• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT Anyone watch top gear? Uk tv programme

5 posts in this topic

Not sure if you get this show in the states?

Hope he pulls through ok frown.gif Great presenter of a great show.

1449107.jpg

"Top Gear Man In Crash

Updated: 22:27, Wednesday September 20, 2006

Richard Hammond, one of the presenters of TV's Top Gear, is in critical condition following a car crash.

Mr Hammond was hurt while filming an edition of the show near Leeds.

He was reportedly trying to set a new land speed record for Britain in a jet-powered Vampire car when it overturned.

Mr Hammond was said to have been reaching speeds of up to 280mph as the accident happened.

He was taken to Leeds General Infirmary.

Firefighter Dave Ogden, who witnessed the crash, told Sky News that the 36-year-old presenter was able to speak as he was taken out of the wreckage of the car.

Inspector Mike Thompson, of North Yorkshire Police, said officers were dealing with the incident at Elvington airfield, southeast of York, where the filming was taking place.

He said: "At 5.45pm this evening we received a report via the fire service of a male person trapped in what was described as an overturned jet car which had been driven on the airfield.

"The male occupant has received serious injuries and has been airlifted to hospital at Leeds."

A spokeswoman for the BBC, which produces Top Gear, said: "The incident happened quite recently and the focus of our attention is on Richard at this stage."

Mr Hammond, who lives near Cheltenham with his wife Amanda and their two daughters, has also presented Sky's Brainiac and shows including Time Commanders and Petrolheads."

I'm very sorry to hear about that. The show, Top Gear, is one of my favorites. I love it when they take a car that costs over 100K USD and thrash it around a racetrack.

I have noticed, though, that they seldom use other than 3 point restraints, and often don't wear helmets on-track. They wouldn't get away with that in the US.

I presume that at 280 mph, he was wearing full protective gear. The fact that he was talking when pulled from the wreck leads me to think he must have been using safety gear of some sort...

1405262-kormanm3m3m3.jpg.a3d83a46df615ede81bed0d1098b131c.jpg

Wow, hope he gets better. I love that show, even the features on everyday cars. I'm surprised he was involved in such an extreme driving event, though. I thought it was "The Stig" that handled all the really tough driving.

I have noticed, though, that they seldom use other than 3 point restraints, and often don't wear helmets on-track. They wouldn't get away with that in the US.

I don't think the driving on the track is usually done by Jeremy or Richard. It's usually done by The Stig, who most definitely wears a helmet (if for no other reason than to hide his identity).