• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what exactly was a NO-PRIZE?

14 posts in this topic

I always thought it was just that......No prize.......but I never really knew either and have often wondered what it might be while reading old letters sections in comics.

Excellent question. Does anyone have any insight or has anyone even.....gasp.....won a no-prize before? 893whatthe.gif

Really? confused.gif

That's pretty funny. insane.gif

Yea it is! It was Stan's polite way of telling people who were overly concerned with trivial points of plot/character/story/action/art that they're full of [!@#%^&^]. He had such a marvelous way of turning what for most people would've been a negative comment ("Who gives a [!@#%^&^] whether Cap's shield was on his left hip on panel 21 and somehow changed to his right hip on panel 22!?!?!?") into a mysterious, memorable lampoon.

Stan shouldn't be the only one Marvel credits with creating their core characters, but the people who say he was unnecessary seem to not even understand what his contribution to Marvel was...he had a lot of personality and it showed in most of his work during the 60s.

I got my NO_PRIZE for a story I wrote and they used. The NO-PRIZE was indeed a empty envelope. Mine had a picture of the HULK on it. Said something on it like; "Great story, hope to see more." Never got another NO-PRIZE after that one.

I got my NO_PRIZE for a story I wrote and they used. The NO-PRIZE was indeed a empty envelope. Mine had a picture of the HULK on it. Said something on it like; "Great story, hope to see more." Never got another NO-PRIZE after that one.

A NO-PRIZE but NO-Pay?!?!?! shocked.gif

See, that's a bad twist of Stan's original purpose of the no-prize as a way to make the nit-pickers feel kinda stupid. He hyped it so much that it became something desirable...it shouldn't have been used to give rewards for substantial work or feedback.

What was the story/issue?

What was the story/issue?

Hulk 340?