• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Current Amazing Spider-Man, are Marvel cashing in on Hulk hype?

25 posts in this topic

Is anyone else here reading the current story arc on ASM?

Does it strike anyone else that the new JMS villain is just a junior version of the Hulk?

I must say that I haven't been to impressed with the new characters created in the title since Morlon (who I liked). Am I alone in this or does anyone else feel the same?

Yeh, I was going to get to that part. I thought it was an alright story, fairly original with the exception of the Gamma Radiation and Green. tongue.gif

Not my favorite story arc, but it's not real bad. I think the worst one was that one a few issues back that had absolutely nothing happen in it. Just a bunch of talking. frown.gif

Brian

Whether they're cashing in on the Hulk or not - I liked the story - JMS is one of my favorite writers -- every since he did Babylon 5. I love the current arcs in ASM . This hulking thing Spidey's battling is 6 dead gangsters from the 50's combined into one Hulk-like being. Much different from the Hulk - even though he's green - after all - it was gamma radiation that caused the problem. sumo.gif

I do actually like the story arc, the whole 'ethics' battle Spidey is having about whether to accept protection money to bodyguard a gangster is very interesting. Some of the dialog is also very amusing.

Don't get me wrong, I like what JMS is doing with Spider-Man overall, I just think the strength of his new Super-Villains is a little disapointing lately.

I've liked the story arc as well. I'll agree that the villain is pretty similar in origin to the Hulk, but the fact he's a new villain has been refreshing. The mob flavor of the story has been good as well - I love wise guy stories!

Haven't read the current arc because I don't read them until they're done, but I haven't liked Morlun or Spider-Wasp. Do like Ezekiel though.

I like Ezekiel also and am interested to find out more about his origin and how he ties in to Spidey. I though that Morlun was a pretty good villain, and I liked the idea of him being a twist on the vampire thing. Hope to see him return at some point.

My vote for the lamest villain created by JMS so far though has to go to the 'new' techno version of Doctor Octopus. Very weak.

rantpost.gif

I've been catching up on my reading this weekend...just read the latest ASM. Somebody has to say it - this book has not been good for a long time. The first 6 or 9 months of JMS's run was excellent...I liked the Morlun/Ezekiel storyline, the 9/11 issue and Aunt May discovering Spidey's identity. Since then, the book has deteriorated significantly. Too many snide "cutesy" jokes (Lobster-Man, Spidey's webshooters posing as Aunt May's gynecological devices, the cross-dressing dude Peter runs into scaling MJ's LA apartment building, etc.), a lot of lame villains (that Wasp thing that goes on TV in human form to proclaim she and Spidey had a passionate love affair? That horrible Doc Ock knockoff? That shadow thing kidnapping children and now this Frankenstein/Hulk thing???), and now bringing MJ back into the picture with a total overkill of humor and cutesiness (for lack of a better term).

Also, JRJR's artwork is simply HORRIBLE. I actually thought the latest issue was one of the better written issues in a long time (the irritating humor overkill was kept to a bare minimum), but the art totally detracted from it. Pete & MJ finally get intimate again, which should have been a very tender moment, but when the characters are drawn like bug-eyed extraterrestrials with all the detail of a typical Sunday morning comic strip, it totally leaves me cold. If you disagree with me, just imagine if those classic 1960s-1980s ASMs had been drawn in this style and think how much less appealing those stories would have been...picture how lame the Punisher would have looked like in ASM #129 if JRJR had drawn him in his current style or how much less of an impact ASM #121-122 would have had if Gwen's lifeless body was drawn with JRJR's minimalist detailing and weird anatomical proportions. 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

Gene

minimalist detailing and weird anatomical proportions.

Gene, normally I stand up for Romita Jr's arwork as I am a long term fan, but I actually agree with you here.

His artwork does seem to be taking a downward turn, and is it just me or is Spider-Man losing a lot of weight lately?

I have the feeling that Romita Jr. is trying to fall in line with what Mark Bagely is doing on Ultimate Spider-Man and draw the web-spinner in a much more Dikoesque way. Unfortunately Romita Jr's strength lies in a style much more like his fathers, and his apeing of the classic Ditko Spidey is just not working IMHO.

I don't read them until they're done, but I haven't liked Morlun or Spider-Wasp. Do like Ezekiel though.

Just finished reading the latest issue and Ezekiel is back, now sporting a beard. He is now hanging off walls giving Spidey sage advice, its seems JMS is billing him as Merlin to Spider-Man's Arthur...

An interesting turn of events. Anyone else think they might turn out to be related?

Anyone else think they might turn out to be related?

What if Ezekiel was the real Peter's father ?

I can imagine Peter to be a mutant and the spider's bite just a factor that accelerated the development of his power.

Anyone else think they might turn out to be related?

What if Ezekiel was the real Peter's father ?

I can imagine Peter to be a mutant and the spider's bite just a factor that accelerated the development of his power.

Interesting thought. But I'm not sure they would want to revist the whole "Mommy and Daddy are still alive" storyline.