• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Transfer stains and grade

76 posts in this topic

bumpit.gif

This issue (related issue?) came up in another thread, so I thought I'd move that discussion here.

shiverbones noted:

"The wet stacking problem is most noticeable on warren mags, it happened on almost all of them during the mid 60's because of that, often the whites on the back covers pick up the darks of the cover stacked against. Certain inks dry slower then others, which is why its often a dark blue. I worked at a pre press design shop for awhile, I assure you it is real."

And here's a side-by-side comparison of an ink transfer stain as exhibited on the front/back covers of Marvel Spotlight #2, as you can see, the ink stains on the front are a mirror image of the ink pattern on the back:

ms2_transfer.jpg

From reading the various linked threads, people are also referring to an "ink transfer stain" as you commonly see on BA white-covered books like GS X-men #1 where there's a yellow "halo" in the center of the cover (I believe this would be more appropriately called an oil transfer stain), and there's another phenomena where inks, particularily (only?) red inks are actually transferred from an interior page to a cover (as shown in the 1st post in this thread and described above by Zipper68).

This is quite common, but may not be attributable to what some people refer to as 'wet stacking before the inks are dry'. Simple micro-environment humidity may be the cause of this.

Not according to shiverbones (read his quotes above). In addition, it's highly unlikely that comic books would be manufactured with water-soluble inks.

"Ink transfer stains are when acids from the interior pages migrate through the coverstock giving it that greasy, yellowish translucent look. An ink bleeding effect often accompanies this phenomena... red inks seem especially susceptible. What we are seeing on the 9.8 ASM 151 are the red inks bleeding from whatever is on the interior of the back cover. This is not a production defect."

I've owned about 8 copies of a certain Gold Key comic with a light cover. They all have a bleed to the front cover from the advertisement on the interior of the front cover, you can see the outlines of the images, etc. If they all exhibit this trait, wouldn't this be something in the production process?

This is quite common, but may not be attributable to what some people refer to as 'wet stacking before the inks are dry'. Simple micro-environment humidity may be the cause of this.

Not according to shiverbones (read his quotes above). In addition, it's highly unlikely that comic books would be manufactured with water-soluble inks.

Change "highly unlikely" to "certain" and you've got it. They were oil based inks. That's where the oil transfer stains come from. (The hazy, green stains you see on the interior covers of older books, and the translucency you see on Bronze Age books.)

Remember when we discussed this at Orale last time it came up? There is a technical term for the wet stacking transference stain. It is called "offset" (or something like that). I read that in one of those old Lithographer's Manuals I got. I'll try to find and scan the page that discusses it when I am at home.

Change "highly unlikely" to "certain" and you've got it. They were oil based inks. That's where the oil transfer stains come from. (The hazy, green stains you see on the interior covers of older books, and the translucency you see on Bronze Age books.)

And everyone knows that oils are ubiquitous in micro-environments wink.gif You guys kill me . . . 27_laughing.gif

And everyone knows that oils are ubiquitous in micro-environments wink.gif You guys kill me . . . 27_laughing.gif

Oils are ubiquitous in micro-environments? I'm not even sure that YOU know what you meant by that. 27_laughing.gif

Remember when we discussed this at Orale last time it came up? There is a technical term for the wet stacking transference stain. It is called "offset" (or something like that). I read that in one of those old Lithographer's Manuals I got. I'll try to find and scan the page that discusses it when I am at home.

Yes, I do, and I agree that it exists. But "wet stacking" does not in any way explain all examples of ink transference. sumo.gif

Oils are ubiquitous in micro-environments? I'm not even sure that YOU know what you meant by that. 27_laughing.gif

Touch your finger to your nose . . . oily - right? wink.gif

Touch your finger to your nose . . . oily - right? wink.gif

That picture in your avatar is you, isn't it. poke2.gifyay.gif