• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HULK MOVIE IS A+

171 posts in this topic

I saw the Hulk Movie last night at midnight, and even though the movie thetaer I was at screwed up the order of the reels, (Something they later fixed for us)

the Movie was like a living breathing comicbook.

HULK is a love it or hate it movie.

I am in the love it crowd.

ANY OTHER "Love It"s?

893applaud-thumb.gif

It's Batman 1989 all over again..people were pissed cause it wasn't like the old TV show and how they changed everything,but yet after people saw it they loved it and it made at the time a zillion dollars..this is 1989 all over again with the Hulk,I knew it was going to be great cause of the director behind it,I never doubted this movie once. cloud9.gif

It's Batman 1989 all over again..people were pissed cause it wasn't like the old TV show and how they changed everything,but yet after people saw it they loved it and it made at the time a zillion dollars..this is 1989 all over again with the Hulk,I knew it was going to be great cause of the director behind it,I never doubted this movie once. cloud9.gif

have u seen it?

I went into the movie with some low expectations, and really enjoyed it. It was far better than I thought it would be, with a good story and some decent acting. All in all, a very good flick.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but does Jennifer Connelly take her shirt off?

Fanboyz just wanna know if there is a Jennifer Connelly shower scene & where they can buy the poster. wink.gif

nope i think i read male partial nudeness......this is a quote from the NYPost....

The movie's multiple failures significantly begin with the Hulk himself, a downright silly looking, computer-generated figure that makes you long for Lou Ferrigno (the TV Hulk of the '70s and '80s, who puts in a cameo as a security guard).

have not read the reviews yet but USAToday,Boston Herald and the Boston Globe gave it 2/4 stars.

Toronto Sun Review

http://www.canoe.ca/JamMoviesReviewsH/hulk-can.html

'Hulk' mired by ponderous plot

By JOHN POWELL -- JAM! Showbiz

He's green. He's mean. He's a tank trouncing, building busting, missile mashing machine. The brain child of comic book legends Stan 'The Man' Lee and Jack 'King' Kirby in 1962 when classic monsters were putting the hurt on traditional superheros in the marketplace, The Incredible Hulk has forever been one of the cornerstone characters in the Marvel Comics universe.

Loosely based on Robert Louis Stevenson's 'Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde', The Hulk and his 'puny human' alter-ego - tormented scientist Bruce Banner - have gone through many incarnations over the years to keep things jumping. First there was the classic Banner transforming to a bestial "Hulk smash!" monstrosity when someone was unfortunate enough to tick him off. Then there was the period when The Hulk and Banner were divided into separate beings. Don't understand? Don't worry. It's a comic book thing. Of course, there was the ever-popular Banner gaining control over the metamorphosis and keeping his egghead intellect intact while thundering around as the 'Green Goliath'. To keep things simple, The Hulk in the feature film treatment is the angry rampaging brute whose verbal communication skills consist of grunts, growls and the occasional groan.

Even in the classic television series starring Bill 'You won't like me when I'm angry' Bixby and Lou Ferrigno which integrated elements of 'The Fugitive' just for kicks, Banner was a tortured soul. Not as tortured as he was in the comics mind you with Banner suffering from a split personality disorder as a result of surviving an abusive father who murdered his mother. That's not exactly the stuff for prime time television or young children and neither is Ang Lee's Hulk. Surprisingly, it is even more dreary than the comic books could be.

The big screen origin of The Hulk is intensely insidious and also a stroke of genius. Banner's father is a scientist who does the unspeakable - he conducts experiments on himself and then on his own son. Unable to remember but haunted by the trauma he endured as a child, Banner (played by Eric Bana) follows in his father's footsteps and becomes a gifted scientist toiling in the field of genetic research. Banner's ex-girlfriend, Betty Ross (Jennifer Connelly), works alongside him. Unable to move beyond the emotional wall Banner has built around himself, their relationship hit the skids. Undaunted, Ross pokes and prods Banner archiving tiny breakthroughs here and there.

As in the comic books, an accident barrages Banner with what should be a lethal dose of gamma radiation. Instead of killing him, it triggers a change. Whenever Banner is threatened or faced with emotional distress, he morphs into the superhuman powerhouse known as The Hulk. Suffering from blackouts and unable to recall his destructive temper tantrums, Banner runs afoul of Betty's dad - General 'Thunderbolt' Ross (Sam Elliot). Unlike the two-dimension character in the comic books, 'Thunderbolt' is portrayed in a somewhat sympathetic light as he attempts to defend his only daughter and prevent The Hulk from causing untold damage, death and destruction.

It is not just tanks, helicopter and trigger-happy army men who hound The Hulk either. Josh Lucas is corporate meanie Glenn Talbot who sees The Hulk as his ticket to fame and untold wealth. There is a super villain too...and he is one of The Hulk's cruelest. A new and clever spin is put on this baddie such as his powers don't come from Loki, the Asgardian god of mischief. Don't understand? Don't worry. It's a comic book thing.

Ang Lee's gutsy take on The Hulk mythos is an oddity as far as summer blockbusters go. Don't be suckered in by the trailers. Hulk's mayhem only accounts for about one-third of the film's running time...and most of that is in the last 40 minutes or so. Ang Lee ('The Ice Storm', 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon') concentrates more on Banner and Betty's obsession with digging up Banner's disturbing past. At a ponderous two and a half hours, you have to sit through misery upon misery before arriving at the no holds barred action scenes. Usually with summer blockbusters the criticism is that the plots are as thin as the current 'Arrivals' line at Toronto's Pearson Airport. The Hulk is just the reverse. There is too much storyline and not enough unbridled pandemonium that summer movie-goers might come to expect. The payoff during the finale is certainly a case of too little, too late.

Though Eric Bana is as sympathetic and engaging as Bill Bixby was in the television series, the real stars of The Hulk are Denis Muren and the other FX wizards at Industrial Light and Magic. A total computer creation made of bits and bytes, The Hulk astonishingly engenders a wide-range of emotions in us. His awesome power and presence shocks and shudders. His tenderness and vulnerability amazes especially in a scene where depleted and depressed, he drops down to his knees in front of Betty. Without any lines to speak, often times his facial expressions and body language are used to convey feeling and emotion. ILM's work here is nothing short of miraculous. The Academy might as well save some time and inscribe those Oscars now.

Depending on your expectations going in, The Hulk is not a fun film either. The tone is very dismal and depressing. The humour is virtually non-existent. It's the antithesis of Raimi's 'Spider-Man' in every way and not the sort of material youngsters (say those under seven) can deal with on an emotional level. They will either be bored by the almost suffocating human drama or have the [!@#%^&^] scared out of them by the elements surrounding Banner's twisted childhood. Lee's shuttling split-screen effects (symbolizing Banner's chaotic split personality) and the cinematic 'flipping' between scenes gives The Hulk the look and feel of a comic book but his melodramatic stylings seems out of place when one considers it is a movie about...well...The Hulk. It seems Lee would've been better off putting his flair for piercing operatic drama to use on something like 'Daredevil' or 'The Punisher' instead.

Perhaps The Hulk's greatest failing is that doesn't answer the one question that has beleaguered comic book fans since Stan Lee and Jack Kirby gave birth to the emerald behemoth so many years ago. The question that has befuddled even the most die-hard aficionados. How the heck do Banner's pants expand to accommodate his transformation into The Hulk? I guess we'll have to wait for the sequel.

have not read the reviews yet but USAToday,Boston Herald and the Boston Globe gave it 2/4 stars.

Toronto Sun Review

How the heck do Banner's pants expand to accommodate his transformation into The Hulk? I guess we'll have to wait for the sequel.

The pants are symbiotic like Spidey's Alien costume grin.gif

Ugh. Wait a minute. Just what the heck are the pants feeding on?! shocked.gif

Just what the heck are the pants feeding on?!

Have you ever seen the Hulk take a shower? No - and the pants feed on the stuff that accumulates in those various hidden cracks and crevices that aren't getting washed...gamma-spawned none-the-less!! blush.gif

I saw the Hulk Movie..very cool! Hulk looked great..much better than the green painted bodybuilder,He looks better in the daytime than at night,he's kinda hard to see when it's dark.The TV hulk did look stupid but that is what people are used to seeing.

I haven't seen this movie yet, but I can tell you all that it sucks with a capital "S". The critics who liked this movie are . The mother who gave birth to the director is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person. And the people at the theatre who sell you a ticket without punk slapping you upside your head for buying it are . This dried up, computer generated puke stain that they're trying to pass off as a movie is just another overhyped, dressed up turd that you fanboys will flock to no matter how bad it is. You're all .

People are being too hard on this movie based on a few reviews from the workprint that was released on the internet. Frankly, I think this Hulk adaptation will end up being just fine. A roided out Lou Ferrigno in green face paint and torn shorts would look completely dumb in this day and age.