• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie Questions

19 posts in this topic

Hey all!!

I just stumbled on these great boards and have picked up a bunch of good info from all the post. Thanks to all the posters.

A quick bit about me. I have been collecting my favorite titles for about 20 years (mostly 1980 - 2000 [embarrassing lack of self control] but I loved them anyhow) but sold off my collection to help pay the bills when a baby popped out three years ago. I did pretty good with e-bay and no-one complained about my books or grading which is strange since I grew up in the VF/NM for all nice looking books.

I recently got my hands on a large (150) stash of early SA books (1958-1962) and have some questions about selling the old books. Most of the set is in Good - Fine condition so I can't see them getting slabbed. Some of the comics have only been slabbed 5-10 times so is it wise to slab rare books in lower grades. I have looked over the recent Overstreet guides (grading & price) and most are in the $15 - $50 range. Is there a good time to end an auction (I have heard late on Sunday night) and has anyone seen a rise in prices just before Christmas (shopping sprees)?

I will post the story of how I got these books if anyone is interested since its a pretty cool story (or at least I think so). Thanks for any info about the best way to sell these cool books.

Are guys waiting for the story?? I think its good but not popcorn good.

I was helping clean up after a party at a friends house and noticed a stack of old books sitting on a desk in his garage and had to flip over the top book. Of course I flipped over Batman 112 or close to it. Couldn't believe he would have a 50 year old comic just chilling in his garage. Flipped through the stack and although dusty - most were in great shape. There was some Challengers of the Unknown and a bunch of World's Finest from the 95 - 140 range. The oldest comic I had in my collection was a ASM 129 that I wisely bought ages ago for $20. Went right up to my buddy and offered to sell them for him with a 50/50 split. Of course the first thought was to give him a buck a piece and laugh all the way to e-bay but like I said he is a buddy. I still can't believe it sometimes since I had dreams about finding a stash a books at Grandma's house when I was a kid growing up. I am sure others have found much bigger finds but it definetely a thrill for this guy. To make it even better - under the comics where a near complete set of Playboys from 1958 -1963. Does anyone have any advice on selling these gems? E-bay is probably my best bet but maybe some other forum would net higher profits?

See now you have the popcorn out and the movie wasn't that good. Reminds me of M. Night's last flick. Women in the water my butt!!

Are guys waiting for the story?? I think its good but not popcorn good.

I was helping clean up after a party at a friends house and noticed a stack of old books sitting on a desk in his garage and had to flip over the top book. Of course I flipped over Batman 112 or close to it. Couldn't believe he would have a 50 year old comic just chilling in his garage. Flipped through the stack and although dusty - most were in great shape. There was some Challengers of the Unknown and a bunch of World's Finest from the 95 - 140 range. The oldest comic I had in my collection was a ASM 129 that I wisely bought ages ago for $20. Went right up to my buddy and offered to sell them for him with a 50/50 split. Of course the first thought was to give him a buck a piece and laugh all the way to e-bay but like I said he is a buddy. I still can't believe it sometimes since I had dreams about finding a stash a books at Grandma's house when I was a kid growing up. I am sure others have found much bigger finds but it definetely a thrill for this guy. To make it even better - under the comics where a near complete set of Playboys from 1958 -1963. Does anyone have any advice on selling these gems? E-bay is probably my best bet but maybe some other forum would net higher profits?

See now you have the popcorn out and the movie wasn't that good. Reminds me of M. Night's last flick. Women in the water my butt!!

Call CGC and see when they plan to start certifying Playboys. I heard a while back that full size magazine grading was potentially in the works, but I don't know if the plan got scrubbed. I know I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to do the page counts on those things!

Call CGC and see when they plan to start certifying Playboys. I heard a while back that full size magazine grading was potentially in the works, but I don't know if the plan got scrubbed. I know I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to do the page counts on those things!

that's why they hired Newt, but the project's been on hold because he loses count every time he hits the centerfold . . . insane.gif

that's why they hired Newt, but the project's been on hold because he loses count every time he hits the centerfold . . . insane.gif

27_laughing.gif

To make it even better - under the comics where a near complete set of Playboys from 1958 -1963. Does anyone have any advice on selling these gems?

Paging Lighthouse... Lighthouse, your expertise in selling Playboys is need in Comics General... Lighthouse...

sign-funnypost.gif hehehe now that's funny

I have a non-paying account with GP Analysis and really haven't spend much time looking it over before I pay for the site. I guess it is worth the money but do you know if I can cancel after a month if I don't get much from it? Thanks.

Oh, about the cool engineer gag. I am actually a traffic engineer (Civil offshoot) and we may be the only cool engineers. Of course I may be still stinging from the whipping I got my first semester of Electrical Engineering!!

How much?? Let me bag them and take a good look at them and scan in some covers and then I will be able to give you a good price. It looks like the majority of them go for about $5 - $10 a piece in this condition on e-bay. The stack also has a bunch of old mens magazine with names like Spice and Jet or such. Some actually have some good "articles" for the time. Unfortunately the owner was a "artist" and marked up some covers with outlines of the good parts. Some have not been sold on e-bay in the last 3 months. Pretty rare stuff!