• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*SIGH* another day, another scammer

66 posts in this topic

Below is my e-mail to him:

Hello,

I am very intrested in all your current comic listings and would like to bid. Would it be possible for you to e-mail me

additional scans of the comics at 300dpi or digital camera pics? I am requesting these as I would like more detail of the condition since that is the main factor in a comics value.

Thanks Frank

So if he's trolling the forum.....SOL else I'll post the reply if he sends one.

Man do I ever need to get a life. frown.gif

Hey, all you Photoshop geeks might be able to answer a question for me if you've got a sec -- what's the best/quickest way to create thumbnail images of a large number of comic cover scans? I only have an old copy of Photoshop v5.5.

For instance, you go to MHC and you see a small "thumbnail" image, and then a link to a medium and a large scan. How can a person efficiently create those other sized images? I can open a scan in Photoshop and then resize the image and save that as a new file. Seems tiresome to do that for more than a couple of scans though.

Is there someway to point Photoshop towards a folder full of images and have it create a separate thumbnail jpg file of each of them?

yes--and its fantastic! Its called batch. In Photoshop 7 its in the file menu under Automate.

Ive only used it twice, but heres basically how it works. You put all your scans you want to perform the EXACT same functions to in a folder. Choose one sample. Go to batch command and you have it "record" each step you want to do to each scan...up to saving them however you want to.

Then point the batch command to that folder and let it go. I'm being vague on the specific steps cause I think its slightly different in 5.0 6.0 and 7.0. One issue you must be aware of: ALL these scans MUST be identical in size and resolution if you are going to be changing their sizes and resolution, otherwise, the files will turn out different from each other.

Try it. Its awesome to watch it fly through the tedious steps like opening and saving each and every darn file!

Hi I got the scans - thanks supapimp

In my opinion he has swiped them and tried to clean them up. There is no way these 3 scans were scanned at the same time or by the same person.

Take a look, its ridiculous to think this guy supplied these scans as proof he has the books, in fact I'd expect these 3 scans to be supplied if I didn't want to sell the books.

There is no way, after seeing these scans, that this guy has these books....

They are all to in-consistant with each other and its blatant that he has swiped and hacked them up in Photoshop

backofspiderman129.jpgbackofxmen4.jpggiantsizexmen.jpg

There is no way, after seeing these scans, that this guy has these books....

They are all to in-consistant with each other and its blatant that he has swiped and hacked them up in Photoshop

I agree. The back cover on the X-men 4 looks to have been taken on a legal-sized scanner, and this seller didn't even bother cropping it as he did with every other scan.

The other thought that ran through my mind; is that someone running a bogus (scammer) auction can simply ask another seller who is selling the same book to supply a scan for any email requests the scammer may recieve. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

His reply:

Hi

I have the scans you wanted enclosed. I dont have a digital camera but I have a pretty good scanner, The giant sive x-men is in the bag in the scan because when i was cropping the white backround out I accidentally kept cutting off the edges. I had no problems with the others. Hope they help.

jake

It's a scam.The background color for two of the books are different so they can't be from the same scanner. The best part is when I zoomed in on the GS X 1 I noticed the corner notches from the CGC case! "In a bag" my arse. What a dork. makepoint.gif

Its obvious its a scam. think about it... the cover shots are perfect scans, so why the dumpy old back cover scans, it screamed fake the second I clicked on it...

some one should smack a fake eBay ID bid on those puppies and leave the punk with soem fees to pay, or rather not pay, cuz he won't

some one should smack a fake eBay ID bid on those puppies and leave the punk with soem fees to pay, or rather not pay, cuz he won't

Bidders have been warned. Anyone that wins it now deserves to get screwed.

Nice work! there should be some kind of web page set up to alert bidders.. if someone wants to compile the info, I can host the page on my server.. in future we can send the link to bidders so they don;t get screwed...

the page can contain all the info we know on current scammers...

thoughts?

Actually...they deserve to get screwed even without the warning! Stupid people or people hoping to make the big score deserve what they get! insane.gif