• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need your opinions!! Especially from seasoned eBay Sellers!!

22 posts in this topic

Hey Guys, I'm in a huge dilemma. Like many of you, I also sell to help finance and buy books. Now, I don't need to sell my FF#1 but I'm bored when I'm not buying and have the thrill of the hunt. I recently listed my Fantastic Four #1 with a high starting price as I wanted to protect my investment. Now I'm considering to relist the book on eBay with no reserve and a starting bid of .12 cents. Do you think this is crazy screwy.gif and that I'd loose my shirt on this deal ?? confused-smiley-013.gif I'm scared to try it but I also realize that the risk vs reward is something that has to be chanced to get ahead once in a while. acclaim.gif Please give me your serious, honest opinions. Thanks so much. thumbsup2.gif

Hey Guys, I'm in a huge dilemma. Like many of you, I also sell to help finance and buy books. Now, I don't need to sell my FF#1 but I'm bored when I'm not buying and have the thrill of the hunt. I recently listed my Fantastic Four #1 with a high starting price as I wanted to protect my investment. Now I'm considering to relist the book on eBay with no reserve and a starting bid of .12 cents. Do you think this is crazy screwy.gif and that I'd loose my shirt on this deal ?? confused-smiley-013.gif I'm scared to try it but I also realize that the risk vs reward is something that has to be chanced to get ahead once in a while. acclaim.gif Please give me your serious, honest opinions. Thanks so much. thumbsup2.gif

I would pay at least $0.15!!! gossip.gif27_laughing.gif

Would entirely depend on how much you paid. Now, if you paid $0.10 when it came out, you'll make money on it no matter what price it sells for! But if you paid $15,000 for it, foreheadslap.gif

Why not at least set a minimum reasonable reserve so you make sure you don't completely lose your shirt.

What is the grade?

if you're afraid of losing your shirt then put a reserve on it, if not let it ride at 12 cents. Depends on the level of risk you're comfortable with and the price you paid.

I have never lost money on a book when I started the listing at .99 cents. I have had books that were worth $100 go for over $200 if I started the auction low with no reserve. It's a gamble but allot of the bigger sellers do it that way and always seem to get record prices on their auctions. If you start it too high no one will bid. If you do not have great feedback or lots of feedback maybe you can consign it to someone that does.

Just a few thoughts.

I would pay at least $0.15!!! gossip.gif27_laughing.gif

Would entirely depend on how much you paid. Now, if you paid $0.10 when it came out, you'll make money on it no matter what price it sells for! But if you paid $15,000 for it, foreheadslap.gif

Why not at least set a minimum reasonable reserve so you make sure you don't completely lose your shirt.

What is the grade?

Hi Mark,

The book is a "raw" copy with slight resto in 9.0 IMHO. I actually bought from Adam (filter81), awesome guy who've I've talked to numerous times ever since buying many things from him. I think my low feedback of 32 on eBay scares people even though it is 100% but it's mainly because of me being the buyer. I've also seen where alleged crooks of the industry (ie. comic keys) sell with no reserve and his slight resto Fantastic Four sold for $8,300 USD a month or two ago on eBay. I think I might take a chance. I love the book... but I'm never satisfied, I buy.. get bored... then want to repeat the process... something is wrong with me insane.gif27_laughing.gif

Obviously, you are a risk taker and a thrill seeker. Would it be exciting to watch as your FF #1 auction goes from .12 to several thousand dollars? Of course it would. Would you be depressed if in the end your book only sold for $2500-4000? Absolutely.

At a minimum, this is one you probably want to put a reserve on because it's a pretty big ticket item and you don't have enough feedback as a seller yet to inspire a lot of confidence in potential buyers IMO. It would be fun to watch and I'm sure you would definitely have a couple bidders from these boards which would help. But in the end, I don't think it would be a good idea to take such a big risk.

My 2 pennies worth.

a book like that should be graded, I wouldn't try to sell it raw

Heed these words if your main goal is maximum return.

Ze-

I agree, in large part because no one believes it is that high a grade so most are valuing it as one or two grades lower and restored. If it comes back as what you say it is, you will end up doing quite well.

a book like that should be graded, I wouldn't try to sell it raw

Heed these words if your main goal is maximum return.

Ze-

I agree, in large part because no one believes it is that high a grade so most are valuing it as one or two grades lower and restored. If it comes back as what you say it is, you will end up doing quite well.

Exactly, plus people may get the impression that the book has even more restoration than you're letting on, as well as whether it's amateur vs. professional restoration work.

send it to pgx, get an unrestored label, and multiply your investment by a factor of ten.

seriously, though, with a book like that, I would try pedigree or comic link first.

If you know the book is going to come back restored, and you want it slabbed just to add a 3rd party opinion as to the grade and extent of resto, PGX might be a viable option.

PGX would be a hell of a lot less expensive and I'm betting the price realized wouldn't be that much different from a CGC PLOD.