• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are original scripts considered original art?

10 posts in this topic

I've been reading a little bit about what goes into the -script of a comic; the manuscript that the author provides the illustrator.

There is no standard for scripts (which I think makes them all the more interesting) but they can be extremely complex and very illuminating. The author will not only provide the dialog but will also explain how a scene and characters should be rendered. Some scripts are more detailed than others.

Today with electronic documents obtaining an "original -script" would be problematic, but wouldn't it be great to have the printed -script that the artist used when drawing the comic or perhaps the hand written -script of older comics or a printed -script signed by the author?

Has anyone collected these. Are original scripts considered "art"?

I think that only an original handwritten or typed -script would be of interest. I haven't come across anything like that, even though it would be very interesting. I doubt many of them survive.

Anyone have any original Stan Lee Silver Age scripts?

Excellent question.

I have seen tons and tons and tons of art over the years but very few of the original scripts.

The only original -script I own is from Showcase #34 - the first appearance of the Atom.

Stephen

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif Nice!

I'd love to have an Alan Moore -script or a 100 Bullets -script. cloud9.gif

I wouldn't consider them "original art"...but I would say they are a nice accessory to OA.

if you own a page from a particular issue, as well as the -script that would be a nice bonus! smile.gif

I'd call 'em "OA memorabilia".

my 2cents.

-H

You can check out my art production page on my website which has some examples of the "beat sheet" which was obtained from Dan Jurgens and the -script which was given to me by Scot Eaton when I purchased the original art to the entire issue. I hope that helps you get an idea anyway. I also have the -script to Thor #79 as well, but it is very similar to #78 in format.

Enforcer

Here's a link to scans of a -script I own:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=25597

It's most definitely original art, because John Albano, who was originally a cartoonist and cartoon editor for the National Enquirer, drew his scripts in cartoon form. This one is from the first appearance of Jonah Hex in All-Star Western 10. It's only the second -script I have ever been fortunate to own. The other is from a Star Wars Tales story by Beau Smith. But, of course, that -script was done on a computer, so it's probably a copy of a -script.

Mike Browning

I have a stack of artist issued scripts from the Spider-Man daily strip(early 1980's), they are pretty cool to read. Included is a model sheet for all the Spidy characters and villians(headshots only except for Spidy). Each Sunday page -script takes up a full page.

th_script-1.jpg

Stephen wrote:

The only original -script I own is from Showcase #34 - the first appearance of the Atom.

I own 8 Timely scripts. One is a pre-code horror -script from MEN'S ADVENTURES #23, one is a romance -script and 6 are teen humor scripts, 3 Jeanie and 3 Frankie scripts. All were written by Timely scribe Burt Frohman.

Doc V.