• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jack Davis, am I the only one that likes his work?

15 posts in this topic

I don't own any, but I really like his style. Probably my favorite work are the monster cards he did (Funny Monsters I believe). Does anyone else like/own any of his stuff?

At one time or another I've owned two of Jack's EC stories. "Mud!" (TWO FISTED-TALES # 25) and "Let the Punishment Fit the Crime!" (VAULT OF HORROR # 33).

Yeah, Jack's work is terrific. Although I'm mostly into collecting cover originals nowadays, I hope to one day get myself one of Jack's EC covers.

But what I really want, right now, is a Wally Wood EC cover. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

His post-EC work is heavily stylized, a style you either like or don't. I don't.

His work, from any era, is heavily stylized. EC encouraged Davis to develop his own style.

You either like or don't like (that style), you say?

I do.

Very much.

And I can certainly admire any artist who is true to himself - and not to some 'house' style.

And as for your own efforts at art . . . which is also heavily stylized . . . you could apply the same reaction to your own stuff - i.e. you either like it or don't.

I don't.

I love Davis' work. His EC stuff was great; his MAD magazine stuff was wonderful. Whenever I saw a Davis piece -- and there were years when he seemed to pop up everywhere, from MAD to TV Guide to print advertising -- I was instantly drawn to it.

I am less in love with the artists that were influenced by Davis and showed it in their work (most often, it seemed, in MAD magazine-type wanna-bees). The imitators out there had some of the Davis style in their renderings but never seemed to capture the spark that the original put in his work.

His post-EC work is heavily stylized, a style you either like or don't. I don't.

His work, from any era, is heavily stylized. EC encouraged Davis to develop his own style.

You either like or don't like (that style), you say?

I do.

Very much.

And I can certainly admire any artist who is true to himself - and not to some 'house' style.

And as for your own efforts at art . . . which is also heavily stylized . . . you could apply the same reaction to your own stuff - i.e. you either like it or don't.

I don't.

Sure man, it's all good in the 'hood. Wouldn't necessarily expect contemporary "stylized" figurative and abstract work to appear to comic art fans. Fear not. A few of them are my fans and probably Davis's too!

I own one of his EC scifi covers and I love it. He's an extremely talented artist and in some ways his EC work comes close to rivaling woods in pure artistic talent in my opinion, but he also has a very stylistic approach which he melds in almost seamlessly (unlike Feldstein who's work is very stylized in such a way that it jumps out at you - which is also fine).

-Peter

I own one of his EC scifi covers and I love it. He's an extremely talented artist and in some ways his EC work comes close to rivaling woods in pure artistic talent in my opinion, but he also has a very stylistic approach which he melds in almost seamlessly (unlike Feldstein who's work is very stylized in such a way that it jumps out at you - which is also fine).

-Peter

Which cover do you have?

-Peter

Interestingly, I don't think Davis had the same flair for Science-Fiction trappings as did Wood.

Davis, to my mind, was more suited to War, Horror and Humour. There, he excelled.

By the way, who are you? Peter . . . Peter Hansen??

Just curious . . .

-Peter

Interestingly, I don't think Davis had the same flair for Science-Fiction trappings as did Wood.

Davis, to my mind, was more suited to War, Horror and Humour. There, he excelled.

Just curious . . .

Peter Shapiro (I'm in NYC) - I don't have a CAF gallery (one day I'll try to put one up).

I may be biased because I own one of the three EC sci fi covers Davis did (and it's definitely one of the best two - the third cover, with the mammoth I'm not crazy about) but I think his work was just as well suited to scifi - it's just that he didn't do it much, so maybe he didn't perfect doing them as much as he might have on the war and horror. In some ways the cover I have reminds me of wood's work because it has a lot of cool background gadetry. But I won't argue against the idea that wood is a great scifi artist and is particularly known for his scifi covers - and in wood's case I think his scifi covers are better than his covers in other genres.

-Peter

At one time, Jack Davis was the most successful illustrator of his kind in America. He has an unmistakable style. His Mad work was great. He could do some good women too. I'd love to get a Jack Davis, but my niche seems to be pictures featuring attractive women and those by Davis don't seem to come up.

-Peter

Just curious . . .

Peter Shapiro (I'm in NYC) - I don't have a CAF gallery (one day I'll try to put one up).

I may be biased because I own one of the three EC sci fi covers Davis did (and it's definitely one of the best two - the third cover, with the mammoth I'm not crazy about) but I think his work was just as well suited to scifi - it's just that he didn't do it much, so maybe he didn't perfect doing them as much as he might have on the war and horror. In some ways the cover I have reminds me of wood's work because it has a lot of cool background gadetry. But I won't argue against the idea that wood is a great scifi artist and is particularly known for his scifi covers - and in wood's case I think his scifi covers are better than his covers in other genres.

-Peter

It's actually his design work - spacemen, spaceships, etc - that doesn't quite cut it for me. Not sleek, sophisticated or futuristic-looking. Jack's Science-Fiction work is interesting, but doesn't have the flair of Wood, Williamson, Krigstein, etc.

Funnily enough, the cover with the mammoth is the Davis ISF cover I like best out of the three!

As for Wood, his work outside of the S-F titles is also terrific. Some of those early SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES covers he did are easily on a par with the WEIRD SCIENCE jobs (especially those for SHOCK #s 4, 5 and 6). The cover to TWO-FISTED TALES # 33 is also similarly outstanding.

Do you by chance collect vintage British art, Peter (e.g. Hampson and Bellamy)?

-Peter

Just curious . . .

-Peter

It's actually his design work - spacemen, spaceships, etc - that doesn't quite cut it for me. Not sleek, sophisticated or futuristic-looking. Jack's Science-Fiction work is interesting, but doesn't have the flair of Wood, Williamson, Krigstein, etc.

Funnily enough, the cover with the mammoth is the Davis ISF cover I like best out of the three!

As for Wood, his work outside of the S-F titles is also terrific. Some of those early SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES covers he did are easily on a par with the WEIRD SCIENCE jobs (especially those for SHOCK #s 4, 5 and 6). The cover to TWO-FISTED TALES # 33 is also similarly outstanding.

Do you by chance collect vintage British art, Peter (e.g. Hampson and Bellamy)?

I do not currently have any pieces by Hampson or Bellamy but I do like those color Dan Dare pages - maybe one day. I have one Bolland Dredd cover and that's pretty much the extent of my British art collection.

-Peter