• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM CAP 100

27 posts in this topic

I had this graded at a 7.5 which is too high on closer examination. It looks more in the neighborhood to me of strong 6.5 or very weak 7.0

Because I was so off on this one, please give me very specific comments as to what brings it down.

I appreciate the learning experience!

100coverVF.jpg

100backVF.jpg

Okay, I'll go first. Starting at the top of the spine and working down, by the time I've counted spine stresses it's already looking like an 8.0. There's a double crease at the lower right corner of the front cover (7.0) and a little crease at the upper right corner (let's ignore that one for a sec). The edges are decent, there's a little crease on the bottom edge but again that fits into a 7.0ish book. On to the back cover, there's a crease at the bottom left corner (added to the other little defects that's a 6.5 at best), then the top left corner of the back cover is a little grubby with another crease. Then there's a nick to the top edge, so it's a 6.0 on a good day. And since I was letting a few little things slide, I wouldn't be outraged if someone else said 5.5.

The date stamp isn't a defect, just something that should be noted (I don't mind them, some people do).

It's not toilet paper, but nor is it a 7.5.

Okay, I'll go first. Starting at the top of the spine and working down, by the time I've counted spine stresses it's already looking like an 8.0. There's a double crease at the lower right corner of the front cover (7.0) and a little crease at the upper right corner (let's ignore that one for a sec). The edges are decent, there's a little crease on the bottom edge but again that fits into a 7.0ish book. On to the back cover, there's a crease at the bottom left corner (added to the other little defects that's a 6.5 at best), then the top left corner of the back cover is a little grubby with another crease. Then there's a nick to the top edge, so it's a 6.0 on a good day. And since I was letting a few little things slide, I wouldn't be outraged if someone else said 5.5.

The date stamp isn't a defect, just something that should be noted (I don't mind them, some people do).

It's not toilet paper, but nor is it a 7.5.

that pretty much nailed it..5.5-6.0

My guess would be straight 6.0 for heavy dings on spine corners, spine wear and corner creasing, with 6.5 a possibility. The extra creasing on the back makes me think it should be held to a straight Fine, but I do think it's better than 5.5. No major defects that I can see, just an accumulation of general wear.

And kudos for being willing to reevaluate your grading. thumbsup2.gif Hey, we've all had to do it ourselves at one time or another. Stick around!

Prime example of a solid 6.0 - no major defects, but a fair accumulation of smaller ones at the edges and corners. 6.5 would be an acceptable grade - but 7.0 would be pushing it, though no more than many raw 7.0 books. 5.5 would make any buyer happy -(well almost any buyer - some are never satisfied)

My guess would be straight 6.0 for heavy dings on spine corners, spine wear and corner creasing, with 6.5 a possibility. The extra creasing on the back makes me think it should be held to a straight Fine, but I do think it's better than 5.5. No major defects that I can see, just an accumulation of general wear.

I could see a 5.0 based on your comments above, but really no higher.

I think what happens is there is a tendency to grade key issues less harshly than normal. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

one piece of advise re: scans. it helps to have a coloured background paper of some sort against which the cover won't fade away, as it does when just using the scanner door as a backdrop.

those packages of coloured construction paper work nicely. chipboard would also work. you just want to stay away from anything with a pattern, like corrugated cardboard and the like.

wrt the grades, i'd say this is a F- based on the scan.

i'd also like to join Point Five in giving you kudos for the mature way you've handled the criticism and your desire to get tighter on your grading thumbsup2.gif

Where is the staining?

The entire LEBC along the spine is stained. Check out the severity of the spine bends - there are at least 15 visible moderate bends.

hail.gif Got it now...good eye. Do you really think the whole spine is stained? I see a few tiny areas of moisture, but am assuming the rest is just discoloration. (Buckeye, what say you?)

I'll go with 5.5 overall. The front still looks nice enough that not sure I'd drop it further, but your mileage may vary.

(And being early-SA-centric as I am, it didn't occur to me that this was a key!, but I know what you mean.)

i'd also like to join Point Five in giving you kudos for the mature way you've handled the criticism and your desire to get tighter on your grading thumbsup2.gif

Your. Joking. Right? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

i dunno. maybe he should have lobbed sarcasm grenades at everyone who disagreed with him? insane.gif

I see what you are talking about but it doesn't seem like moisture to me. It does just seem like dirt (yuck!) In fact this dirt is making the creases stand out big time on the back. When you run your finger over it they hardly can be felt. They are deep enough to have let dirty hands miss them as they left filth around them.

As I look closer and closer at this, I can't believe that I called it a 7.5. foreheadslap.gif I either didn't look close enough before I simply put on the blinders because I wanted it to be higher. What a dope.

I don't know if you can tell from the scans but the gloss and ink brilliance is beautifull.

I do appreciate all the help even when it is masquerading as shots at me. I'm not as bad at grading as this book instance. Just ask Inhuman if I can be tough. wink.gif With grading, you can never be too good though and I need to keep at it.

There is no way this book grades a straight 6.0. The spine creasing and staining alone don't warrant a FN grade. tongue.gif

I agree. Look at the back there are numerous defects and stains (if you look close enough) for this to go any higher than 5.5 IMHO. I have seen some FN/FN+ books with overhang that is creased but this book has too many other defects to put it in the same category.