• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page Quality Change ?

37 posts in this topic

This is interesting ...

The Kansas City copy of Captain America Comics #1 with CREAM TO OFF-WHITE pages sold for $96,686.00 on January 18, 2006.

It is again for sale. Same serial number, new label. This time it has OFF-WHITE pages. Asking price is $134,000.00.

CAC #1 (9.0) CREAM TO OFF-WHITE Pages (Kansas City)

CAC #1(9.0) OFF-WHITE Pages (Kansas City)

cac_1.jpg

cac_1_new.jpg

Isn't it pretty much accepted that CGC was harder on page quality early on, and now they appear to be retroactively changing to a slightly different standard upon resubmission?

Cream

Off White

White

Who can challenge on a slabbed book?

You can have CGC do a page quality check anytime you like. Doug Schmell proved that. I have also had it done, albeit in a little different fashion.

I have a Cap 111 9.4 Pac Coast OW/W that I got at Baltimore. I did not like how the book moved around in the slab so I had them do a re-holder. At the urging of BronzeBruce, I had them do a pq check. I wouldnt have done it at any other time but I figured wtf and had them do it.

Guess what? Pages came back OW/W just as they were before.

Anyone can have it done, they just dont advertise it.

Arex

I have a Cap 111 9.4 Pac Coast OW/W that I got at Baltimore. I did not like how the book moved around in the slab so I had them do a re-holder. At the urging of BronzeBruce, I had them do a pq check. I wouldnt have done it at any other time but I figured wtf and had them do it.

Did the serial numbers change?

I thought you were going to try to keep all of these in one thread for ease of reference?

Well, I did consider it. But I couldn't tell if there was manipulation. Didn't want to muddy the water.

Should it be moved? If it better serves information sharing/consolidation, I'll do it. Let me know what you all think.

No, not that I am aware of. Now, I havent checked it against the serial #'s in my registry set to see if it changed tbh.

From what I was told, the #'s do not change.

No, not that I am aware of. Now, I havent checked it against the serial #'s in my registry set to see if it changed tbh.

What were you told?

What were you told?

I was told the Submission # does not change as it was not a regrade.

Arex

What were you told?

Arex

makepoint.gif I got that much. What else were you told with regard to this service? Or did you not ask any more questions?

What were you told?

Arex

makepoint.gif I got that much. What else were you told with regard to this service? Or did you not ask any more questions?

Careful with that hammer, Eugene (its a play on a Pink Floyd song)

gotcha now foreheadslap.gif

All I asked them was that I would like a reholder service. I then asked if I could have a page quality review. Scott (CGC worker) said sure, no problem. I also asked if there was a charge for it on top of the re-holder. No was the answer.

Other than that, it was just "when can I expect to have it back" and filling out paper work.

flowerred.gif

i don't see that as a big shift. Page quality, like grading itself is to some degree subjective, especially in the cream/off-white range, after all, cream is an off-white.

In of itself, perhaps that statement would be true. Unfortunately, when comprised with ALL the other "suspecious" activity regarding this hobby, and said participants...the PQ upgrades, are much more problematic, personally confused-smiley-013.gif

You can get page upgrades as well as downgrades on resubs. The GL 76 I sent in recently went from ow/w to white. I sent in an early Thor and went from ow/w to ow -- and the grade stayed the same on both. So... I think there is a lot of subjectivity in it.

What were you told?

Arex

Careful with that hammer, Eugene (its a play on a Pink Floyd song)

gotcha now foreheadslap.gif

All I asked them was that I would like a reholder service. I then asked if I could have a page quality review. Scott (CGC worker) said sure, no problem. I also asked if there was a charge for it on top of the re-holder. No was the answer.

Other than that, it was just "when can I expect to have it back" and filling out paper work.

flowerred.gif

So when did the conversation about any potential serial number changes occur?