• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page Quality Change ?

37 posts in this topic

i don't see that as a big shift. Page quality, like grading itself is to some degree subjective, especially in the cream/off-white range, after all, cream is an off-white.

In of itself, perhaps that statement would be true. Unfortunately, when comprised with ALL the other "suspecious" activity regarding this hobby, and said participants...the PQ upgrades, are much more problematic, personally confused-smiley-013.gif

Let's not be silly here. When you consider that W, OW/W, OW, and C/OW are 4 grades of paper quality, yet there are many possibilities in the continuum of what page quality really is, it is not at all hard to envision that books graded years apart will sometimes score differences in page quality. Indeed, of the 3 re-grades I had done recently in B'more, 2 came back with better page quality ratings than they had previously. I had long-ago cracked the books out of their slabs, and in looking at the interiors thought the initial ratings may have been a bit harsh.

Books that get numerical upgrades after being worked on are a whole different matter...

I have a Cap 111 9.4 Pac Coast OW/W that I got at Baltimore. I did not like how the book moved around in the slab so I had them do a re-holder. At the urging of BronzeBruce, I had them do a pq check. I wouldnt have done it at any other time but I figured wtf and had them do it.

Guess what? Pages came back OW/W just as they were before.

Did the serial numbers change?

No, not that I am aware of. Now, I havent checked it against the serial #'s in my registry set to see if it changed tbh.

From what I was told, the #'s do not change.

What were you told?

I was told the Submission # does not change as it was not a regrade.

Arex

makepoint.gif I got that much. What else were you told with regard to this service? Or did you not ask any more questions?

Careful with that hammer, Eugene (its a play on a Pink Floyd song)

gotcha now foreheadslap.gif

All I asked them was that I would like a reholder service. I then asked if I could have a page quality review. Scott (CGC worker) said sure, no problem. I also asked if there was a charge for it on top of the re-holder. No was the answer.

Other than that, it was just "when can I expect to have it back" and filling out paper work.

flowerred.gif

Not to mention the lighting they use now is alot better.

Add that into the mix with whatever other dealer incentives, money under the table scenarios you wish to entertain. If 100 board members looked at the book and graded the PQ, how many would say C/OW versus just OW

If it went from C/OW to OW/W, then I would entertain any theory tossed about as plausible

It is just not all that great a jump to warrant lengthy discussion if you ask me. Was a nice catch though, and should be added to the file.

BTW , Who has the file ?

Ze-

I have a Cap 111 9.4 Pac Coast OW/W that I got at Baltimore. I did not like how the book moved around in the slab so I had them do a re-holder. At the urging of BronzeBruce, I had them do a pq check. I wouldnt have done it at any other time but I figured wtf and had them do it.

Guess what? Pages came back OW/W just as they were before.

Did the serial numbers change?

No, not that I am aware of. Now, I havent checked it against the serial #'s in my registry set to see if it changed tbh.

From what I was told, the #'s do not change.

What were you told?

I was told the Submission # does not change as it was not a regrade.

Arex

makepoint.gif I got that much. What else were you told with regard to this service? Or did you not ask any more questions?

Careful with that hammer, Eugene (its a play on a Pink Floyd song)

gotcha now foreheadslap.gif

All I asked them was that I would like a reholder service. I then asked if I could have a page quality review. Scott (CGC worker) said sure, no problem. I also asked if there was a charge for it on top of the re-holder. No was the answer.

Other than that, it was just "when can I expect to have it back" and filling out paper work.

flowerred.gif

So when did the conversation about any potential serial number changes occur?

During that exchange when I asked about price and turn around time.

BTW, another interest fact regarding this book...

The PQ was changed 9 working days after the January 18, 2006 auction. The book's new grade date is January 31, 2006.

Not sure I follow the significance of this point? The book is on Bill Hughes site and he is a big time collector/dealer who regularily buys from Heritage. Maybe he just (or whomever is the owner) wanted to reholder it so it have a new label? Maybe the slabb had a crack on it? How is the PQ of CR/OW to OW going to change the price tag of $134,000? The book sold on Heritage for just under $97,000 in January of 2006. Looks better with a new label if you ask me.

BTW, another interesting fact regarding this book...

The PQ was changed 9 working days after the January 18, 2006 auction. The book's new grade date is January 31, 2006.

Not sure I follow the significance of this point? The book is on Bill Hughes site and he is a big time collector/dealer who regularily buys from Heritage. Maybe he just (or whomever is the owner) wanted to reholder it so it have a new label? Maybe the slabb had a crack on it? How is the PQ of CR/OW to OW going to change the price tag of $134,000? The book sold on Heritage for just under $97,000 in January of 2006. Looks better with a new label if you ask me.

Just found it to be interesting, that's all. Significant? Well I suppose that's up to individual interpretation.

Does it look better in a new label? Maybe. To me, it looked just fine the way it was.

Honestly, with a high-dollar book like that, I'd have trouble sleeping at night knowing it was going to be cracked, opened, and handled raw by several individuals again. That's just asking for trouble. But then again, I don't have the disposable income the owner of that book must have. I'm sure s/he sleeps just fine.

man i can't wait till the sheit hit's the fan in this hobby and i can start buying key issues again

for real prices.

So, people are paying imaginary prices with imaginary money? How are the prices not real?

Oh, nevermind, im feeding the trolls again.

man i can't wait till the sheit hit's the fan in this hobby and i can start buying key issues again

for real prices.

i just don't understand why my original statement was so bad. all i'm saying is i think the prices for some comics or i should say comics in general are to high. i feel that they are high do to cgc (for varios reasons). i think that cgc has many un fixable flaws. these flaws i think are one day going to blow up in the hobbys face. people in turn will be unwilling to pay such high prices any longer. i will be happy and buy more books. will this ever happen? probably not.

but it does feel that way after all i read on these boards. i must admit
I cant really comment on past trends. Ive only been collecting for 4 years or so.

Does CGC have flaws? Sure. Are they bad? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif, sometimes it sure seems that they are. Do I think on the whole they are what they advertise themselves to be, yes.

Are prices to high 893scratchchin-thumb.gif, again, I dunno. But I will say that in the area that I collect, there has seemed to be a softening of prices. Fine by me! Means I can buy more books on my budget each month.

but it does feel that way after all i read on these boards. i must admit

What you read on these boards is what people write...like you, silly boy. yeahok.gif

Prices are directly related to supply and demand. I'll pay 3 times the fair market value for a CGC book if i really want it. That could be 10 times guide or whatever.

Point is there will always be people that are willing to pay more than the next guy. It's how many next guys that will determine how much. Leave a good taste in people's mouths about the hobby and it will grow. Paint it black and you leave no reason for anyone to pursue it.

Do i want a JIM #83 in 9.4? Yes. Am i ok that it costs me $50,000 + to own one? Yes. Can i afford it now or ever? No. That is the way of the world. There are somethings that i will never be able to own, but the fact that it is there keeps me moving forward. I can accept that it is unattainable but still move toward it. That is part of the fun. The pursuit.

Do I make sense?

R.

BTW, who are you?