• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sgt. Rock Book

31 posts in this topic

Hey Shep, I'm fully behind you for completing your book. I can only imagine how much work it is. I would really love to read more about these great books. In fact, I was kind of thinking about making my own if no one else will. Ha! Too bad I don't have a way with words.

John, I'll see what I can do to get you a copy. Sniff, sniff.

Andy

I've got my reference copy of Pedrin, which is all marked up, and a 'keeper' copy that I keep salted away. I bought a bunch of them in San Diego a few years back, and got Russ Heath to sign them. They unfortunately got ruined when I moved.... the ONE box that got water damage. Grrrr.

Good reference is hard to find!!! I started a book about Bronze Age DC war, but life has just kept me too busy to finish. Here's one of the pages from the Weird War Chapter, low-res.

Shep

Page2.jpg

very nice. you need to finish that. what is the rating scale all about?

Thanks for the kind words. I've actually finished the Weird War, Star Spangled War, Our Fighting Forces, Men of War, All Out War and Blitzkrieg Chapters.

The rating is a simple five star review-type rating of the quality of the book... ie, were the art and story in a particular issue amazing, or ho-hum? The stars, unfortunately, turned into upper case 'I's because of a stupid font substitution.

The whole idea of the book was to cast a critical eye on DC war comics of the 1968-88 period. It was about more than just providing crediting info (GCD will give you that). It was a bit of a roadmap as to how the books changed during this era, and which issues were the best ones (and which were probably best avoided).

I also compiled accurate and complete checklists for all the major backup series (USS Stevens, Bob Kanigher's Gallery of War, Enemy Ace, Dateline:Frontline and Medal of Honor). As well, there was reasonably accurate sales and circulation data for the titles on a year by year basis. And there was an essay of several pages that opened the books, outlining the history of each of the war titles in this period.

The truth is, though, I can't afford a Labour of Love right now, and reading and reviewing each book, while fun, is a LOT of work. Simply collecting all of them has been an enormous challenge.

That said, I do plan to finish it one day!

Shep

Whoa! So in depth!!! hail.gif That's just fantastic! There's really so much in that future book that I'm interested in. You know how Whitman comics from 1980 and I think 82 or 83 had such low print runs? It'd be verrrry interesting to see that kind of data for these war books, especially the during the days when the sales were low. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Neat stuff! thumbsup2.gif

Andy

Thanks for the kind words. I've actually finished the Weird War, Star Spangled War, Our Fighting Forces, Men of War, All Out War and Blitzkrieg Chapters.

The rating is a simple five star review-type rating of the quality of the book... ie, were the art and story in a particular issue amazing, or ho-hum? The stars, unfortunately, turned into upper case 'I's because of a stupid font substitution.

The whole idea of the book was to cast a critical eye on DC war comics of the 1968-88 period. It was about more than just providing crediting info (GCD will give you that). It was a bit of a roadmap as to how the books changed during this era, and which issues were the best ones (and which were probably best avoided).

I also compiled accurate and complete checklists for all the major backup series (USS Stevens, Bob Kanigher's Gallery of War, Enemy Ace, Dateline:Frontline and Medal of Honor). As well, there was reasonably accurate sales and circulation data for the titles on a year by year basis. And there was an essay of several pages that opened the books, outlining the history of each of the war titles in this period.

The truth is, though, I can't afford a Labour of Love right now, and reading and reviewing each book, while fun, is a LOT of work. Simply collecting all of them has been an enormous challenge.

That said, I do plan to finish it one day!

Shep

man sounds like a great read. did you scan your own comics.

The scans for the book were 95% my own. I only scanned books that were VF+ or better. At the time, there were some books that still needed upgrading, so I grabbed jpegs from the web.

I've since gotten a much better and faster scanner... if I ever get the time, I'll rescan everything and do it in colour.

Shep