• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs PGX grading

106 posts in this topic

There is something really good about PGX that many of you don't realize. I personally haven't used them yet and only sent out my first box to CGC yesterday, so I don't have any first hand knowledge of either company. But competition keeps other companies in line. Take for instance Intel, without AMD, Intel would charge much more per CPU than now and you would probably only be using a 1GHz today. Look at Microsoft now, no real competition, so they than make any buggy OS software without worry and still be one of the biggest companies in the world, and they can make you pay $100-250 per software and you can use it on only one computer (even if you have 4 in your home).

So with that, I will be sending out my next box to PGX to compare the two first hand. If there was only CGC, then when they double their rates, just because they want to increase their profits by a huge margin, you couldn't go anywhere else.

I used to make this same argument. I still think that competition for CGC is important, but PGX is not real competition. They offer a vastly inferior level of certification (highly questionable restoration check and questionable expertise on some of the more obscure books) but with a better plastic holder than CGC offers. Since the plastic holder isn't the "value" that I'm supposedly paying for, I'd rather just go with CGC when I need certification services.

I don't trust either company and will not submit books to either.

PGX has shadiness galore surrounding it. CGC is complicit in shifting grading standards to suit their needs and influencing changes to publications and individuals who hold a large amount of influence on the market.

Third party grading is a sham as it stands now. Just look at the Manufacturing Gold thread to see how much CGC can go to changing definitions. Heck restoration almost doesn't exist any more.

There was a time that I believed that third party grading had had some positive influences on the market but I really have very hard time convincing myself of that now. I have seen enough "mistakes" by both companies to say that raw or slabbed it is buyer beware.

Third party grading is a sham as it stands now. Just look at the Manufacturing Gold thread to see how much CGC can go to changing definitions. Heck restoration almost doesn't exist any more.

solvent cleaning

aqueous cleaning

infilling/pieces added

inpainting/color touch

resizing

reglossing

tear seals

spine/centerfold reinforcement

bleaching

Yep, restoration almost doesn't exist anymore! screwy.gif

There is something really good about PGX that many of you don't realize.

Are you sure? Because this point ("competition is good for the industry") gets made every single time PGX gets brought up as part of this board's monthly cycle.

The only thing that changes is the example that someone uses. You're using AMD and Intel; I believe last time it was McDonald's and Burger King and the time before that it was Coke and Pepsi, and before that it was Wal-Mart and Target, and then it was...