• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the CGC grade, Action Comics #23

22 posts in this topic

hey guys, just got this back from CGC, and I've always wanted to post one of these "guess the CGC grade" posts, so here's front and back cover scans, looks fairly nice, but the book has a 6 1/2 inch spine tear from the bottom all the way up to just below the "A" in Action, and also a 1 1/4 tear at the top, only 2 inches of the spine is not torn and the cover is firmly attached at the top staple, no rust, no tape, no missing pieces/pages, and no resto. I'll post the CGC grade tomorrow morning, have fun.

oh, that little price sticker on the back cover is on the Mylar, not the book, thanks,

almost forgot, OVER 1,000 POSTS !!!!!! yay.gif

ActionComics23-31-1.jpg

ActionComics23backcover2.jpg

Hi Alton!

Well, great book as you already know. The spine issue makes me think 2.0, but with the GA curve, I'll say 2.5 on this one.

Just curious, why did you have the book slabbed. Planning to sell?

why did you have the book slabbed. Planning to sell?

well, mainly for resto check, I've seen a few #23's that have slight ct in the black area, also too, I'd like to upgrade someday, and then I'd be selling this one, so having it slabbed would help when I sell it, of course, upgrading may take awhile at the current prices, but I remain hopeful.. smile.gif

While the book has great eye-appeal for a low grade copy, I can't see grading it above a 1.8, it seems dangerously close to being a detached front cover book. Value-wise I could see someone paying as much as they might for a more beat looking 2.5 due to the eye-appeal. Would the value of this copy be hurt if the spine were professionally sealed?

I have not submitted any of the few Golden I have to CGC so I am not certain how their "Gold Bump" would help this book.

I would grade it as a very nice looking 2.0 (To bad about the cover splits)

Still an excellent book in this collectors opinion

To bad about the cover splits

don't feel to bad, if it weren't for the spine splits, I wouldn't have been able to afford it, tongue.gif

in fact, that's why I bought it, I figured it was a nice looking book, for the price of a lower grade book..

don't feel to bad, if it weren't for the spine splits, I wouldn't have been able to afford it, tongue.gif

in fact, that's why I bought it, I figured it was a nice looking book, for the price of a lower grade book..

After I wrote the 2 bad. I figured that was a way for you to get a nice looking 23. acclaim.gif

Thats the only way I have been able to ever buy an Action under 50 smile.gif

After I wrote the 2 bad. I figured that was a way for you to get a nice looking 23. acclaim.gif

Thats the only way I have been able to ever buy an Action under 50 smile.gif

exactly, the Action #23 6.5 on Comiclink just sold for $4,100, I'd like to find a nice 4.0 copy someday.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

for those who haven't guessed yet, don't click here Action #23 CGC grade

CGC did a fantastic job of fitting the innner well to the exact size of the book, and making sure the front cover lines up, so that it presents well in the case.

so poo poo the low grade if you must, but she's unrestored, and she's all mine cloud9.gif ... uh, that is until I upgrade. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif