• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

20-book Marvel Silver age lot (plus Byrne XMen for good measure)

11 posts in this topic

For the past several years, a coin/antiques dealer I know has promised me that he had some comics to show me. Finally, after badgering him about once a year (I only see him annually) he brought them to me. He said he had 50 books, it was really only 21. He said they were golden age, the books were really silver age with a few bronze. Of course, he had listed the NM price guide, so his ask was a bit high. I was surprised, but in retrospect, I shouldn't have been, since it seems that everyone who has an older comic thinks it's as rare as Detective 27...

Having said that, the books are pretty good. The earliest is Fantastic Four 8, (first puppetmaster and Alicia Masters); the next is Spiderman 30 (Ditko), then XMen 39, 42, 45, 56 (first Neal Adams), 60, 112, 113, 118, 119. There is also XMen Annual 1 and 2, Avengers Annual 2, 3 (reprints first silverage Captain America), and 4. Others are: Conan 3, Green Lantern 15, Superman 185, Uncle Scrooge (forget which #, but from 1957). All books are at least VG except for the GL 15 (water damaged). I haven't looked them over carefully, but I figured I had been after him so long that I was compelled to buy them. They are books that are mostly duplicates for me, so if anyone wants them as a lot, give me a price I can live with and they're yours.

Thanks, JB (comicparadox@aol.com)

Perhaps with a few scans,you'll get more action. As it is,I'm leery to go $10 a book .VG Xmen from the 110s don't bring much more than $10,same with the Annuals.Who knows what a GL 15 with water damage will bring.Please lt me know if they make ebay. Best of luck.

Where is Bettsville? If semi-close to Atlanta, bring them to the show on november 5th. If not me, someone will buy them.

SHAME ON ME...

This is my Boards "bio". It's a joke, but obviously one that's too obscure:

"Born in a backseat. Daddy wound up on the wrong end of a gun. On Disability for obsessive-compulsive disorder. I enjoy listening to southern rock, and riding Greyhound. Write me at: Dickey's Double Wide Trailer Park, Highway 41, Bettsville, Georgia"

I'm sorry that my in-joke was so obtuse, but if you look at my profile, the whole thing is just a riff on an old Allman Brothers tune (Ramblin' Man). It's too bad for me that I made the joke so obscure.

Here's the Full NETWORK OF DISCLOSURE:

1. The Allman Brothers was, of course, a Georgia-based kick-arse redneck band.

2. Dickey Betts wrote, played guitar, and sang Ramblin' Man, as well as playing lead with Duane (before ol' Duane crashed and became celestial). When I was in high school, the Allmans were the penultimate rock.

3. No, my daddy didn't truly end up on the wrong end of a gun, he's a retired sailor.

4. And, no, I wasn't born in the back seat of a Greyhound bus, and I don't even know where Highway 41 is.

5. I'm still gainfully employed, not on Disability. The obsessive-compulsive part just applies to most everyone on this board when it comes to comics, I suppose... insane.gif

I forgot to add that there's also a Sub-Mariner 1 (silver age not golden age) and Marvel Feature 1 (first Defenders) in the pile. 22 books in total, not 21 as I'd thought. The "*" next to a title indicates books in fine or better, otherwise VG books for the most part. I'll do my best to get some scans up in the next few days...

Here's the list again:

Amazing Spider-Man 30

Avengers 53 (X-Men vs. the Avengers)

Avengers Annual 2, 3, 4 (Annual 3 reprints first SA Captain America appearance)

Brave and the Bold 93* (Batman/House of Mystery Neal Adams cover)

Conan 3 (supposedly "scarce" in some areas, but a cool Barry Smith cover)

Fantastic Four 8 (first Alicia Masters, Puppetmaster)

Green Lantern 15 (water damage)

Marvel Feature 1* (first Defenders) (squarebound giant-size book)

Sub-Mariner 1*

Superman 158

Uncle Scrooge 18 (10cent)

X-Men 39*, 42, 56 (first Neal Adams XMen), 60, 112*, 113, 118*, 119*

X-Men KingSize 1, 2*