• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sgt. Rock Book

31 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a Sgt Rock comic but I don't know the number. I believe Russ Heath did the artwork. Rock was leading 3 new kids and one by one they get killed. I think it was called A Walk In The Sun but I'm not sure. I think he also referred to the kids as his kindergarten kids

Any help would be greatly appreciated

John

Hey there,

Hmmmm. A stumper! I did a quick check of Pedrin's Guide, and couldn't find a reference to 'A Walk in the Sun', though I only gave the 1970s books a scan.

The story that did spring to mind was 'It's Murder Out Here', from Sgt. Rock #321. Not drawn by Heath, but Frank Redondo's art was at that time showing some Heath-like precision. Rock is patrolling with three new recruits (one who sleeps all the time, one who looks like a movie star and only cares about is hair, and one who play harmonica all the time). They think it's all a walk in the park (one of them may actually say 'a sunday walk' or 'a walk in the park') but Rock keeps reminding them that 'it's murder out here'. However, they all survive the story.

Not sure if that's it... certainly, the story really does sound familiar though. Any other details you can remember? Like, was this from the 1960s, 1970s or 80s. Could help to narrow it down.

Hope it helps,

Shep

Shep

I passed on the info to my customer and he replied:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, as best as I can remember, Rock is on patrol with 3 new guys. I'm not sure if they are brothers but I think their names are Steve, Al and Billy and Rock refers to them as his "kindegarten kids". I think it might take place in North Africa but again I'm not entirely sure. I'm pretty sure all 3 new guys ended up dead and I think one of them died when the group was strafed by a German fighter plane.

As far as a time frame, this comic would've been issued late 60's or VERY early 70's and I'm pretty positive that Russ Heath did the artwork. My grandmother used to work in Woolworth's and I remember she used to get me quite a few comics with the covers removed and I'm almost positive this was one she got me minus the cover. For some reason, I associate my memory of this comic with my grandparents old apartment in Yonkers, NY and I know they moved out of Yonkers by about 1973 so that's about as close as I can give you for a timeframe.

I hope this helps narrow it down. This would be great if I could nail this one down. I've been researching this off and on for several years now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the help

John

Hey there,

Hmmmm. A stumper! I did a quick check of Pedrin's Guide, and couldn't find a reference to 'A Walk in the Sun', though I only gave the 1970s books a scan.

The story that did spring to mind was 'It's Murder Out Here', from Sgt. Rock #321. Not drawn by Heath, but Frank Redondo's art was at that time showing some Heath-like precision. Rock is patrolling with three new recruits (one who sleeps all the time, one who looks like a movie star and only cares about is hair, and one who play harmonica all the time). They think it's all a walk in the park (one of them may actually say 'a sunday walk' or 'a walk in the park') but Rock keeps reminding them that 'it's murder out here'. However, they all survive the story.

Not sure if that's it... certainly, the story really does sound familiar though. Any other details you can remember? Like, was this from the 1960s, 1970s or 80s. Could help to narrow it down.

Hope it helps,

Shep

once again hail.gifhail.gif

As far as a time frame, this comic would've been issued late 60's or VERY early 70's and I'm pretty positive that Russ Heath did the artwork.

If you've got some extra time, you could look through these Heath listings, see if a title rings a bell:

http://www.comics.org/search.lasso?type=...no&skip=450

Here's a match to "A Sunday Walk ", but it's by Colan (and from 1952, but could easily have been reprinted in the late 60's/early 70's).

http://www.comics.org/details.lasso?id=10812

Bingo, bango, bongo! 893applaud-thumb.gifyay.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I believe I've got it.... acclaim.gif

Our Army at War #180 (May 1967)

The main story is called "You Can't Kill a General".

1st appearance of "Kindergarten Kids".

3 characters-Steve, Al, and Billy die

storie written by Kanigher and drawn by Heath

I'm sure that's it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Enjoy,

Andy

I'll let Shep answer your question about online resources, but any big five enthusiast (DC war comic collector) must go out and get a book that was already referred to earlier in this thread; Chris Pedrin's Big Five Information Guide. An absolute must! A must! Go get it and enjoy! (packed full of info, some stories and makes a great checklist) 893blahblah.gif

Cheers,

Andy

That Pedrin book is terrific. Motor City reportedly has copies because they bought the last of the print run from Pedrin.

Andy, good job on the ID. I knew I'd read the story this year but my Rock reading is all over the place this year. I've read the early Archives, some very late Rock and a lot of late SA OAAWs too. In this case I'd bought the 180 from a forum member this summer.

Marc

I called Motor City Comics today and they said that they had about 12 copies. acclaim.gif I told him that I'll take 10 of them, so he went to double check. He came back and said that he couldn't find any, but thought that he may still have 1 or 2, and he's definately keeping one. He didn't ask me to call back for the other copy, so I got the impression that he won't be digging it out any time soon. Christo_pull_hair.gif He told me to try Mile High Comics. You may want to look into that.

Good luck!

Andy

I've got my reference copy of Pedrin, which is all marked up, and a 'keeper' copy that I keep salted away. I bought a bunch of them in San Diego a few years back, and got Russ Heath to sign them. They unfortunately got ruined when I moved.... the ONE box that got water damage. Grrrr.

Good reference is hard to find!!! I started a book about Bronze Age DC war, but life has just kept me too busy to finish. Here's one of the pages from the Weird War Chapter, low-res.

Shep

Page2.jpg