• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Any info on San Francisco

86 posts in this topic

house of nanking is not "chinese food", it's chinese food for the non chinese folks. if you walk into a "chinese" restaurant with no asian peeps inside, what do you think? gossip.gif

27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gifhail.gif

Note to FFB: if you want to be a foodie, don't go into a Chinese restaurant and order moo shu pork or kung pao chicken. And don't call the dumplings "pot stickers"! Christo_pull_hair.gif

I call them what the menu calls them. makepoint.gif

That should've been your first clue, grasshopper! poke2.gif

And the moo shu pork and kung pao chicken are house specialties. cloud9.gifyay.gif

Yes, but the foodies don't order them. gossip.gif

Having said that, when I come back to the US for vacation, I will usually at some point break down and get some American-style Chinese food. I know, I know, screwy.gif. My wife says that too. 27_laughing.gif

If you come to SF, I will take you to Hunan Home's and you will eat potstickers, kung pao chicken, and spicy hunan prawns. AND A FORTUNE COOKIE AND ORANGE WEDGES! makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

Okay, if you pay, I guess I will force myself to endure this incredible indignity. 27_laughing.gif

screwy.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Got something to say, sweet & sour pork boy? sumo.gif

That's a way better custom title than what he's got now.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

house of nanking is not "chinese food", it's chinese food for the non chinese folks. if you walk into a "chinese" restaurant with no asian peeps inside, what do you think? gossip.gif

Note to FFB: if you want to be a foodie, don't go into a Chinese restaurant and order moo shu pork or kung pao chicken. And don't call the dumplings "pot stickers"! Christo_pull_hair.gif

I call them what the menu calls them. makepoint.gif

That should've been your first clue, grasshopper! poke2.gif

And the moo shu pork and kung pao chicken are house specialties. cloud9.gifyay.gif

Yes, but the foodies don't order them. gossip.gif

Having said that, when I come back to the US for vacation, I will usually at some point break down and get some American-style Chinese food. I know, I know, screwy.gif. My wife says that too. 27_laughing.gif

If you come to SF, I will take you to Hunan Home's and you will eat potstickers, kung pao chicken, and spicy hunan prawns. AND A FORTUNE COOKIE AND ORANGE WEDGES! makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

Okay, if you pay, I guess I will force myself to endure this incredible indignity. 27_laughing.gif

screwy.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Got something to say, sweet & sour pork boy? sumo.gif

That's a way better custom title than what he's got now.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

I call them what the menu calls them. makepoint.gif And the moo shu pork and kung pao chicken are house specialties. cloud9.gifyay.gif

We actually ate at Hunan Home's tonight.. and it was okay, but not great. (Didn't order the potstickers..)

Seafood soup with bean curd, Mongolian Beef, Hunan Home Chicken in garlic sauce, prawns with lobster sauce. White rice.

I'd recommend Restaurant Peony in Oakland's Chinatown over any of the Chinese restaurants in SF so far actually (and for Dim Sum) although the service there can be very slow. (There's a Chinese only menu that has additional dishes there as well... plus you can select the actual fish you want from the tank if you're so inclined for fresh fish.)

For fresh dumplings and Baozi, Shan Dong Restaurant in Oakland used to be very good. (We still buy their dumplings 50 to a bag.. and they produce fresh Baozi (steamed stuffed buns) around 5pm.)

There WAS a huge Tourist line for House of Nanking though...

We actually ate at Hunan Home's tonight.. and it was okay, but not great.

screwy.gif

(Didn't order the potstickers..)

I am told they're called "dumplings," not "potstickers." makepoint.gif

insane.gif

(Didn't order the potstickers..)

I am told they're called "dumplings," not "potstickers." makepoint.gif

insane.gif

27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif

Actually, I personally differentiate them by the way they're prepared... I.E. potstickers are the ones that are fried and dumplings are the ones that are boiled.

It's Hunan style food vs Hong Kong style food. (I guess I just prefer Hong Kong style cuisine.)