• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Civil War event...

3 posts in this topic

to everyone who's been buying/reading it...does it has anything good/interesting (how has been affecting the major titles?)?

i've noticed that apart affecting all the major titles (and destroying literally all the covers with that "black hole logo") there's also a couple of mini series getting out too...anything good?

regards

to everyone who's been buying/reading it...does it has anything good/interesting (how has been affecting the major titles?)?

i've noticed that apart affecting all the major titles (and destroying literally all the covers with that "black hole logo") there's also a couple of mini series getting out too...anything good?

regards

First issue of X-Men CW was nothing to write home about, but i'll be picking up the rest anyway.

Enjoying the Runaways/YA x-over. Mostly because I really like the Runaways. Maybe it the writers on this x-over, but the YA are really being portrays as dinks. Of course, I never was into the regular Avengers, so having a bunch of Mini-Mes running around speaking in the same voices might have something to do with that.

I agree that the X-Men books seem to be nothing but a waste of time so far... in an attempt to squeeze a little more cash out of the Civil War event. I thought it'd be neat when the original 4 X-Men took off on their own, but it has been disappointing so far. The next book should have a nice battle though.

But the actual Civil War books themselves have been great, in my opinion. It's neat to see superheroes being put into a very modern situation. Old traditions and ideals combined with privacy rights vs. a structured system, and taking responsibility for the immense amount of damage that occurs in every battle. In one Spiderman book, he commented on the bill Peter was going to recieve after tearing up a building.

The art really just smacks you in the face with the realization of what modern comics are. The colors and lighting are absolutely breathtaking, namely in the main Civil War series. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this very photoshop-looking direction of art. It does make me miss simpler times, but I also can't deny that it's pretty beautiful. Other books are doing a good job too, but they're not spending the time on each image that the main series does. It seems to be the quality that most comics strive for these days, and don't quite reach.

And I really like the direction they're taking with Spiderman. There couldn't be a better choice for a hero on the fence as far as his decision goes. The danger of his family, the frustration and anger in all his old enemies when they find out. And I like how they compare his situation to that of the Fantastic 4, who have been open since day 1, and better off in these ways because of it. That gives registration a little boost in support. And I think it's pretty clear what Spiderman is going to end up doing, but who knows?