• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you ever read raw pedigree comics?

36 posts in this topic

I have yet to own a pedigree book. If I did, I probably wouldn't read it. No good can come of it. All that can happen is me damage it. The books are common enough, so why not just read a low grade copy?

Well in my case I don't treat the comics as "trophies". They are just a collection of comics in my eyes. The better the condition...then better for me...

Jim

I have yet to own a pedigree book. If I did, I probably wouldn't read it. No good can come of it. All that can happen is me damage it. The books are common enough, so why not just read a low grade copy?

Well in my case I don't treat the comics as "trophies". They are just a collection of comics in my eyes. The better the condition...then better for me...

Jim

I just don't see the logic in risking a high dollar book when there are so many low dollar copies of the same book to read. confused-smiley-013.gif Seems like a matter closer to fiscal responsibility than trophy books.

Just wash your hands with soap and water, and dry them thouroughly.

Place the book careflully in the middle of an oversize large hardback book with a small pillow or block under each end - this supports the spine and keeps you from overextending the pages if the book is new or has been rarely opened.

That's how I've read every book in my collection for the past 25 years. No damage will come to the book if you're careful.

I know the above procedure probably seems like the ultimate in anal retentive activity - all I can say is yup - and that about sums up the whole idea of comic collecting.

confused-smiley-013.gif

i read new books, collect old ones. =)

Then you're missing out on some good reading...

Jim

Actually, some of the best reading there is!!!! yay.gif

Just wash your hands with soap and water, and dry them thouroughly.

Place the book careflully in the middle of an oversize large hardback book with a small pillow or block under each end - this supports the spine and keeps you from overextending the pages if the book is new or has been rarely opened.

That's how I've read every book in my collection for the past 25 years. No damage will come to the book if you're careful.

I know the above procedure probably seems like the ultimate in anal retentive activity - all I can say is yup - and that about sums up the whole idea of comic collecting.

confused-smiley-013.gif

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Bump

Thats how i read mine...placed in an opened encyclopedia ect...clean hands... ADVICE!!: keep any pets/away...my german shepard stepped on my justice league #1 foreheadslap.gif

Hey Joe, good point about CGC handling them/still getting a 10.0, are you or anyone aware of what precautions CGC actually takes when grading big $$$ books?

Thats how i read mine...placed in an opened encyclopedia ect...clean hands... ADVICE!!: keep any pets/away...my german shepard stepped on my justice league #1 foreheadslap.gif

Little kids too - they just don't understand...,

foreheadslap.gif

i read new books, collect old ones. =)

Then you're missing out on some good reading...

Jim

For me, the old stuff doesn't really stand up well. None of it is as good a read as something like Runaways, Ultimates, Ennis' Punisher, Fables or Goon. I'm still quite behind on my modern reading as it is. That makes it hard for me to try and squeeze in the few Silver and Bronze books that I'd find worth reading.

I`ve read every raw pedigree that I`ve ever owned, and got 9.6s and 9.8s on some of them after submitting them to CGC. If you know what you`re doing, reading a HG book isn`t a problem or dangerous. confused-smiley-013.gif