• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just killed the GPA average

29 posts in this topic

I bought a book a couple of weeks ago that is slabbed 9.6 and ended up getting it for LESS THAN HALF of the GPA average!

Why is that?

This is no modern BTW, in all fairness, it's a Savage Sword of Conan MAGAZINE annual #1. 1975 (The only annual from that run). If you check the census you'll see my purchase was the last purchase.

Mags are always tough in high grades but for some reason I managed to get it extremely cheap.

From a certain perspective I kinda see GPA as being a slight hinderence for a book such as this. Had I of bought it at a con or locally I wouldn't have destroyed the average!

I guess I'm happy that I have it cause it was one of the few that I still need for that run but at the same time since it's slabbed it is totally out of place in my SSOC collection as none of the others are slabbed.

What do I do with it?

Well.... not only this issue, but I killed the average on Vampirella #12 also. I didn't get the low on it, but my purchase was the lowest it's been since the low!

*sigh*

I guess if anyone wants to get good deals on slabbed books just get me bidding on them and I'll curse them! sorry.gif

Don't worry.. there's people like me who help raise the GPA average by paying multiple over highest sale prices for certain books. So it all evens out!!

Welcome to the club! Hopefully we have the same collecting interests so when it comes time to sell, we can unload them on each other.

Don't worry.. there's people like me who help raise the GPA average by paying multiple over highest sale prices for certain books. So it all evens out!!

Welcome to the club! Hopefully we have the same collecting interests so when it comes time to sell, we can unload them on each other.

sign-funnypost.gif sounds good...it'll help "pull the wool" over my wife's eyes thinking that I'm making out like a king in this hobby!! ohhh.. if she only knew...

That is what i have been contending all along. Ebay FMV prices have languished because of the rampant fruad on ebay and for other reasons. Often when i try to sell a book I get someone writing that "but the last GP is such and such" (let's say 25% cheaper) and i say "well, i know that sale, and it was an ebay sale, and the book had inferior PQ or QP, and the book fetches such and such at a con" or whatever, but it always sounds like you're making excuses. And on big $$ books that 25% can be massive! PQ, and where the sale took place would be a fantastic

bit of info for George at GP to work in to make the numbers more "real".

JMHO.

R.

I hear you, but as I've said time and time again, there is no specific venue or PQ/QP details that skew data - record prices (and below average/median prices) are paid for books sold throughout all the venues we track, and that goes for page quality and quality of production.

That is what i have been contending all along. Ebay FMV prices have languished because of the rampant fruad on ebay and for other reasons. Often when i try to sell a book I get someone writing that "but the last GP is such and such" (let's say 25% cheaper) and i say "well, i know that sale, and it was an ebay sale, and the book had inferior PQ or QP, and the book fetches such and such at a con" or whatever, but it always sounds like you're making excuses. And on big $$ books that 25% can be massive! PQ, and where the sale took place would be a fantastic

JMHO.

R.

I concur... this hobby caters to all enthusiats, just not all pocket books. Being a die-hard for certain books will make my throw out the analysis numbers at times and I ask my self 3 questions. #1. How badly do I want the book #2 When will it be available in this grade at the price I'm willing to pay again? #3 When my wife finds out, will I still get some?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Asked in no order of importance. stooges.gif

I hear you, but as I've said time and time again, there is no specific venue or PQ/QP details that skew data - record prices (and below average/median prices) are paid for books sold throughout all the venues we track, and that goes for page quality and quality of production.

I understand that George and you would know better. Possibly over all there is no difference. But i have noticed in the books i deal with that there is. I also understand it is a minute fraction of what goes on out there as I primarily deal with SA Marvels. You guys do provide an invaluable service, and i use it daily, but It would still be great to see more detailed sales info.

Keep up the great work!

Roy.

JMHO.

R.

I concur... this hobby caters to all enthusiats, just not all pocket books. Being a die-hard for certain books will make my throw out the analysis numbers at times and I ask my self 3 questions. #1. How badly do I want the book #2 When will it be available in this grade at the price I'm willing to pay again? #3 When my wife finds out, will I still get some?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Asked in no order of importance. stooges.gif

Dude, when i bought my JIM #89 8.5 from Burntboy's collection I paid almost 3 times GPA. When i bought my DD #7 9.2 I paid 2 times GPA. I totally agree. FMV is meaningless when you really want something.

thumbsup2.gif

Dude, when i bought my JIM #89 8.5 from Burntboy's collection I paid almost 3 times GPA. When i bought my DD #7 9.2 I paid 2 times GPA. I totally agree. FMV is meaningless when you really want something.

thumbsup2.gif

If no one ever paid higher than the GPA average, then the GPA average would never increase.

And yet there are many here who view paying above the GPA average as some kind of mortal sin or sign of severe mental retardation.

thumbsup2.gif

If no one ever paid higher than the GPA average, then the GPA average would never increase.

And yet there are many here who view paying above the GPA average as some kind of mortal sin or sign of severe mental retardation.

You didn't pay a lot for those silly DC's did you? insane.gif

Interesting posts guys.

I do wish that GPA had a larger network of reported sales rather than primarily eBay and Heritage.

I think Heritages numbers are screwy because you have to factor in buyers premium

They do use various dealers as well. I know Pedigree Comics reports sales to them as do a few others. I also know that some Private sales are reported from trusted sources.

I think Heritages numbers are screwy because you have to factor in buyers premium

Why? That's the total amount paid. Any rational bidder on Heritage factors the BP into his bid price (they take what they're willing to pay and divide by 1.195, and that's the bid price they enter).