• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Jungle Comics 77

15 posts in this topic

First the scans:

jungle77.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

jungle77b.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Then the problem:

jungletear.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

There is the tear along the the right side, but that is a production error. I just don't know what to make of the semi-circle tear at the spine. There is no crease at the spine and the tear also goes through the first four pages. Weird production flaw? confused-smiley-013.gif Anyhow, what would you grade the book with and without the tear and as a collector what do you do when presented with such a book? Pay only the technical grade price, or pay a little higher because of the overall nice grade of the book? Thanks in advance.

The one on the right does go all the way through, but it is a production flaw and a lot of collectors and CGC will go easy or completely discount the problem.

yeah def cant keep up w/all the production flaws.. confused-smiley-013.gif

the tears pretty nasty though so...7.0ish

i should just leave this one 4 someone else to take a stab at confused-smiley-013.gif

Until I can see a much larger/better scan and with the description you gave...The Grading Bastiche says....4.5. Productions errors still count in the Grading Bastiche's book. On a more positive note, I wouldn't mind having that particular book in the grade you have yours in. So, you should be very, very happy with it. grin.gif

Way too nice for a 4.5 - even if those flaws were not production flaws. Technical grade - maybe only around a 6.0 - but might value it slightly higher - though the dull colors (common on FH books, I know) hold it back some in the eye-appeal department.

The Grading Bastiche ups his original grade (based on larger scan) to 5.5. And yes, indeed it is a fine example of a book with very good cover appeal but the tears still get marked down. What's the page quality like on this book, by the way?

If you look in the Gerber Guide the logo background, native shorts and the word "blood" should all be red, not orange.

Sweet copy, and and lack of strong reds is frequent enough in FH books that I don't think your copy has "faded" - it likely has always lacked strong reds, but it is an eye-appeal factor when considering value in excess of technical grade(for me anyway).

great book! love the cover

I'm in F+ territory, but I can tell you I've seen major dealers with similarly damaged, yet sharp books calling them VF+. As an investment, I'd only want to buy it for the technical grade price, but as a collector I often pay a bit more than that for books like this that are hard to find.

I'm not sure Jungle books qualify as hard to find, though, do they?

If you look in the Gerber Guide the logo background, native shorts and the word "blood" should all be red, not orange.

Don't have a Gerber guide (yet), but there is a Fair copy on eBay right now and I see what you mean about the reds. I'm feeling pretty good though since the Fa copy is going for about a third of what I paid for this one. As far as being hard to find though they aren't as difficult as say some of the GGA Rangers or Wings from Fiction House, but not terribly easy either in nice shape.