• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 Marvel artists of all time !!!

67 posts in this topic

Some good discussion here. My question is this: By "top 10 Marvel artists" do you mean -- the best artists, the most historically important (within the context of comics) artists or the most influential artists?

I think some people are arguing from different perspectives. For instance, Don Heck doesn't fall on any of these lists -- I don't collect his work myself -- and, yet, he was an important artist during Marvel's beginning superhero years.

Don's there on the lists of a few of us who enjoyed his work.

For myself, I listed favourite artists from my era of nostalgia (the 60s). Not necessarily 'the most important' - other than in the sense they were important to me.

Although some of the responses you'll read here can sound contentious, I regard this is as little more than an exchange of views and opinions. As such, nothing to get ruffled about. wink.gif

When I started this post, I asked what a general consensus would be of the top 10 Marvel artists of all time. It should of used "the best artists, the most historically important (within the context of comics) artists or the most influential artists" as a means of creating such a list.

It has taken a life on itself, with a lot of people including personal preference as a basis for their reasoning. Which is fine, I was just wondering if we as a group could create a definitive list.

Jim

When I started this post, I asked what a general consensus would be of the top 10 Marvel artists of all time. It should of used "the best artists, the most historically important (within the context of comics) artists or the most influential artists" as a means of creating such a list.

It has taken a life on itself, with a lot of people including personal preference as a basis for their reasoning. Which is fine, I was just wondering if we as a group could create a definitive list.

Jim

thumbsup2.gif Agreed, which is why my list looks like this:

1. Jack Kirby

2. Steve Ditko

3. Neal Adams

4. Jim Steranko

5. Barry Smith

6. John Romita Sr.

7. John Byrne

8. Frank Miller

9. Todd MacFarlane

10.Jim Lee

If it were my own personal favorites, Ditko, Romita and Miller wouldn't be in there.

I like MacFarlane, so sue me! wink.gif

Jim

As art appreciation is such a subjective thing, I don't think there will ever be a definitive list. Personal preference has to play a part in any list of this type. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, I'm actually happy to see John Buscema get so much respect in this thread. thumbsup2.gif

He's one of my favorites for sure though I rarely think of him as a superhero artist. Probably because he said he preferred the non-superhero books. Buscema is broken out in guide at times, such as Four Color 1006. Kirby isn't broken out for stuff like Avengers 1-8. For artists who did a lot of work, it's somewhat random what's broken out in guide. Somebody like Russ Heath might not be mentioned for his work in Mystery Tales yet he gets a mention for Son of Satan 8. confused-smiley-013.gif

Marc

Jim

thumbsup2.gif Agreed, which is why my list looks like this:

1. Jack Kirby

2. Steve Ditko

3. Neal Adams

4. Jim Steranko

5. Barry Smith

6. John Romita Sr.

7. John Byrne

8. Frank Miller

9. Todd MacFarlane

10.Jim Lee

If it were my own personal favorites, Ditko, Romita and Miller wouldn't be in there.

I like MacFarlane, so sue me! wink.gif

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif also agreed, which is why my infinitely better list looks like this;

1. King Kirby

2. John Buscema

3. John Byrne

4. Ditko

5. Romita Sr.

6. BWS

7. Steranko

8. Neal Adams

9. McFarlane

10. Gil Kane

i don't much care for half of the guys on this list - sue me - but i chose them for their importance and influence on the Marvel Universe. and i just don't see Neal Adams as "most historically important" vis a vis Marvel, although his prodigous talent alone is enough to keep him on the list