• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paratrooper covers RUN

1,682 posts in this topic

When I was a kid, which was so very long ago, BlackHawk was one of my favorite title and I would search for back issues. I remeber what a bog deal it was for me to find 107 and 108. I'm digressing again in my dotage here. My question is how many parachute cover were there in the Blackhawk title?

The Blackhawks with Paratrooper covers (I've identified anyway) are:

Blackhawk 34

Blackhawk 75

Blackhawk 87

Blackhawk 92

Blackhawk 99

Blackhawk 104

Blackhawk 122

Blackhawk 140

Blackhawk 150

Blackhawk 157

Blackhawk 180

Blackhawk 259

Blackhawk 265

Blackhawk 271

Balckhawk 8 (modern series)

I've gotten most of them, the ones I'm still missing are: #75, 157, 271, 8 (modern)

not too difficult to get the remaining ones.

When I was a kid, which was so very long ago, BlackHawk was one of my favorite title and I would search for back issues. I remeber what a bog deal it was for me to find 107 and 108. I'm digressing again in my dotage here. My question is how many parachute cover were there in the Blackhawk title?

IIRC Blackhawks from the 1960s used to have a trading corner or something similar, where Blackhawk fans would list back issues they had available or were looking for, along with a contact address. Outside the occaisonal letter to Marvel in the early days, where a reader would be asking where they could find earlier issues, I don't recall any other Silver Age titles fostering it's fan base in such a way.

Being one of those rare hero titles published continuously from the GA into the SA, I suspect that Blackhawk was held in higher esteem in the early days of comic fandom than the title is now.

At what point in comic history do you think war books went out of fashion, or became less popular? I know the Bronze age it was still going strongly, but sometime in the copper age it started to die. I wonder if the Vietnam war had anything to do with the waning popularity of war books...?

It may have to do with distribution. When the focus shifted to shops, it became mega-superhero land. It's not like war books were dominant in the 60s or 70s anyway. One book from Marvel, maybe five on average from DC. But Superman or Batman appeared in about five books each month too, so it's been a subset for a long time.

I don't have a good handle on Charlton's montly output (though I know all the titles of course) so is it fair to say that Charlton was the most war dominated since it might've had 4-5 war titles a month while having a much smaller overall output?

Marc

I don't have a good handle on Charlton's montly output (though I know all the titles of course) so is it fair to say that Charlton was the most war dominated since it might've had 4-5 war titles a month while having a much smaller overall output?

I don't know about that part. Let's look at the random info I have for June 1972. Dell is by far the most prolific with 52 books following closely by the pack of 3: Marvel / DC / Charlton respectively at 43 / 40 / 37 books each (that's counting books that were bi-monthly and came out in May or June). Trailing were Harvey (28) and Archie (23). So the Charlton output wasn't that much smaller.

As for their emphasis on War titles, yes and no, they published the following that month: Attack!, Fightin' Army, Fightin' Marines and that's it. No Fightin' Navy yet or other titles.

The other books they had out were:

Beetle Bailey, Billy the Kid, Blondie Comics, Bobby Sherman, Career Girl Romances, Cheyenne Kid, David Cassidy, Drag'N'Wheels, Flintstones, For Lovers Only, Geronimo Jones, Ghostly Haunts, Ghostly Tales, Ghost Manor, Hanna-Barbera Parade, Haunted, Hot Rods and Racing Cars, I Love You, Jetsons, Just Married, Love and Romance, Love Diary, Many Ghosts of Dr. Graves, Partridge Family, Pebbles and Bamm Bamm, Popeye, Primus, Romantic Story, Secret Romance, Sweethearts, Teen-Age Love, Teen Confessions, Time for Love, Top Cat

it seems Romance was their biggest output then Horror then Western then War then various properties and assorted funny animals.

I wonder if the Vietnam war had anything to do with the waning popularity of war books...?

I've thought this. There certainly was a change in attitude toward the military that occurred between 65 - 75. Perceptions have changed since then, but there is still a substantial minority that would be very uncomfortable with war comics. I've met a number of collectors who've made the specific point to me that they would never collect war comics. Leaves more for me so I'm not exactly encouraging anyone to change...

it seems Romance was their biggest output then Horror then Western then War then various properties and assorted funny animals.

Scrooge, you know I find that stuff very interesting so thanks for posting it. It's funny, but maybe because I was talking about changes in distribution, I was picturing more of the Charlton output in the 1979-1982 period when I made the post. By then I'd think the licensing deals were over (even six million dollar man and emergency and space 1999?) and romance was dead, but they had brought back war titles like navy and battlefield action and started war. So how about looking at the output at some point in there? That way maybe we can both be right. flowerred.gif

When you say Dell, I assume you mean Gold Key by that point. As a guy who sees a lot of books, it's interesting to me how many books GK and Charlton were publishing in 1972 and especially interesting in how few were saved (or maybe how few actually sold in Charlton's case) because you sure wouldn't think that Charlton published about the same as Marvel.

Marc

Scrooge, you know I find that stuff very interesting so thanks for posting it. It's funny, but maybe because I was talking about changes in distribution, I was picturing more of the Charlton output in the 1979-1982 period when I made the post. By then I'd think the licensing deals were over (even six million dollar man and emergency and space 1999?) and romance was dead, but they had brought back war titles like navy and battlefield action and started war. So how about looking at the output at some point in there? That way maybe we can both be right. flowerred.gif

When you say Dell, I assume you mean Gold Key by that point. As a guy who sees a lot of books, it's interesting to me how many books GK and Charlton were publishing in 1972 and especially interesting in how few were saved (or maybe how few actually sold in Charlton's case) because you sure wouldn't think that Charlton published about the same as Marvel.

Marc

I was thinking the same thing -- and how cheap the company must have been in order to publish that many comics with what must have much shorter print runs than the big boys.

Well, using a printing press that was made for cereal boxes had to help. smile.gif

Paying one typist instead of a few letterers couldn't have hurt. 27_laughing.gif

How about the fact that the stories 1) didn't make sense, 2) seemed to stop in mid-stream, and 3) were recycled incessantly ...

Well, using a printing press that was made for cereal boxes had to help. smile.gif

Paying one typist instead of a few letterers couldn't have hurt. 27_laughing.gif

How about the fact that the stories 1) didn't make sense, 2) seemed to stop in mid-stream, and 3) were recycled incessantly ...

You've actually tried reading a few Charltons? 893whatthe.gifhail.gif

Actually, the war stories I've read were better than I expected. And I don't mean to bag on all Charltons. I'm sending out an Out of This World #9 tomorrow that is exceptionally cool from the cover down to the two Ditko stories.

Marc