 and above (cgc 9.8 and higher). It will probably take a long time to get them all, but hey, that's the fun of collecting for me. I also have reading copies, trade paper backs and Marvel Masterworks which I use whenever I want to read some of the stories. 893frustrated.gif

Pardon me, but can you please adopt me. Its obvious that you are a multi-millionaire. I want to live in la-la land too. insane.gif

I collect pretty much what I think is going to go up in value the most first or what I believe is the most scarce. For example, I plan to collect the first year or two of all the DC Copper Age comics but since they are still relatively new and common I am gonna put that on the backburner for now. I am gonna go after some of the more expensive silver age and bronze age for now.

How do you guys collect?

I don't. I'm letting all the jive turkeys sink their money into graded comics while I sit back and wait for the market to nose dive. When that happens, AfroJoe's going to swoop in like white on Michael Jackson and take all the books he wants for pennies on the dollar. The specs will be reduced to rolling up my bell bottoms and licking my boots for pocket change. Solid.

I collect all appearances of certain characters or groups. For example, I have all appearances of the Metal Men and Moon Knight. I'll get whatever I can whenever the price is right. Lately I have noticed that I am going for the older issues after I complete the newer runs. Condition is usually not a big hang-up although I try to get the best condition I can afford. Being a completist I have to have complete runs also. I have complete runs of most bronze age Marvels, except X-men,Spider-Man and Thor which I have never really liked. I am also a big Legion fan and have most of their appearances up to the Reboot. I will on occasion pick up some comics that I think will go up in value in the next year or so and any bargains I might chance into.

With the Amazing Spider-man - from 1 - 20 (cgc 9.2 and higher), 21 - 99 (cgc 9.6 and higher), 100 and above (cgc 9.8 and higher). It will probably take a long time to get them all

Good luck with that one. You are sure going to need it. shocked.gif